Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2017, 03:32 AM   #1

Halogen to LED Headlight conversion

Has anyone out there replaced their stock HID headlight bulbs with LED bulbs from an aftermarket source?

If so, are you glad you did? Any trouble installing them?

namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #2

Hi namusmc. I am hoping to do this on my Sprinter soon … as soon the weather here (SW Idaho) warms a bit and the snow melts. I did change the H7 low-beams in my wife's 2003 Mercedes ML350 which has a very similar headlight design. Both vehicles use the same H7 lamp. I ordered the “XtremeVision 7G 72W 16,000LM - H7 LED Headlight Conversion Kit” from Amazon for $49.99. Each kit contains two lamps. Each lamp produces 8,000 lumens which is very much brighter than the factory installed lamps.
Since I did my wife's ML350 last week, I can write about that upgrade at the moment. I'll update here about my Sprinter 3500 after I get it done, although somebody else might comment sooner.
The ML350 was surprisingly easy to accomplish. However, the kit's instructions are a sparse. Also the kit does not include a retaining clip, so you need to either order one, or improvise. I improvised with a piece of bare wire which I used to tie the lamp clip into place. This was simple to do on the ML350 since the entire headlight assembly is easily removed. I ordering the extra clips for the Spinter since I don't think the headlight assembly easily removes on the Sprinter (hopefully somebody will comment about this). Also the XtremeVision instructions failed to state that lamp plug polarity does not matter (only an issue if you order this kit and know the DC polarity is often important – but not important here). As usual, I failed to take photographs of my progress – I'll try to remember to take pictures when I do my Sprinter.
As for illumination – Wow! Very much brighter! – Tremendous improvement. However, only slight improvement for distance of the highway illuminated. This latter issue is a mechanical adjustment for the low-beam vertical – in the case of the ML350, there is a metal shade inside the headlight housing which is adjusted to protect the vision of on-coming drivers. Replacing the lamp does not effect this adjustment.
Perhaps just my lone opinion, but I think the Sprinter's factory low-beam headlight illumination is dangerously poor. I don't drive much at night, but I really want to see the road when I do, an when alone on the highway, I see no reason why I should light up to world as much as possible. Hence, I am also considering replacing my high-beams with these LEDs, and also adding fog lamps as well.
Hope this has been helpful … I'll post about the Sprinter 3500 when it's done, and looking forward to reading what others have to say here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XtremeVision.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	159646  
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #3

I do it to all my vehicles . Much brighter . If you have a big truck you might need to aim the headlights down a tiny bit to keep from upsetting the on coming traffic .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
Hi namusmc. I am hoping to do this on my Sprinter soon … as soon the weather here (SW Idaho) warms a bit and the snow melts. I did change the H7 low-beams in my wife's 2003 Mercedes ML350 which has a very similar headlight design. Both vehicles use the same H7 lamp. I ordered the “XtremeVision 7G 72W 16,000LM - H7 LED Headlight Conversion Kit” from Amazon for $49.99. Each kit contains two lamps. Each lamp produces 8,000 lumens which is very much brighter than the factory installed lamps.
Since I did my wife's ML350 last week, I can write about that upgrade at the moment. I'll update here about my Sprinter 3500 after I get it done, although somebody else might comment sooner.
The ML350 was surprisingly easy to accomplish. However, the kit's instructions are a sparse. Also the kit does not include a retaining clip, so you need to either order one, or improvise. I improvised with a piece of bare wire which I used to tie the lamp clip into place. This was simple to do on the ML350 since the entire headlight assembly is easily removed. I ordering the extra clips for the Spinter since I don't think the headlight assembly easily removes on the Sprinter (hopefully somebody will comment about this). Also the XtremeVision instructions failed to state that lamp plug polarity does not matter (only an issue if you order this kit and know the DC polarity is often important – but not important here). As usual, I failed to take photographs of my progress – I'll try to remember to take pictures when I do my Sprinter.
As for illumination – Wow! Very much brighter! – Tremendous improvement. However, only slight improvement for distance of the highway illuminated. This latter issue is a mechanical adjustment for the low-beam vertical – in the case of the ML350, there is a metal shade inside the headlight housing which is adjusted to protect the vision of on-coming drivers. Replacing the lamp does not effect this adjustment.
Perhaps just my lone opinion, but I think the Sprinter's factory low-beam headlight illumination is dangerously poor. I don't drive much at night, but I really want to see the road when I do, an when alone on the highway, I see no reason why I should light up to world as much as possible. Hence, I am also considering replacing my high-beams with these LEDs, and also adding fog lamps as well.
Hope this has been helpful … I'll post about the Sprinter 3500 when it's done, and looking forward to reading what others have to say here.
Thank you for your helpful post. Good to know others are thinking about this relatively inexpensive halogen to LED headlight bulb upgrade.

Just finished converting my halogen Tacoma to LED and what a difference it made! Everything looks a bright white instead of a dingy yellow. Now looking at converting my Forester 2401W to LED.

I'm hoping there is sufficient clearance behind the stock Sprinter headlight housings to replace the bulbs without removing the housings.

Anyone else out there who has made this conversion on their Sprinter?
Old 01-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #5

The follow-up about upgrading the low-beam headlights on my 2015 Mercedes 3500 Sprinter with LED lamps. I was hoping to complete that upgrade today, but discovered a major issue that, for the time at least, completely stops me. The problem is in the way Mercedes mounts the H7 bulb as shown in the photograph below. Their mounting scheme makes it very easy to replace the existing bulb, but impossible to simply replace it with an LED unit. Somebody probably makes a mounting bracket that solves this dilemma, but I haven't found it. Perhaps someone has suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180112_135646.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	160036  
Old 01-12-2018, 04:32 PM   #6

Photographs of backside of headlight assembly with (1) lamp installed, and (2) lamp removed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180112_125717.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	160037   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180112_130444.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	160038  
Old 01-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #7

Thank you for the pics. Very helpful.
It appears that the bulb is part of a special cartridge assembly and won't accept the elongated LED bulb. Hopefully, there is a Sprinter LED expert among our readers that has a good solution for this.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post
Thank you for the pics. Very helpful.
It appears that the bulb is part of a special cartridge assembly and won't accept the elongated LED bulb. Hopefully, there is a Sprinter LED expert among our readers that has a good solution for this.
Hi namusmc, referring to bulb assembly photograph, the H7 bulb plugs into the black assembly. Electrical contact is conducted through the assembly to contact points on its side, which twist-lock in place. There seems to be a variety of similar adapters available that might accommodate the LED lamps, but I haven't found any that specifically state "3500 Sprinter." There is plenty of room inside the headlight housing assembly to accommodate an LED upgrade.

I didn't describe access details inside the backside of the headlight assembly because I figured most interested folks can simply look at their own vehicle. However, I should mention that, without a mirror, it is not possible to actually see into the backside of the headlight assembly.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #9

I just found ... this issue has been discussed on the Sprinter Forum with perhaps some solution:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=60685
Old 01-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #10

Thanks again, Follow. If I find an adapter specific for 3500 Sprinter, I will share it here.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:15 AM   #11

Quote:
I just found ... this issue has been discussed on the Sprinter Forum with perhaps some solution:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=60685
Good information here. I think the market is ripe for a true plug-n-play LED set-up for post 2014 Sprinters.

My last non-Sprinter conversion involved switched negative rewiring at the harness and additional installation of relays.

I want to avoid making the Sprinter conversion a complicated project.

It seems I have a knack for getting in over my head with automotive electrical projects and end up whistling in the dark.

Love this forum!
Old 01-13-2018, 01:26 AM   #12

LED lamps are tremendous but they can be quite blinding. I have them in my Silverado (stock) and people are always flashing their high beams at me because of the brightness, even though the low beams are running. But those lights really illuminate the road and make driving at night much safer.

Changing the lamps might be an issue in some states.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:45 AM   #13
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
LED lamps are tremendous but they can be quite blinding. I have them in my Silverado (stock) and people are always flashing their high beams at me because of the brightness, even though the low beams are running. But those lights really illuminate the road and make driving at night much safer.

Changing the lamps might be an issue in some states.
When I bought my 2011 Silverado with H11 halogen lights, people were flashing their lights at me also. I adjusted the low beams downward. It took 1 full turn for oncoming drivers to quit flashing at me. It didn't make that much difference in the light pattern on the road.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:24 PM   #14

I'm taking a small gamble per some information from the Sprinter forum. I ordered the "L16 H7 Adapters" from Headlight Experts with the sincere hope that it will facilitate mounting between the XtremeVision LED and the Sprinter socket. I also sent a message to XtremeVision inquiring about their experience or suggestions regarding this topic ... still waiting for their reply.
I will post more details here as I learn them.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:16 AM   #15

Thanks for the update.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #16

Another quick update ... and some great news for folks wanting to upgrade their Sprinter 3500 low-beam headlights to LED ... it works!
The "L16 H7 Adapters" from Headlight Experts require slight modification to remove about 1/16" of plastic from three spots with a file or Dremel -- easily done. Didn't test drive yet; I am instead relaxing with some distilled herbal tea.
Also a correction to my first post ... polarity is important, but you're left to trial-and-error to get it right, with a 50-50 chance of getting right (or wrong) the first time. (I thought I swapped polarity originally working either way, but not this time.) No internal dash warning indicators ... if fact no dash warning even with the bulbs removed. Once the "L16 H7 Adapter" is modified, assembly and installation of the LED lamps is easy, even on the passenger side. No sure yet, but it might be necessary to re-adjust the vertical position of the low-beam after the LEDs are installed. I'll post details and photographs tomorrow after I write-up the process.

Parts Required:
“XtremeVision 7G 72W 16,000LM - H7 LED Headlight Conversion Kit” -- ordered from Amazon for $50.00
"L16 H7 Adapters" from Headlight Experts -- ordered from Headlight Experts for $14.00

Tool Required:
6" or 8" double-cut flat bastard file, or a Dremel grinder.

Time Required:

Maybe 30 minutes for the first one (do driver's side first) and 10 minutes for the second one. (without beer)
With experience, 20 minutes total. There is a brief learning curve associated with modifying the adapter and orienting the module. I recommend working the driver's side first because there is much more working space ... after that experience the passenger side is simple.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Another quick update ... and some great news for folks wanting to upgrade their Sprinter 3500 low-beam headlights to LED ... it works!
The "L16 H7 Adapters" from Headlight Experts require slight modification to remove about 1/16" of plastic from three spots with a file or Dremel -- easily done. Didn't test drive yet; I am instead relaxing with some distilled herbal tea.
Also a correction to my first post ... polarity is important, but you're left to trial-and-error to get it right, with a 50-50 chance of getting right (or wrong) the first time. (I thought I swapped polarity originally working either way, but not this time.) No internal dash warning indicators ... if fact no dash warning even with the bulbs removed. Once the "L16 H7 Adapter" is modified, assembly and installation of the LED lamps is easy, even on the passenger side. No sure yet, but it might be necessary to re-adjust the vertical position of the low-beam after the LEDs are installed. I'll post details and photographs tomorrow after I write-up the process.

Parts Required:
“XtremeVision 7G 72W 16,000LM - H7 LED Headlight Conversion Kit” -- ordered from Amazon for $50.00
"L16 H7 Adapters" from Headlight Experts -- ordered from Headlight Experts for $14.00

Tool Required:
6" or 8" double-cut flat bastard file, or a Dremel grinder.

Time Required:

Maybe 30 minutes for the first one (do driver's side first) and 10 minutes for the second one. (without beer)
With experience, 20 minutes total. There is a brief learning curve associated with modifying the adapter and orienting the module. I recommend working the driver's side first because there is much more working space ... after that experience the passenger side is simple.
Congratulations Follow! I am now inspired to order the parts. The bulbs are bi-level high/low beams, is that correct or is there something I missed?
This is my very next project thanks to your success and write-up!
Old 01-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post
Congratulations Follow! I am now inspired to order the parts. The bulbs are bi-level high/low beams, is that correct or is there something I missed?
This is my very next project thanks to your success and write-up!
Namusmc … I don't know much about the Sprinter vehicle or the different flavors in which might appear. Therefore, I am reluctant to answer your question directly. Instead I will post some headlight information about my vehicle and hope that your configuration is similar. (see picture below and PDF (for printing) of same. I am writing my process instructions at the moment and will post detail soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Visio-Headlight_Orientation.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	160508  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Visio-Headlight_Orientation.pdf (501.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #19

Just be aware some states are ticketing drivers using these bright and non factory setups. Virginia is one. Just because they sell it does not make it legal.....Very much buyer beware...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #20

Thanks Follow. The pics are very helpful. I will check out the headlight configuration when I bring my rig out of storage.

Oaklevel, you are correct about getting a ticket if your lights blind oncoming drivers. That is in every state. Best to confirm your lights have DOT certification stamped on them and are properly aligned.

Tags
led, light