Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 10:31 PM   #1

Full Wall Slide

Issue: full wall slide would intermittently fail to extend.

Diagnosis: loose wiring connection to front slide motor.

Cause: extending wall slide (to stop limit) stressed the wire connection to the front motor, eventually loosening the wire connection at the motor to the point that front motor would no longer operate.

Solution: reconnected loose wire connection at front motor. With slide closed and looking from inside the rig, look in the narrow space between the closed slide and cab area. After locating the vertical slide seal, pull back the top portion of the seal a few inches and this will expose the front motor and wire connection. Reconnect wire at connector near motor.

Prevention: per dealer tech recommendation, I do not fully extend slide to the stop limits. Release slide switch before the slide fully extends (just before the slide would stop normally). Am only going to sync slide motors with slide in closed position.

Next step: after returning from current trip, dealer will install steel reinforcing corner brackets behind the decorative trim sections of the slide.

Comment: In owning this rig since new, I worried about the slide repeatedly ramming the trim pieces upon fulling extending the slide. Although the trim pieces have survived, an electrical connection didn't.

I really enjoy the full slide aspect of my 2016 Forester 2401W, but make sure the slide is operating as designed before embarking on a long trip.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #2

I think I would find another dealer or repair shop when they tell me that the "wire is too short so don't extend slide all the way"?? What's wrong with adding wire or replacing length of wire to correct size? Do you really want to have a slide that you can't open all the way because a wire is too short"?? Sounds like they have put the ownership of the problem on you, vs the selling dealer..
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
I think I would find another dealer or repair shop when they tell me that the "wire is too short so don't extend slide all the way"?? What's wrong with adding wire or replacing length of wire to correct size? Do you really want to have a slide that you can't open all the way because a wire is too short"?? Sounds like they have put the ownership of the problem on you, vs the selling dealer..
This was just an emergency work-around fix so I could start a two month trip. It will return to the dealer for a permanent repair in a couple of months. Sorry for the confusion.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide