Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #1

Interesting post about BlueTech diesel engine

BlueTec Diesel Issues/Problems | Stephens Service Center - Sacramento's Best Mercedes-Benz Service & Repairs

Almost to the bottom of the article is the advice on how to maintain bluetech diesel engines. Do you agree with it?
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #2

I would counter with this; 30k no problems with motor. Oil change interval 10k. Anybody else want to report in.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
2012 Solera

77K miles. One engine problem - turbo ate "compensating ring" due to improper installation of new fuel filter. Otherwise engine and emissions system has been flawless.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:23 PM   #4
psribbens

You'll find, searching the threads, lots of discussion about oil change intervals for MBS engines. Paul Brand is a local car-talk style columnist for the Star Tribune, and often writes, 'it's your engine, how do you want to care for it?' I changed mine at 7,000. and aim to do it again no later than 14,000. One point the writer seems to neglect; the MBS has 12 quarts of oil in the system--about twice that of a typical car.
By writing this little bit, I suspect others will chime in, hopefully those with many miles and many years experience--I know they have helped me. I only added 3,000 miles this year so at 10,000 on the odometer, I don't have the experience others can offer.
Good Luck
Old 11-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #5

It is an interesting look at things. His advice kinda puts the owner between a rock and a hard place. He says if you take his advice your engine will survive longer. If that's true for YOUR engine, that's great. But if it's not true for your engine, you'll have voided your Mercedes warranty.

The problem with many reports like this is that they're based on anecdotal evidence - he does Mercedes repairs, so he sees lots of problems. But, of course, he's not seeing all those folks who aren't having problems.

On the other hand, those of us on the forum have the same issue - people pop up with anecdotal reports about their own experience...whether good or bad...but who knows how many FR MBS owners have had (or haven't had) problems? And, of course, FR MBS owners are a pretty small subset of all the MBS owners out there.

One thing I do, which he doesn't even mention, is that I get my oil tested...so I have some idea what's in it and whether it's holding up or not.

And, of course, I change the oil more often than they recommend!

Maybe I'll buy a Ford based unit...

Dave
Old 12-01-2016, 12:22 AM   #6

That article is BULL. Halfway down he says by 5000 miles the crankcase is half full of diesel fuel....that's when I stopped reading. If you are afraid, just change it or get it tested. I would never add any additives. Me...I'm not going to let mine go 20,000 miles. It would take several years to get there. I'll change mine when I think it needs it. Never hurts to go overboard and change it more frequently...JMHO>>>YMMV
Old 12-01-2016, 04:06 AM   #7

I've posted it to get opinions from all users. It's so great to read all responds. Personally I will change my oil every 5000 miles. I've done the same on my tacoma truck. I didn't pay much attention to the recommendation schedule maintenance.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:38 AM   #8

Why are you guys changing oil based on mileage? The MBS computer tells you when its necessary. Otherwise, you're just wasting money. My MBS computer had me changing oil about once per year. Over 6 years I put a little over 20K miles on it.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:54 AM   #9

From my reading these engines come to grief with too much ideling.

However the point on turbos cooking , cokeing the oil inside it are correct.

If getting to the top of Rockey Top afer a long climb , I would idle for a min or two to cool down the turbo.

An off highway drive into a campground would give the turbo all the cooling it needs , so no ideling.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #10

MB is still changing the lube oil requirements for the V6

Latest I can find is 229.52

Not many USA oils are on the new MB approved list.

Mobil 1 made "ESP formula M 0w 40 for MB" but didnt sell enough , so no its ESP Form M 0W 30.

None are at the local Wall Mart.NAPA , Auto Zone or truck stops.

With oil changes at 5-6000 miles (for my mental health) co$t does become a factor.

When the same oil is used the filter can be changed every other time.

Many German filters are on the web , do any of the "US" filter brands use the German filters?
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #11

Purelator use German oil filter.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
MB is still changing the lube oil requirements for the V6

Latest I can find is 229.52

Not many USA oils are on the new MB approved list.

Mobil 1 made "ESP formula M 0w 40 for MB" but didnt sell enough , so no its ESP Form M 0W 30.

None are at the local Wall Mart.NAPA , Auto Zone or truck stops.

With oil changes at 5-6000 miles (for my mental health) co$t does become a factor.

When the same oil is used the filter can be changed every other time.

Many German filters are on the web , do any of the "US" filter brands use the German filters?
The change was two fold. Gov't requirements to improve fuel economy and introduction of more diesels across multiple product lines. That in turn, drives oil formulations to get thinner (i.e. oW ) weights, increasing ever so slightly fuel economy across multiple models, meeting standards. So far, oil reports i've read are negative on any engine wear increase.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #13

Just completed my first "A" service with slightly under 10k miles. There was a 41 day countdown running on the dash, so I'm guessing it looks for annual oil changes since we weren't too high on miles. The issues I've heard about with that compensating ring are why I've decided that fuel filter changes will also be done at the dealer. I didn't change the fuel filter this time, but the "A" service cost about $220, and apparently included a brake inspection as part of the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
77K miles. One engine problem - turbo ate "compensating ring" due to improper installation of new fuel filter. Otherwise engine and emissions system has been flawless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
I would counter with this; 30k no problems with motor. Oil change interval 10k. Anybody else want to report in.

2016 Sunseeker MBS 2400R + Diesel Gen
2014 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Flat Tow Equipment
SMI Stay-In-Play Brake Controller
ericlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:23 AM   #14

Relatively Inexpensive Insurance

Given the cost of an engine or emission system repair, I believe annual oil and filter changes are prudent on these hard working little turbo diesels. We don't put anywhere near 20K miles on our MH in a year, but moisture from condensation is as damaging to oils as anything.

Oil testing is also a great idea - Blackstone is a well known lab and there are others. If you've installed a quick drain on the oil pan, sampling is very easy.

On our Forester MBS, I use Amsoil low-SAPS Euro oil and the OEM Mann filter. Personally, I think it's wise to change the oil filter anytime you change the oil. They are not that expensive and being a canister type mounted on the front of the engine - quite easy to do.

I change the diesel generator oil annually too, even though the service interval is 200 hours. It takes less than a quart and about 20 minutes of my time. Even with synthetic oil, that costs less than $10. Since Cummins/Onan has discontinued the QD3200, I need to take good care of it!

Just my $0.02 or a little more in Canada
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:36 PM   #15

Interesting post about BlueTech diesel engine

The article is rambling, incoherent, and plainly wrong in some locations. It sounds very seat of the pants from someone with not much technical background and way too big an imagination. I could not bear to finish the article.

The oil recommendations in our owner's manual certainly haven't changed. How could they? The change must have to do with newer vehicles.

I just had our first A service done and it was of course pricey. The MN authorized service center also recommended replacing the fuel filter each time even though it's only in the B service. It made sense to me since we are a biodiesel state so I OK'd that extra cost. Other than that, the mechanics say they have not seen any real biodiesel problems, which was great news.

So far, it's been an outstanding vehicle to own and drive. It's a great highway vehicle and an amazing mountain climber and descender too. We are very pleased with the MB chassis as well as the RV.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:13 AM   #16

Actually folks the Blue Tech by MB is not the diesel engine but what they call their emission equipment on the diesel engine. Even my 2008, Ram 6.7L Cummins engine has the Blue Tec label on the truck. Since they were partners with Chrysler Corps. than and MB designed the emission equipment for the engine to meet the 2010 emission regs.

Back before the 2007.5 Ram trucks with the 6.7L Cummins was offered for sale Turbo Diesel register did a complete in depth article about the new MB Blue Tec emission equipment on the truck. I think this might have been in their 55 or 56 issue. One of the items that they pointed out was that the additional injection of fuel in the exhaust cycle could lead to diesel fuel in the engine oil. This was during regeneration of the DPF in the exhaust system to insure proper exhaust gas temperatures to burn off the diesel particulars in the filter. So, maintenance and changing oil is very important item to do with these Blue Tec emission engines.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #17

We just had the A service at 18600 miles. The service manager noted that the fuel filter was scheduled for a change at 20000 miles. I thought they were playing me, so I checked the manual, and it confirmed what the service manager said, 20000 miles.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #18

This guy sure seems to be getting a lot of "free press" off his article. Like others here, I do not accept what he is saying as fact. Maybe he wants to be the "Blue Tec Guru", but I think I would stay away from him on any MB maintenance related items, and would listen to service advice very cautiously. This is my first MBS and Blue Tec engine, but have been driving diesel picks since 2001 and have not seen any of the things this fellow is spouting about. Like every thing else- take it with a grin of salt.
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
JLeising This Intrigues me as how one can relate to the other, can you explain (improper installation of new fuel filter) and how it relates to (turbo ate "compensating ring")
Thanks
Jeff
pinkstonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #20

The duct to the turbo must be removed to get to the fuel filter. If the compensation ring is not properly installed in that duct during reinstallation it can b e damaged and pieces can be ingested in the turbo. This was a real problem in the early compensation rings (orange rings). The newer (black) rings don't seem to be as susceptible to coming apart.

Tags
diesel