Old 02-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #11
Time to muddy the waters....

Attached is info from the '14 Sprinter chassis manual on fuel filter draining.
It's actually under the hood rather than at the filter itself as I'm used to.

I'll check when we pick up the Prism to see if this has carried over to later years, but it may be helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: docx MB filter drain.docx (277.8 KB, 16 views)

Byron in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #12
Yes. Its a little difficult to find. As you face the engine its on the side of the cylinder block on the left. It's held in place with a small plastic c clamp. To drain fluid, you disengage the hose from the clamp and direct it downward. I put a 1 litre container under it. Turn the ignition to position 2 and the fuel pump will run for 30 seconds. Open the valve and ket some of the fuel/water out and then close. Discard the fuel as waste. I tend to burn it at our cottage, but I'm sure there are other options. Its a bit difficult to find the hose/valve even when you know approximately where it is.

Eric Jackson
Ottawa Ontario Canada
2015 Solera 24R
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #13
Thanks, backdoctor!

Page 247 in the '14 owner's manual for anyone who can't open the link.

I think this is some pretty obscure info....folks seem to think there's no way to sump or that changing the filter is the only option.

On my pickup truck, I've found this to be cheap insurance......every other fill up I drain (sump) a bit of fuel as you describe then dispose of as waste.

Since 06, never a hint of Water in Fuel. My friends with similar so lucky.

Thanks again.
Byron in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #14
If you examine the end of the bleeder line, you will see there is a designed end that allows a tube to be friction fitted, to give you more length to direct the expelled fuel, if your trying to purge water or air after you're routine maint change out, when doing it unassisted.

Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote