Old 02-26-2016, 02:05 AM   #1

Fuel Filter plastic O-ring !

If you replace your Prism's fuel filter yourself, be "EXTREMELY" careful removing and reinserting the fuel filter's "fragile plastic clip ring" or O-Ring, whatever you call it, on the fuel input line connector. Can't believe Mercedes did that.
RV shops are really bad about making you leave your RV there for 2wks for even something as easy an oil or fuel filter change. So I do these repairs myself. Took me 2hrs.
With a Mercedes its good for you to know how to do the simple maintenance repairs. You sure don't want to be stranded out on a trip. I read so many unfortunate stories of folks having to leave their RV at shops for a week or more when they're on a trip. That's the down side of these Mercedes. Mine tried to strand us twice, but I got the upper hand. (Mamma is sure grateful to have me around on those days)

Old 02-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #2

Got it! We are scheduled to pick up our new Prism tomorrow (totally new to RVing).
I'm a 'hand wringer' by nature so I've been soaking up everything I can both here and on YouTube.

I like doing things myself as well.....it's amazing how much less you can manage to screw things up (if you're careful) than a 'professional' at a dealership (or wherever).

Anyways, YouTube was careful about showing that clip, the O ring, and how not to break it (and a quick fix if you do).

But thanks! I have to believe at least half the problems with these vehicles are actually 'dealer induced'.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #3

Also, did you know you can drain/sump your fuel system from under the hood? Around page 247 or so in the Owner's Manual (at least for the '14).

Some folks are under the impression the fuel filter must be changed to sump it.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

Sidenote on being a YouTube hero.....my neighbors were ready to trade in their new Volvo with under 20k miles on it. Transmission would absolutely not go into Overdrive. Frustrated visits and lost time at the dealership, etc. Recommended a full replacement unit out of Sweden that would take months to arrive...you name it.

I took a quick look on Youtube, got out my voltage meter, and replaced a faulty 15 cent fuse for the electronic transmission control unit.

I haven't had to buy a beer since. And hoping to get away with parking the Prism in the driveway for longer than the HOA allows....
Old 02-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron in TX View Post
Also, did you know you can drain/sump your fuel system from under the hood? Around page 247 or so in the Owner's Manual (at least for the '14).

Some folks are under the impression the fuel filter must be changed to sump it.
I have a 2013 chassis and the hose on the sump drain is approx 24". Should be an easy task.