Old 01-12-2019, 02:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchethead View Post
Diesels have not always used DEF, it depends on the year, diesels that use it have gauge on the dash. Earlier versions used diesel fuel itself and an EGR valve to do what newer engines do with DEF.

DEF is used to treat NOX, EGR valve has nothing to do with that. Earlier versions didn't treat it. You are thinking about the DPF.

koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
There are many of us that base our usage on miles instead of gallons of fuel, it works the same. The heavier the load the more DEF used per gallon of fuel and less miles per gallon of DEF. You are the first person I have heard use a percentage. Using your percentage I am at 3.2% towing and 1.8% when not. I use about 30 gallons per year- about 7000 miles towing heavy and 5000 empty.
I don't use percentage, miles or gallons of fuel. I go by the DEF level gauge and when it gets to about 5%, I fill up. Amazing what data you can show when you use Excel and have time on your hands.
I have seen truck manufacturers state the DEF usage should between 1% and 3% of fuel used. I just check on if I lie within those numbers. (I do).
MY POINT IS THAT DEF USAGE IS BY GALLONS OF FUEL USED AND NOT MILES DRIVEN.

grumpyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #43

Quote:
DEF is used to treat NOX, EGR valve has nothing to do with that. Earlier versions didn't treat it. You are thinking about the DPF.
I beg to differ with that statement. Exhaust gas is recirculated back to the intake to reduce the combustion chamber temperature whereby the amount of NOX produced is reduced. This has been on gasoline engines since the 80's. This amount of reduction is not enough for diesel engines and the new EPA laws so DEF was added to meet the stricter laws.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
I don't use percentage, miles or gallons of fuel. I go by the DEF level gauge and when it gets to about 5%, I fill up. Amazing what data you can show when you use Excel and have time on your hands.
I have seen truck manufacturers state the DEF usage should between 1% and 3% of fuel used. I just check on if I lie within those numbers. (I do).
MY POINT IS THAT DEF USAGE IS BY GALLONS OF FUEL USED AND NOT MILES DRIVEN.
WELL SINCE GALLONS OF FUEL USED IS DETERMINED BY MILES DRIVEN, THEN SO IS DEF!!!!
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #45

Quote:
WELL SINCE GALLONS OF FUEL USED IS DETERMINED BY MILES DRIVEN, THEN SO IS DEF!!!!
Not really. It all depends on what fuel mileage that you are getting. If you are getting 10 MPG you will use more DEF than if you are getting 20 MPG. It still means DEF usage is by gallons of fuel used and not miles driven.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #46

This thread was specific to Sprinter chassis (in the Sprinter Forum) and the last 10 or so posts have been from owners of something other than a Sprinter.

The Sprinter has some unique situations where if the DEF gets very low, it will put the vehicle in a protected mode and not let you drive very fast. It has been reported that even after filling it does not always reset right away and may even need to be reset by a dealer.

Suggest you donít let the DEF gauge get much below half or you risk this situation. I have driven 4,000 miles on a half tank of DEF, so itís not that hard to stay on top the DEF Level. Just check it after each trip and top it off if necessary.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
This thread was specific to Sprinter chassis (in the Sprinter Forum) and the last 10 or so posts have been from owners of something other than a Sprinter.

The Sprinter has some unique situations where if the DEF gets very low, it will put the vehicle in a protected mode and not let you drive very fast. It has been reported that even after filling it does not always reset right away and may even need to be reset by a dealer.

Suggest you donít let the DEF gauge get much below half or you risk this situation. I have driven 4,000 miles on a half tank of DEF, so itís not that hard to stay on top the DEF Level. Just check it after each trip and top it off if necessary.
All diesels with DEF do this. Some call it limp mode. It is not specific to the Sprinter model.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #48

The failure to reset after the Sprinter goes into limp mode is unique to the Sprinter and has been discussed extensively on the Sprinter specific forums. Needing to take it to a dealer for a reset while on the road can be a major inconvenience. Best to just keep the tank always above half full as a precaution.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #49

Advice on DEF

Walmart sells it considerably cheaper than anyone else. I like to carry an extra bottle with me. This fall we needed some in a hurry and paid twice what Walmart charges because we were at the last gas station before Death Valley.
Wishart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishart View Post
Walmart sells it considerably cheaper than anyone else. I like to carry an extra bottle with me. This fall we needed some in a hurry and paid twice what Walmart charges because we were at the last gas station before Death Valley.
I have found that truck stops have it the cheapest at the pump. $2.80 a gallon which would be $7 for a jug. How much are you paying for it at Walmart?
Not sure what you are driving, but don't you get a warning light on the dash? That warning should give 500 or more miles to empty. It should never be an emergency to fill your DEF tank. I don't every see a need to carry an extra bottle of DEF, unless you own a Sprinter