Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #1

Furrion DV5600 Entertainment System - failed

The Furrion DV5600 installed in my outside entertainment box will not power on. It is connected properly, has power supplied to unit (and fuse is good). Factory says I need to replace the unit. It is out of warranty, so I need to purchase a new one. Since the unit is only two years old, I am reluctant to buy a replacement Furrion.
Has anyone got a few troubleshooting suggestion?
Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement unit?
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #2

Has it worked previously?
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egalt View Post
Has it worked previously?

I honestly don't know if it has ever worked or not. It came installed in my 2016 Prism, but I've never actually tried using the outdoor unit till a few weeks ago. It didn't work then, so I removed it to verify it was properly connected and actually had a good inline fuse, and had power to the unit. I also removed the door & cleaned the contacts and reset the unit ... but to no avail.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #4

Call Furrion and talk to Britanny. She knows her stuff.

BTW, I replaced the tiny remote with a Furrion Universal Remote Control and now can control both the TV and the entertainment system with it. I play TV sound from the entertainment system speakers.

I wish that I could do that inside the coach using the Jensen TV and the Furrion Entertainment system so I could hear the TV when the A/C is running. I can't make it do what the outside units do.
2004 Bluebird M380 (sold)
GeoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDoc View Post
I wish that I could do that inside the coach using the Jensen TV and the Furrion Entertainment system so I could hear the TV when the A/C is running. I can't make it do what the outside units do.
I'm not sure which electronic units you've got, but my Solera was wired such that the TV sound could be piped through the dash radio (which has speakers in various locations in the coach.) Much better sound. Brian Clemens posted instructions on how to get the sound through the radio - I think it's connected to Aux 2 (or something like that.)

Here's a video that Brian posted on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/ForestRiver...1103152935993/
He also posted a one page document...but I couldn't find it...

Dave
Old 09-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #6

… A follow-up: I decided to open the DV5600 box to see if anything obvious might stand out. Found a powdery sulphate deposit on the circuit board at the door-panel contact area. The deposit is about the dimension of a quarter (25₡). Seeing this changes my negative opinion about Furrion as this corrosion has nothing to do with their product, but rather was probably result of somebody improperly cleaning the contacts. (I bought this 2016 motorhome used in 2016 – another story.) Given what I've just learned, I'll probably replace the broken DV5600 with another one … unless somebody has a better recommendation.

On another note … about which I'll start a new thread, but background here because of what GeoDoc said:
Quote:
... I wish that I could do that inside the coach using the Jensen TV and the Furrion Entertainment system so I could hear the TV when the A/C is running. ...
I found the defective outside entertainment system because I am studying the idea of upgrading my interior sound system. I never use the outside entertainment (I watched a few minutes of TV once), but thought I might extend some of the indoor wiring modification to the outdoor area, and in the process of considering this idea discovered the defective DV5600.

The two primary reasons for upgrading the audio system are: 1) Sirius XM is connected to cab Jensen radio, but the Sprinter speakers are deficient; 2) Coach television speakers are also deficient, especially if running the generator (as GeoDoc also noted).

A solution: install additional (amplified) speakers in the coach with a cab-radio/coach-tv selector switch. (In the process of running additional wires, plan to extend the cab-radio audio to the outside entertainment area.) … That's the background and we should take that discussion to a new thread. See "Upgrading/Improving Audio System Quality".
Old 09-21-2018, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Much better sound. Brian Clemens posted instructions on how to get the sound through the radio - I think it's connected to Aux 2 (or something like that.)

Here's a video that Brian posted on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/ForestRiver...1103152935993/
Dave

I just did a quick check to see if I could get sound from the TV to come out the Furrion DV1200 Speakers. No go. I did not try the dash radio interface. Will later.

Is Brian Coachmen's electronics guru? I met the guru at the factory last July but did not catch his last name.
2004 Bluebird M380 (sold)
GeoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Is Brian Coachmen's electronics guru?
No. At the time he posted the video he was something like marketing manager for Solera. He's since gone on to bigger and better things and is now (I think) general manager of the Dynamax division.

I think a major factor in his success has been his attention to the customer base. He was very active in helping Solera owners and went so far as to solicit opinions about design issues and such. I think he's continued that approach at Dynamax and still contributes to the Solera and MBS forums occasionally.

Dave

Tags
entertainment, led