Old 01-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #1

Help! Advice on DEF

We have the FR Sprinter, will turn 1,000 miles soon, we weíre just told by a owner of a Mercedes about the DEF, we have never added any. Think we have done harm?

vettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #2

No.

DEF lasts a good long time. You'll get a pop-up on the dash when it's running low and, even then, you'll have a while before it gets to empty.

Just be very careful when adding the DEF. It's pretty caustic and any little spills need to be washed completely away ASAP.

My DEF container is small enough that the standard 2-1/2 gallon DEF box doesn't quite fit. Bummer. So I generally add two of the one gallon jugs when the warning comes up. But different versions/years of the Sprinter have different size DEF tanks ... so you might want to try to figure out how large yours is...

Dave

PS - After adding DEF it seems to take a few minutes of running before the idiot light goes out.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
No.

DEF lasts a good long time. You'll get a pop-up on the dash when it's running low and, even then, you'll have a while before it gets to empty.

Just be very careful when adding the DEF. It's pretty caustic and any little spills need to be washed completely away ASAP.

My DEF container is small enough that the standard 2-1/2 gallon DEF box doesn't quite fit. Bummer. So I generally add two of the one gallon jugs when the warning comes up. But different versions/years of the Sprinter have different size DEF tanks ... so you might want to try to figure out how large yours is...

Dave

PS - After adding DEF it seems to take a few minutes of running before the idiot light goes out.
Thank you, so just look for the light. We should have been told this with this being our first diesel. I guess we have a spot that you fill it, we are aiting for a call from the service manager for education,
Old 01-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #4

We have a 2018 Sunseeker
Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettecrazy View Post
We have a 2018 Sunseeker
We recommend you go to User CP and add this info to your Signature so you don't have to remember to add it when necessary.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 40; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettecrazy View Post
Thank you, so just look for the light. We should have been told this with this being our first diesel. I guess we have a spot that you fill it, we are aiting for a call from the service manager for education,
Donít know about your vehicle but donít wait till the light comes on. Reason is you may not be near someplace where you can buy deff. Most vehicle will go into what is called limp mode if deff gets real low. You donít want to go into limp mode.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #7

I have purchase many new vehicles in the past 50 years and each and everyone of them came with an owners manual. My last purchase was my first diesel power truck, slightly used at 8860 miles. The first thing I did after driving it home was to read the owners manual, it had a wealth of information in it both written words, diagrams & pictures. This information is from the manufacturer of the vehicle, not second hand info from an individual that may or may not have your best interest in mind. My truck holds 5 gals. of DEF which will last 5000 miles if I am not towing. If I am towing that mileage is cut in half. I get a information light and a message at 1000 miles remaining before I have to add more DEF and can manually pull same info up on info screen. I drive a Chevrolet 2500HD truck. I would suggest to you that you read your owners manual, anything that you do not understand can readily be found on the internet. YouTube is an excellent source of information on just about anything that you can think of.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing1 View Post
Donít know about your vehicle but donít wait till the light comes on. Reason is you may not be near someplace where you can buy deff. Most vehicle will go into what is called limp mode if deff gets real low. You donít want to go into limp mode.
Not a MH, but on my GMC 2500, when I get the warning message...29% remaining, I'll get another message if I don't fill right away and it says I had around 800 miles to go before limp mode.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #9

Newer sprinter have a DEF - level indicator!
And it takes a looong time from the yellow light to the red light... Last year I drove from Denver Co to Kansas City with the yellow light on - red did not come on!
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #10
Lacey's Spring, AL

you'll not need to 'worry' about any concerns - the DEF indicator will let you know when it needs some, and if you still don't handle it, your vehicle will be derated and only drive about 5mph until you do.

DEF has nothing to do with your engine, only the emissions of the exhaust.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx,
99,000+mi since '14, US, Alaska, Canada, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote