Old 12-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #1

Houston TX Sprinter service ... recommendations?

Just starting to get alerts for service on our early 2017 Forester 2401WS MBS Sprinter chassis ... any recommendations (or condemnations) for service providers in Houston area?

Old 12-05-2017, 10:33 PM   #2

How many miles do you have? Mine at 6100 miles, DIY oil change and fuel filer( suggested by Mercedes services manager). He said to wait for "b" services to bring it in.

raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:59 PM   #3
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

After dealing with CW in Katy, we now go to RV source in Bryan / CS as they are a family owned dealership with great service.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #4

Had some warranty work done at MB of Clear Lake while was traveling through Texas. They got me in and had me on my way.
https://www.mercedesbenzclearlake.com/
Just to the South of Huston.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
How many miles do you have? Mine at 6100 miles, DIY oil change and fuel filer( suggested by Mercedes services manager). He said to wait for "b" services to bring it in.

Wow, a MB service manager suggesting a do-it-yourself oil and fuel filter change! I have read about bad things happening when mistakes are made switching out the fuel filter. Are you sure they were not referring to the oil filter? Where is this service manager?
Old 12-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #6

sprinter service Houston

For MB warranty work, The MB of West Houston has been good for me, but verify all they will do and the charges. They will go thru the whole checklist they are supposed to do at warranty intervals, so an independent shop may not know about them all.

One thing not needed at MB is a fill up of DEF, for example, when you can buy it at Walmart, $80 vs $12 ??

On issues not covered by the warranty, get the proposal in writing and then decide if you want MB to do it, or take it to an independent shop.

On coach work, MB is little help and expensive. I just had RV Masters do some things on the coach and they were great. You can buy parts and have them install, sometimes.

Check if you come under the Lippert 2 step safety recall, and if so, get it done.
retrieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #7

Tacoma, WA. Monday morning were not busy I've spend at least 3 hours with him. He shows video and check list. He said to wait spring because it's parking for the winter also mine has 6100 miles on it. He also said if you are not mechanically inclined and you've never work on cars or trucks before in your life then yes he love to have my money. Any other than oil and fuel filter change yes he love to see us.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #8

Sprinter Service

There's tons of info online about the Fuel Filter change. If you do your homework and get quality parts it shouldn't be that hard. Will need a special crimper for the hose clamps but thats a one time cost. I had them do it the first time at $376.58, I will do it every year starting this year. Oil and Oil Filter change is simple. The Sprinters are pretty much at max weight in RV Configuration so I am more concerned about the Transmission and plan on having it serviced every other year at about 30K intervals.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #9

Quote:
There's tons of info online about the Fuel Filter change. If you do your homework and get quality parts it shouldn't be that hard.
You are right about that. He shows me the video and also told me how to let system purge air from new filter.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #10

Thanks, all. Have not been able to get out much yet, so only 3700 miles on the rig so far. Cannot wait to put on the miles that many of you have logged!

These days, Iím not up for doing my own oil filter change, so will take it in for the MB service. Great advice about scrutinizing other options for the DEF and non-warranty work, though. As well as other options for coach work ... #retrieve, not familiar with RV Masters, but will check it out. Certainly need options other than Camping World.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #11

My 2016 Dynamax Isata 3 bought new in June 2016 has 17,350 miles on it. I did the first Service A at 12,000 miles and 1 year old. The good news is the MB Sprinter Chasis has held up extremely well with the only mod on it being Sumo Springs. I did crawl under it and fixed a large number of chafing and unsecured wires when it was new but that was from the RV Conversion. The Chasis itself is rock solid.

I agree to be selective when you take it in for the Maintenance, Top off the DEF Tank and Windshield Fluid and check your charges on the Receipt before leaving. The one year Fuel Filter Change Requirement annoys me because it is regardless of mileage.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 12-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
The one year Fuel Filter Change Requirement annoys me because it is regardless of mileage.
My 2013 MBS maintenance manual states to change the fuel filter every 20,000 miles. It does not mention yearly.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #13

MB Sprinter Service

On a 2016 anyway, after stating on page 8 of the maintenance booklet to "Replace the Fuel Filter every 20,000 miles" it then states on page 10 under Maintenance Service, Engine "Replace the Fuel Filter with water separator (after 1 year at the latest, observe date of installation". I questioned this with the Mercedes Dealer and of course they said it is mandatory yearly. Some of the Maintenance requirements I will take with a grain of salt as I only put on 12K miles per year but the Fuel Filter is not one of them. Changing out the Brake Fluid every two years is one I probably won't do after warranty is over.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 12-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
On a 2016 anyway, after stating on page 8 of the maintenance booklet to "Replace the Fuel Filter every 20,000 miles" it then states on page 10 under Maintenance Service, Engine "Replace the Fuel Filter with water separator (after 1 year at the latest, observe date of installation".
It is interesting that they change the maintenance requirements so often. the 2015 says the same thing as your model year. Mine is somewhat different. The fuel filter is an easy change if you follow the procedure for the compensation ring. I will continue to replace the filter myself. Can't see paying MB prices for such a simple job.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12-9-2017 5-04-52 PM.pdf (46.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #15

Yep, the requirements are definitely different.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 12-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #16

Anyway, sorry about jacking the original thread, I'm always on the hunt for maintenance information and the possibility of saving a few dollars doing the work myself.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 12-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #17

Just wanted to share that I had a great experience at the Mercedes West Houston location. Will definitely be a long-term customer of theirs! Itís a fairly new location with lots of room to service Sprinter RVs. Patrick Knight is the superb and service-oriented Sprinter service rep, and Cody is their fabulous mechanic/technician. Cody gave us our first real orientation to the Sprinter - learned lots of things that we should have known but never knew we didnít know like how to jump the battery if needed (very different since you donít connect to the actual battery which is under the driver seat floorboards) and how to release the gear shift to place the vehicle in neutral if you need to be towed (release switch hidden in small compartment underneath cigarette lighter).

Iíve rarely experienced such a commitment to service as well as building relationships with customers, so check them out if you ever need service in Houston or have any questions.

Tags
service