Old 11-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #1

Heading off on our first toad camping trip

Hello fellow MBS owners, tomorrow is our first trip towing the Chevy Spark. We are embarking on a 6-week trek down the east coast PA/VA/TN/SC/GA/FL! Wish us luck as we head out

Flying Scot #1146
jojoshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #2

Good luck! Have a great time!

Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #3

Looking forward to hearing how your MBS tows. Have a great trip!
withoutoneplea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by withoutoneplea View Post
Looking forward to hearing how your MBS tows. Have a great trip!

Enjoy!

Note! On the Spark, be sure to activate the AT&T unlimited data plan on the hotspot. At $20 per month, it is a real deal, and should work well on the East coast. The signal carries quite well to the coach. The only downside is keeping the Spark battery charged, as the ignition needs to be in the first ďonĒ position to activate the hotspot. When plugged in, we are using a small charger. Word has it that AT&T is planning to stop this service, but will grandfather existing users.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400w
Presently in South East Texas
Old 11-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #5

so far, so good

Overnighted in a Walmart in Newburgh, NY. It was raining by then, so no one bothered to kick us out LOL. Signs in the Walmart said "No Overnight Parking" in ominous terms..Now are in Carlisle, PA, where we are seeing camper after camper coming in tonight. Everyone is trying to escape the cold up north.

We did have a couple of glitches, like the brakes actuating on the toad twice. We have the Stay In Play, and I adjusted the sensitivity up the first time, but the second time we thought maybe the break-away cable was too tight, as we had added a 2" drop receiver to level out the toad. That extra length in the tow may have caused pressure on the break away while we were turning? So while we were at Walmart, we got a couple of carabiners just like the ones on the break-away, and added one to each end to give us a bit more room. No more trouble after that.

Seeing others out here in the cold, driving down on the truck routes, has boosted our sense of community and that we really aren't crazy doing this
Flying Scot #1146
Old 11-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #6

Have fun! We have a 2017 2401W and have been towing a Miata equipped with the Stay n Play and a small battery charger. Went to Cape Breton Island/Nova Scotia and a two month trip to parks in the SW. It has been great having the toad with us.
CarolinaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #7

We have a 2016 2401r and toad our 2012 Honda CRV over 7000 miles from Va to cali and back with no issues. It went over the mountains out west like a champ. We averaged about 12 mpg. Have fun
mlbellanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #8

that small battery charger...

would come in handy. Dead battery when we got in to PA after towing for two days. The guy who installed the Stay in Play was his first time with that braking system. Luckily the Spark jumped to life by popping the clutch. I guess it'll be "start it and let it run to charge the battery" until we get to Florida and I can have it added
Flying Scot #1146
Old 11-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #9

We tow a Chevy Sonic RS hatchback - just returned from a trip from Casa Grande to Jerome, AZ and back - right at 300 miles and managed right at 15mpg. The spark might do even better as I believe it is a bit lighter.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We just bought a manual transmission Subaru Forester to tow with all Road Master equipment, as the factory is not far from us. I canít wait to actually use it all.
I thought it would be hard to corner but the way the installer explained, its the way the car follows you. I canít remember exactly. I think it will be easy to learn.

Some of the brake equipment is under the driverís seat and is a little visible from the back seat. My car was broken into and they took some stuff. My first fear was what is they thought that brake equipment was stereo equipment and tried to yank it out? But they didnít, thank God.

Youíre not crazy, youíre having adventures.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #11

Tell me about your small battery charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBlue View Post
Have fun! We have a 2017 2401W and have been towing a Miata equipped with the Stay n Play and a small battery charger. Went to Cape Breton Island/Nova Scotia and a two month trip to parks in the SW. It has been great having the toad with us.
Hi CarolinaBlue, where is it on the car, and what brand of battery charger?

Flying Scot #1146

Tags
camping, toad