Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #1

Generator Pops GCI

Ran across an interesting phenomena this past week out on a dry camp trip. Fired up the generator on our 2017 FR Sunseeker MBS and could not get power at the receptacles above the sink, or on the left hand side of the bunk bed area. After poking around, took a look at the GCI (located by the bathroom wash basin) and found it to be tripped. Rest the GCI and alls well. However, each time I run the generator, the GCI trips and I can't figure out why. Anyone else run across this issue?
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
Ran across an interesting phenomena this past week out on a dry camp trip. Fired up the generator on our 2017 FR Sunseeker MBS and could not get power at the receptacles above the sink, or on the left hand side of the bunk bed area. After poking around, took a look at the GCI (located by the bathroom wash basin) and found it to be tripped. Rest the GCI and alls well. However, each time I run the generator, the GCI trips and I can't figure out why. Anyone else run across this issue?
First...let me say that I'm not an electrician...and I didn't stay at Holiday Inn Express last night...

I was suspecting a grounding issue - when you're plugged into an external power source, that source includes the proper grounding. (Well...most of the time!) But, when you're running on the generator you no longer have that external ground and the generator itself...or the transfer switch...has to provide the appropriate wiring. So that's where I'd look. I did find this article which talks about these grounding issues:
Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone
Good luck!

Dave
Old 06-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
First...let me say that I'm not an electrician...and I didn't stay at Holiday Inn Express last night...

I was suspecting a grounding issue - when you're plugged into an external power source, that source includes the proper grounding. (Well...most of the time!) But, when you're running on the generator you no longer have that external ground and the generator itself...or the transfer switch...has to provide the appropriate wiring. So that's where I'd look. I did find this article which talks about these grounding issues:
Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone
Good luck!

Dave
Thanks Dave - since the warranty is good, guess it is back to the dealer for a fix. Sort of suspected something like this, but it has been awhile since I messed around with electrical circuits. Better be safe than sorry on this.
2008 Jeep JKS
Old 06-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #4

Check the transfer switch internal wiring

If I had to bet, the wiring from the generator has a reversed hot and neutral. That will trip the GFCI every time.

There have been a few posts about incorrectly wired transfer switches on the MBS forum, so that would be the first place I would look.

I guess a comment about the lack of quality control at the factory for really important components like this might be considered baiting or beating a dead horse - so I will refrain from making one.

Please report back after you take it to the dealer - I for one, would like to know what they find.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:02 PM   #5

GFI pops

I have the same problem, once I reset it a couple of times seems to work.
WYOpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:34 AM   #6

So, went to the dealer to see about setting up an appt to have this issue checked. The only time they had available was while I am out of state on a trip. Long story short, appt set for August 29th. Not really concerned, from a safety viewpoint, as everything works well after resetting GFI - just a real annoyance that this happens. On the other hand, spending this much money on a unit, you would think that the service dept would try to fit in, but I do realize the sis the busiest time of the year for them.
2008 Jeep JKS
Old 08-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #7

Back from a 22 day trip and dropped off the MH for warranty work today, including gif/ gen problem. Should have the answer to the problem next week and will post results.
2008 Jeep JKS
Old 08-30-2017, 06:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
If I had to bet, the wiring from the generator has a reversed hot and neutral. That will trip the GFCI every time.

There have been a few posts about incorrectly wired transfer switches on the MBS forum, so that would be the first place I would look.

I guess a comment about the lack of quality control at the factory for really important components like this might be considered baiting or beating a dead horse - so I will refrain from making one.

Please report back after you take it to the dealer - I for one, would like to know what they find.
My GFCI in the bathroom sometimes trips when I change power sources but not every time so I haven't treated it as a ptoblem. The one outside the coach does not trip when this occurs.

I'll be checking polarity from the generator to transfer switch, something I always do at the pedestal, and report my findings.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #9

So - got the MH back from the dealer today on the warranty work I needed done after our 3 week trip. Top among items was this generator problem I posed some tim ago. The problem was corrected, but took some chasing. Basically, they checked the GFI that ws popping and found it to be OK. Then to the transfer switch wiring and found it to be OK. So after chasing it down, the tech found that the wall outlet, on the bottom left side of the dinette (actually installed own outside of bathroom wall) had a ground wire left too long and was shorting out with the neutral wire. Redid outlet box and problem solved.
2008 Jeep JKS

Tags
generator