Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #21

Mikegjax
Thanks for the reply. I went a dug around in the Sprinter forum and found out a lot about this. Seem like a lot of heart ache can come if that ring is not changed. It’s a shame that something so simple can cause so much trouble.
pinkstonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:02 PM   #22
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
The duct to the turbo must be removed to get to the fuel filter. If the compensation ring is not properly installed in that duct during reinstallation it can b e damaged and pieces can be ingested in the turbo. This was a real problem in the early compensation rings (orange rings). The newer (black) rings don't seem to be as susceptible to coming apart.
What he said. The ring can get sucked into the turbo (high vacuum area) - in part or completely. About a third of the compensating ring was gone on mine - bent the turbo blades. Occurred about 8000 miles after the service error. About $3000 to repair - rebuilt turbo, com ring, fresh air hose, intercooler (in case any pieces trapped ther). Eventually recovered the cost (plus hotel and rental car costs) from the Ford dealer that did the deed (California Bureau of Automotive Repair determination and Small Claims Court filing). The one that failed on mine was black.

Ford dealer was much more convenient and said they were qualified - my mistake using them.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
The duct to the turbo must be removed to get to the fuel filter. If the compensation ring is not properly installed in that duct during reinstallation it can b e damaged and pieces can be ingested in the turbo. This was a real problem in the early compensation rings (orange rings). The newer (black) rings don't seem to be as susceptible to coming apart.
Yipes! Is this something that can be easily checked by the average owner? I just had my fuel filter replaced during an oil change.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:27 AM   #24

"Yipes! Is this something that can be easily checked by the average owner? I just had my fuel filter replaced during an oil change."

Look at your bill, there will be a charge for the seal if it was replaced..

A Torque wrench is required to fix the sealing ring clamp, I would purchase a few seals from MB and return to the place that did the fuel filter replacement ..
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:39 AM   #25

I have read the Sprinter repair manual on this subject and where the problem comes in is how the seal is replaced. The compensating ring must be inserted in the duct prior to connecting to the turbo charger. If the ring is installed on the turbo first it can be damaged when installing the duct. Weird, but is how it is stated.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #26

I just talked with the service manager at the MN Sprinter shop that did our oil and fuel filter change. He said they are well aware of this issue and always look carefully at this seal. He said the seal has to be inserted carefully (there are pins to align), otherwise it can buckle and other damage can happen. He also said it has to be sprayed with something (I think he said silicone) to help it seal. But he said they do not always replace the seal. If it looks old or brittle, they will replace it but if it looks fine they will not. The seal costs $40.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
We just had the A service at 18600 miles. The service manager noted that the fuel filter was scheduled for a change at 20000 miles. I thought they were playing me, so I checked the manual, and it confirmed what the service manager said, 20000 miles.
Bob, did you use the dealer in St. Charles or closer to where you store it? If you used St. Charles how was the experience and what did they charge you for the oil and filter?

Thanks,
marc
Old 04-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #28

BTW, the maintence procedures for the fuel filter change previously stated the they compensation ring must be replaced ant time the duct to the turbo has been removed. That language has been removed.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:38 AM   #29

Fuel dilution is a known issue with all direct injection diesels with DPF regeneration and is now an issue with gas engines that also use DI. How much your oil is diluted depends on how many short trips you take, how hard you drive it when the engine is cold, and how often the DPF is regenerated, and of course, how much the engine is idled.

I would never use a 5w30 oil in a modern diesel. My OM642 engine gets nothing but 5w40 now with a ZDDP additive to account for the poor additive pack in the new CK4 oils. I've got 112,000 miles on the DPD with no issues. I would not use a motorcycle oil. It is not designed to carry soot safely in the oil which is something a diesel oil is designed to do. I do not use a MB spec oil and my DPF hasn't failed yet.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:17 AM   #30

"I have read the Sprinter repair manual on this subject."

Where is a good place to purchase the Sprinter Repair Manual?
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
"I have read the Sprinter repair manual on this subject."

Where is a good place to purchase the Sprinter Repair Manual?
Mine are on DVD and I purchased them online. They were about $15.00 and work with Windows. They actually cover all MB back to approx. 1996. The last update to the DVD was for 2014 models and it does not contain all 2014 models.

One nice thing about them is they have the "Data Plate" for some 2014 models back.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #32

Having done some more research in the maintenance manual it does still say to replace the compensating ring. I do believe it is concerning the orange ring. I am attaching a couple of pages from the manual that give the procedure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf intake 2.pdf (367.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: pdf intake 1.pdf (24.3 KB, 62 views)

Tags
diesel