Old 06-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #1

Hard wired LED fixture replacement

2016 Forester. One light over sink began flickering, so I thought I'd pop out the bulb and get a replacement.
To my surprise, it's a hard wired non-serviceable fixture. I've looked around some, but am having trouble finding a 2 watt direct replacement.
Does anyone on here have a replacement suggestion?
Thanks in advance!

barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #2

Put in '2 watt RV led" on Amazon and if none of those are what you need, I'd suggest contacting your RV dealer or else call Forest River parts directly to match it. NAPA online is another option to search.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Put in '2 watt RV led" on Amazon and if none of those are what you need, I'd suggest contacting your RV dealer or else call Forest River parts directly to match it. NAPA online is another option to search.
I tried Amazon and other places to no avail. Called a local RV store, $25 for a new unit, my choice of halogen or LED. Sooo.... Decided to take one of my extra 12 volt LED garden area path light bulbs with a G4 2 pin base and splice it onto the lead wires of the fixture. Hey! Works good! I bought a bunch of these on ebay a while back for a few bucks and they work well as long as they are soldered into the fixture wiring.
So, if you have the ability, that's a hack to avoid the expensive replacement units.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #4

Sounds good!
Old 06-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #5

MN traveler mine went out on my 24R as well and I will have to research this but I went to light company and got replacement. Only problem was they were higher wattage but no problem over sink. Easy replacement. I have a thread here somewhere about the company.

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #6

Ok so I should have researched it before first response but that what heat does to you. Company is called Command Electronicsand they are super nice and reasonable. The thread for this on 2nd page.

2016 Solera 24R
Old 06-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
2016 Forester. One light over sink began flickering, so I thought I'd pop out the bulb and get a replacement.
To my surprise, it's a hard wired non-serviceable fixture. I've looked around some, but am having trouble finding a 2 watt direct replacement.
Does anyone on here have a replacement suggestion?
Thanks in advance!
I had the exact issue as you’re having. Had to give an RV Service person (not directly with Forest River) all the info, VIN, pictures of fixture and location . He then ordered it from FR. They did not have the same as the one that came with our 2016 Forester so I got three of them to keep some uniformity over the sink.
Pain in the kester.
Bill
billgbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #8

That’s what I did as well. The new ones have 9 diodes per so just replaced all three. Nice and bright though. I have two old spares if anyone needs.

2016 Solera 24R
Old 06-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #9

LED technology has come a long way in the past few year. However, they are not perfect. They can last 50,000 hrs or less than one. A lot of the home fixtures are being made with permanent LEDs. If they go bad, it's pretty much total replacement. My suggestion is to replace the fixture with a changeable bulb. If other fixture go bad, do the same with the same style bulb.

We were more fortunate in that we had fixtures with incandescent replaceable bulbs. We changed them out to LEDs and carried spares.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #10
mads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpa View Post
Ok so I should have researched it before first response but that what heat does to you. Company is called Command Electronicsand they are super nice and reasonable. The thread for this on 2nd page.

I did the same. I had to cut the wires to get the old ones out and twisted the new wires on. Had all 3 over the sink go out very early but the new ones are 2 years old - Forest River must have bought a bad batch!
madsledet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:42 PM   #11

I replaced mine

My 2009 came with incandescent. I tried replacing with LED bulbs, but the lights were pretty dim. I finally found these on eBay, and they are great lights and very bright. No issues so far. They too are hard wired.

Optronics RV LED 12v Fixture Ceiling Camper Trailer Marine Double Dome Light V1
Old 06-13-2018, 12:21 AM   #12

Just a reminder to future readers of this thread: when replacing any light fixtures with something different, be sure to stay within the limit of the circuit breaker and perhaps more importantly the rating for the wires to the fixture to avoid a fire hazard.

Most modern LED fixtures are low power draws, but people are not always going down in wattage. Sometimes they are upgrading the fixture in one way or another.

Tags
led, replacement