Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #1

Has anyone added AC power surge protection to class-c Sprinter?

Wife and I are about to begin new ventures as we ready to purchase a class-c Sprinter, lease our home, and drive into a year of travel as we search for a new homestead. While we feel confident about our class-c MB Sprinter decision, we have not yet decided which make. We are persuaded toward a 2016/17 single slide unit with the diner, closet, and queen bed on the port side. However, I wish to add a few things to the motorhome which I believe will greatly enhance our boondocking comfort. While most of the things I wish to add are quiet simple, three items concern me because of available space or necessary coach modification, these are: 1) 300 watts roof-mount photo-voltaic, 2) whole-house reverse osmosis for freshwater, and 3) shore AC power surge protection.

Has anyone installed shore AC power surge protection to their class-c Sprinter? If so, how did you accomplish this? Any suggestions about how to best proceed?
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #2

I think it depends which model
On the "s" model it's very easy. We put it in the compartment that houses the power cord. Not sure about the "w" or "r", but I'm sure someone will chime in
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #3

I just finished an install of a 30 A Progressive Industry EMS on my 2015 24R. I'm a journeyman electrician. Using advice that I found on this forum I located the transfer switch for the shore AC and generator. The transfer switch was located under the big closet next to the fridge. I had to remove the drawer beneath the closet as well as an access panel beneath the drawer (remove six screws). I also removed one drawer bracket and the 1/4" wood bottom of the closet.

I pulled the 30A plug from the coach exterior to determine the color of the wire and used a meter to verify which line coming into the transfer box was from the 30A plug. I unwired the transfer switch and installed the EMS in series with the incoming shore power line. I added a short piece of 10/2 with ground on the load side of the EMS and wired it into the transfer switch.

I haven't mounted the digital display yet. I will probably put it in the closet above.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1467995923.356661.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	113446Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1467995951.287593.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	113447Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1467995973.348786.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	113448Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1467996006.442790.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	113449

I put the EMS in line with the incoming shore power. There are possible issues with installing the EMS after the generator and shore power. I just want to protect myself from bad power coming into my coach from a campsite power box. The generator wiring is predictable and stable.

I hope this helps. This forum has so much valuable information.

2015 Forester 2401R MBS
HVrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #4

Greetings HVrunner ... thank you for the detailed information and the photographs of a nice install. This is very helpful. I agree with your decision to exclude the generator and only protect from shore power.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #5

👍

2015 Forester 2401R MBS
HVrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVrunner View Post
I just finished an install of a 30 A Progressive Industry EMS...

I have the same, mounted underneath the rear bed adjacent to the transfer switch.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #7

Sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
Wife and I are about to begin new ventures as we ready to purchase a class-c Sprinter, lease our home, and drive into a year of travel as we search for a new homestead. While we feel confident about our class-c MB Sprinter decision, we have not yet decided which make. We are persuaded toward a 2016/17 single slide unit with the diner, closet, and queen bed on the port side. However, I wish to add a few things to the motorhome which I believe will greatly enhance our boondocking comfort. While most of the things I wish to add are quiet simple, three items concern me because of available space or necessary coach modification, these are: 1) 300 watts roof-mount photo-voltaic, 2) whole-house reverse osmosis for freshwater, and 3) shore AC power surge protection.

Has anyone installed shore AC power surge protection to their class-c Sprinter? If so, how did you accomplish this? Any suggestions about how to best proceed?
I never vad a surge ussue a d I have just what you need: queen walk around bed, alcoa wheels, oorcebain toilet, nany upgrades, 2014 Prism 24g $73,500.
I Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #8

I have the w floor plan and installed the surge inside the "nightstand" next to the bed. Plenty of room for it.

Progressive electronics- I have been very happy with it. I couldn't get power at one spot and I checked the monitor and it gave me error of reverse polarity. The campground had it wired wrong. Really can save all your electronics.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #9
RailwayRog

I managed to squeeze mine in behind the power panel and wired it so both shore power and generator power run through it.
I could only get two 100 watt solar panels on my roof.
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysunseekermbs View Post
I have the w floor plan and installed the surge inside the "nightstand" next to the bed. Plenty of room for it.
Progressive electronics- I have been very happy with it. I couldn't get power at one spot and I checked the monitor and it gave me error of reverse polarity. The campground had it wired wrong. Really can save all your electronics.
Thanks ... it good to know it fit there. Progressive Industries ... I agree, from the research I've done, this does seem like best choice. I has good ratings, good reviews, and useful features ... plus the price is too not bad.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailwayRog View Post
I managed to squeeze mine in behind the power panel and wired it so both shore power and generator power run through it.
I could only get two 100 watt solar panels on my roof.
Thanks for that information. The roof real-estate is very limited. I could manage with two 100 watt panels if necessary. I would run a deficit each day which could be balanced when I hook up to shore power, or with the generator, if necessary. With Sprinter's limited resources it will be difficult to boondock more than a week, especially since the wife won't go too primitive. My budget already includes periodic full-hookup camping to dump, refill, recharge, and splurge.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:00 PM   #12

Well, we got our 2016 Prism at the end of August. I haven't posted in a while because we've been having too much fun. I installed a Progressive Industries surge protector. The only place I could find to mount it was under the bed, near the breaker box and fresh water tank. The hardest part was running the running wire for the digital display, which I mounter above the sink near the door. The Trimetric display is also mounted there.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #13

Smile

Read this post this morning while camping in Long Key Statepark. Off I went and asked 39 campers about surge protectors - none were using one and nobody ever had any problems without one.....
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:12 PM   #14

that's funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
Read this post this morning while camping in Long Key Statepark. Off I went and asked 39 campers about surge protectors - none were using one and nobody ever had any problems without one.....
I don't doubt that is true, but during the last 20 years of camping I'd say > 50% of the campgrounds I have been to have 'dirty' power. Under-voltage, reversed polarity (hot and common reversed), or open ground. All three are bad.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
I don't doubt that is true, but during the last 20 years of camping I'd say > 50% of the campgrounds I have been to have 'dirty' power. Under-voltage, reversed polarity (hot and common reversed), or open ground. All three are bad.
X2 - and all it takes is one bad pedestal to do $5K worth of damage to your RV.

*And* Low voltage (especially at a crowded campground) Low Voltage will kill your A/C quicker than a surge will in fact!

We added a Hughes Autoformer to take care of that small issue
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post

Bet that was fun … scurrying around a state park this morning asking 39 other campers about “surge protectors.” Hope you at least waited till after sunrise, had coffee, and remembered to put on your pants first … probably not a good time to be misunderstood …. We're each entitled to an opinion, and to spend our money as we see fit. Many folks choose to use prophylactic (electrical or otherwise), and some do not. Surge protection (transient suppression) is only part of the Progressive Industries unit. The unit also tests for proper electrical connection, and provides frequency, voltage and current information. Some folks think this useful, others think it useless … such is life.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #17
RailwayRog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
Surge protection (transient suppression) is only part of the Progressive Industries unit. The unit also tests for proper electrical connection, and provides frequency, voltage and current information. Some folks think this useful, others think it useless … such is life.
Well said!
I know from my personal experience it low cost insurance and peace of mind.
So far I detected reverse polarity and low voltage at campgrounds.
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #18

We've got one. Peace of mind.

Kelly & Mary Beth
2017 Forester MBS 2401WS
Old 11-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #19

+1

2016 Forester 2401W newbie
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #20

How would I add a surge protector to my 24r. Specifically where and how to I get to the area where the wiring enters the body on the driver's side. Is there an access panel somewhere? It seems to be about where the shower is? I'd rather have it mounted interiorly than on the post if possible.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power