Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 08:19 PM   #1

Jensen Navigation VX7020A

Our Jensen Navigation VX7020A is no longer working. We took our Sunseeker out for the first time this year and the navigation system is not working at all. When you press the navigation icon on the Jensen panel nothing is happening, we cannot operate the navigation system. Did anyone experienced this? We used the navigation only twice last year because the RV was at the dealership for 3 months for repairs and then it was in storage for the winter season.
Polariste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #2

what do you mean by "doesn't work"?
do you mean when you press on the navigation icon on the screen nothing happens. or it switches to the navigation screen and nothing happens?

If you only used it three times last year, the software probably needs updating, which can take time. If it is in the process of updating, the screen will remain black.

You can also download the NAVIESTRAS TOOLBOX. ( look in the manual) and install it on your computer, then remove the MICROSIM chip from the unit and update it. Hopefully you took the time to do this within the first 90 days.

If you still have problems contact JENSEN. their service department is pretty good.

BTW the new JENSEN SYSTEMS are now using TOM TOM navigation software. which can be purchased and installed on the VX7020A

Hope this helps
Sunseeker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #3

Thank you Sunseeker24 for the reply, sorry if I did not make myself clear. When I press on the navigation icon on the screen nothing happens. It is not going on navigation at all, it stays on the menu.

I could not update the software because it was in storage then driven to the dealership where it stayed for 3 months for repairs.
I will check for the NAVIESTRAS TOOLBOX and see what I can do otherwise I will contact Jensen directly.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #4

Our Jensen VX7020a randomly locks up when running navigation. I have to hold the power to shut it down and reboot. Do they all do this? I tried talking to ASA (I'm told that's what the A in the number is for and they are not the same as a VX7020 , which has firmware updates) although ASA tells me that they are the maufacturer but do not have firmware updates. Something just does not sound right. Anyway it's real convenient when it stops working in a high traffic area.
dmersereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #5

Good news, my navigation system is back and running! This morning I try it and it is working fine and I did not do a thing! I will try to update the maps now.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #6

Your system will automatically do system updates when available so its a good idea to use it on a regular basis. As far as map updates go, you only have a 4 gig flash drive and cannot swap it out. Its pretty full but contains Europe and parts of SE Asia. So unless you plan on going there you can remove them and have room for pretty much all of North America. While you won't be able to get the latest maps without paying for them, you will be able to swap your currently dated maps in and out for as long as you own your rig, should you find that you don't have room for the entire continent. It is up to you as to whether you want to pay for the newest maps. I know I don't plan on doing that for a couple years and who knows, by then, the cost difference between updating maps and swapping to a newer Jensen version may be a deciding factor on what to do. Hope this helps
Old 05-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #7

Do you mean that the firmware is updating automatically? How is this possible?
Old 05-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polariste View Post
Do you mean that the firmware is updating automatically? How is this possible?
rather simple. it is being downloaded from a server. basically the same way your cell phone gets updates. The difference being, you can control those downloads. you can't control the firmware updates with most any GPS based routing equipment. If you do a search for say a STATE PARK, your navigator sends a request and gets an answer. Remember there is only 4 gig storage in these units which is barely enough to for the road maps so the rest of that information you seek is downloaded.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:51 PM   #9

Thanks for the info.[emoji106]When I will go to bed tonight I will be a smarter person![emoji4]
Old 05-25-2017, 08:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker24 View Post
... so the rest of that information you seek is downloaded.
What do you mean by "downloaded"? As far as I know, these units have no data communication (cell, wifi, bluetooth, etc.) capabilities. I believe that any "downloading" comes when you update the map data on the microSD card. Are you suggesting that there's another avenue by which the unit gets this kind of data?

Dave
Old 05-25-2017, 11:46 PM   #11

I don't know it worth your times. It's micro chip and you need to do on desktop or laptop. Place this chip in card ready and update it that way. It said my 2016 unit is up to date when I've tried last year.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jensen