Old 12-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #1

Help me ID extra radio parts inside dash

2019 forester, built on 2018 sprinter chassis.

on LS of dash there is a little puck antenna that says GPS on it.
That wire feeds down to a rats nest Forest River left behind where the Camera controller is under the LS lower dash. Also in this rats nest is a module held to a dash bracket with one screw. This module is where the GPS antenna connects to. Coming out of that same module is a harness that says "GPS main harness" and goes over towards radio.
BUT my sony radio is not GPS capable, so I follow this wire and it goes to center of dash (radio area) than goes down likes its going under floor to coach.
Before the Sony was there something else (janson?) that used this GPS module?

Or does Samuel install this same GPS module on every coach along with the blind spot system, than the next guy in line (Levi) install what ever radio he pulled out of the parts bin? (weather is uses the GPS module or not)?

Tomorrow I am pulling the carpet/floor liner to run RCA/Power/remote turn-on wires for my Subwoofer so I will find out for sure where this "gps main harness" is going.

one thing for sure is its not factory.

Anyway, today I replaced the factory MB speakers with JBL component system with 6.5" speakers using special mounting rings so they fit the hole in the door. (worked great). I mounted crossover networks and installed tweeters in factory dash location. sounds great. Tomorrow I install the Rockford Fosgate subwoofer to side of dinette slide behind drivers seat. than in a month or so when the "play money" recovers I will replace that POS sony head unit.

Oh, I could never get the MIC to work very well or hands free phone use. always so muffled nobody could understand me. today when replacing the factory speakers I found the mic was stuck under the A pillar plastic about 1/2 way up the side. How did they expect this to work hidden behind the plastic?

Old 12-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #2

The xm/ Sirius satellite antenna is the same type as the gps. It is usually stuck on the coach roof with dicor. Could this line be related

Old 12-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #3

today I unwound the extra 5' of wire they had all balled up under the LS dash.
The GPS antenna connects into a short pig tail from this box that also has a 2nd pigtail with wire connected to it that says "GPS main harness". Than this connects into a bunch of wires related to the side radar warning system. Also coming out of this same harness is 2 cables that go up to mount on A pillar marked LED (the actual warning lights you see when someone is next to you. Plus it has a buzzer in this harness.
Not sure if its connected but its in the same wire knot is the box with Video out, and input for 3 cameras, plus it has a wire harness that is think tells it which turn signal is on so it knows which camera to operate, plus it has a Reverse lead that goes to radio to turn on camera when you either backup or turn on turn signals.
I think this warning system that detects cars next you must have GPS built in to interface with a radio FR used to put in the rigs. I was running out of time (spend way to much time installing the Subwoofer) and did not finish figuring this out.

Oh, and its definitely antenna as its marked GPS right on it)
Sirius broadcast on 2320 and 2332.5 MHz
GPS broadcast on L1 (1575.42 Mhz) and L2 (1227.60 MHz). so I expect GPS and SAT radio antennas are different

anybody know who makes this side radar? or have any info (schematic) for it?

Hell if its not needed I will remove it.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:30 PM   #4

The answer

I think the Voyager Blind Spot detection system uses a GPS module to determine how fast your going. I notice in the literature it talks about the system starts working around 12 mph. How does it know? has to be the GPS. Than in the brief owners manual for the BSTS it says

"Other situations that may limit blind spot detection system include:
When the car gets into tunnels or other places where satellite signals can not be read the speed limited function of BSD will not work".
So what is the Speed Limited Function? it still worked last night when I took the MH out for dinner and the GPS puck was hidden under the dash and everything still worked. Guess a call is in order to ASA electronics tomorrow to see what the GPS really does
it also said "my dealer can change what speed the system turns on at". I need to find out more .

And boy does my Audio system sound great.
JBL's in door with matching tweeters in dash, Rockford 300W sub-woofer mounted right behind the drivers seat on back of Dinette seat. Only problem is the Sony only has 1 RCA output for Sub-woofer and the rockford is a dual voice coil speaker with 2 amps. The system would not drive the woofer hard enough with the sony only driving 1 amp. (I need a 1 RCA Male to 2 RCA Female cable and I can switch back to the sub output on sony.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #5

This is an interesting topic.

We bought a 2020 Sunseeker on a 2019 Ford E450 chassis. During the walk through, the dealer guy points over at a little box under the front of the windshield and says it's for the satellite radio. OK, I thought, and we move on. After using the RV a few times, I came to realize we didn't have a satellite capable radio. Whatever, I didn't need it anyway. Then at a later time I notice that that little rectangular box up in front left corner where the dash meets the windshield the says GPS on it. It's not a satellite radio (Sirius) antenna. So, I'm wondering what does GPS have to do with my coach, since the radio does not have a navigation system.

So, thanks to this thread, I'm now beginning to see the whole picture. We do have the blind spot detection system, and I'll bet that's what the GPS antenna is for!

The next thing I wonder is if the sensitivity of the blind spot system can be adjusted. Mine goes off so much I'm beginning to ignore it at times. It even alerted me to corn stalks from the field 20 some feet off the side of the road.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post

The next thing I wonder is if the sensitivity of the blind spot system can be adjusted. Mine goes off so much I'm beginning to ignore it at times. It even alerted me to corn stalks from the field 20 some feet off the side of the road.

Mine does this also. especially on the RS if I am in the Right lane. Just driving down a highway with large shoulder it will trigger on and off.

So I will call them tomorrow and ask.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #7

TowPro, have you ever thought about proof reading before you post?
Dirt Sifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #8

yes I do but sometimes I miss my phone spelling something wrong.
If its really a problem try this. Click on my name, than pick Add Towpro to your Ignore list.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #9

Here is the answer from ASA electronics.

The GPS is used by the Voyager blind spot detection system to detect when your over somewhere between 8 and 18 mph.
the GPS is used to prevent the warning buzzer from working under the preset speed.
The system still works to light up the LED in at slow speed, but the buzzer is eliminated until you cross the speed threshold.

From experience I think the buzzer also requires the turn signal to be on before it will work
I have not tried it, but he said when sitting still if I walk up next to the sensor it should trigger the LED

He indicated the speed threshold was preset by them.
he also said there is no way to adjust the sensitivity of the side transmitters.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #10

TowPro, I spent a career reading thru misspellings and improper verbiage, and everyone had something meaningful and important to say. Just like your last post, it was much more enjoyable when they took the time to read their work. Gotta love spell check and auto-correct. :-) (And thanks for the follow up on your interesting work.)
Dirt Sifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:53 PM   #11

Look Here Looks exactly like our system all the way down to the marks on the GPS antenna and the pattern on the LED's. (but a different manufacturers name). Best part click on Documentation, manual and we have a install manual. The difference I see is this kit is made to mount inside plastic car bumpers where FR installed them inside those black wedges on rear of camper.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
TowPro, have you ever thought about proof reading before you post?
Incorrect spelling is one thing, not knowing how or when to express yourself is another. By the way proofreading is one word.
Sometimes auto correct does not even know the word and makes it wrong. I don't think we are accomplishing anything with a post like this, nothing do with the topic at all. He had a good idea about clicking and blocking.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #13

In thinking more about the blind spot detection system being too sensitive, I remember when I was towing a cargo trailer behind the motorhome, the visible alerts were lighting up much of the time, and beeping whenever the turn signal was used, making them pretty useless and annoying. Seeing one as how they apparently work using microwave radar, perhaps it’s time to disassemble one of the rear wedges and see if the angle of the module could be adjusted, or if one could strategically block/attenuate the signal somehow. Or, if there is a left and right module, reverse them so they point forward instead of rearward. Or, just disconnect the whole system since they perform poorly.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Seeing one as how they apparently work using microwave radar, perhaps itís time to disassemble one of the rear wedges and see if the angle of the module could be adjusted, or if one could strategically block/attenuate the signal somehow.
If it isn't adjustable tinfoil, or a metallic tape, placed inside the wedge could be be used to narrow / define the signal beam.

It will be "hit and miss" testing but by placing tinfoil on the outside of the wedge, and then walking around to activate the system, you could determine the area to block inside to limit the coverage.

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, radio