Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #1

July 4th Travels In Your Rolling Retreat

Hey all. I hope everyone had a great time celebrating The 4th Of July. I wanted to throw in a feel good thread to see how we all spent the holiday enjoying our MBS motorhomes. My wife and I just returned home from Rehoboth Beach, DE. We stayed at a brand new campground on the bay called Massey's Landing RV Resort. Nice location and everything was brand new. Great pool with swim up pool bar. It rained and was overcast most of the weekend but being away and enjoying our rolling retreat felt great. And of course the sun came out in force today the day we left. But oh well that is Murphy's law. We are looking forward to a full summer's worth of camping.
LoveLife7478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:19 AM   #2

Sorry the weather wasn't nicer for you. Thanks for the heads-up on a nice resort. We will definitely have to pay them a visit.
halbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Our wonderful trip ended messy, literally, so I'll talk about this part first, with no intention to spoil the thread. Our black tank valve failed twice before, and it was supposedly fixed two weeks ago, but, it wasn't, and you can guess how I found out.

Until we came to that messy ending, we had a fabulous time. We dry camped for two nights at Laguna Campgroud which is located at ~4000 ft in Cleveland National Forest in SoCal. All the reserved sites were full, but we were lucky to have one of the last two first-come-first-served sites. Sites are very spacious, far enough from adjacent sites, in the woods. Beautiful moonless starry nights, wonderful hiking trails. The temperature was crazy, it went from ~90 during the day to ~50 at night.
One of the highlights - we had saved someone from potentially a big trouble. While hiking in the middle of nowhere, we ran into a lone hiker who was desperately lost. She was in her 60s I guess, and she told us she was just not into cell phone and Google map etc. So I pulled out my cell phone (luckily we had signal) and showed her on Google map where we were and where she should be headed. We walked her back to the trail she was from. Everyone was happy in the end
Old 07-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLife7478 View Post
Hey all. I hope everyone had a great time celebrating The 4th Of July. I wanted to throw in a feel good thread to see how we all spent the holiday enjoying our MBS motorhomes. My wife and I just returned home from Rehoboth Beach, DE. We stayed at a brand new campground on the bay called Massey's Landing RV Resort. Nice location and everything was brand new. Great pool with swim up pool bar. It rained and was overcast most of the weekend but being away and enjoying our rolling retreat felt great. And of course the sun came out in force today the day we left. But oh well that is Murphy's law. We are looking forward to a full summer's worth of camping.
We are from Central MD and Masseys Landing is on our "do soon" list! We stayed Castaway Resort near Ocean City (same folks) and had a GREAT time.

Marty
Old 07-06-2016, 06:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martsing View Post
We are from Central MD and Masseys Landing is on our "do soon" list! We stayed Castaway Resort near Ocean City (same folks) and had a GREAT time.

Marty
We liked Castaway's too. Went there last month. Massey's is in progress of building their beach bar right now and still finishing off some other items but all camp sites are level, hard pack stone a few with paved sites on edge of waterline. With it being a holiday weekend the place was packed with golf carts which turned me off a bit but everything else was nice.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #6

We stayed home for the 4th but have been busy preparing for our biggest trip yet next week - Kentucky to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Yosemite, San Francisco then Santa Cruz!

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysunseekermbs View Post
We stayed home for the 4th but have been busy preparing for our biggest trip yet next week - Kentucky to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Yosemite, San Francisco then Santa Cruz!

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Awesome! That will be an epic trip. Safe Travels!
Old 07-07-2016, 12:25 AM   #8

We had a lovely weekend, camped at our friend's cabin on Crescent Lake here in the Oregon Cascade mountain range. I really wish I had photographic evidence because the entry and exit to our parking spot was truly a white knuckler. The cabin is on a slope down a narrow dirt road. Fortunately the spot was essentially a pull-through but the entry and exit were wicked. The entry was an off camber left turn and steep. Came down VERY slowly and in first gear. Still managed to lock up the wheels and slide slightly. Never felt like I was in danger but certainly pushing the limits. Our parking spot was fabulous and nearly dead flat. The exit, back up to the dirt road was again an off camber left turn up a reasonably steep, yet short slope. There were some soft spots in the dirt and some ruts from run off. To add to the adventure, I had to swing wide to avoid tree branches and try to keep the rear wheels on the best surface possible. Used the accelerator liberally and made it up the hill without issue. There was a lot of sway and the traction control symbols flashed a crossed the dash. I'm sure it looked much crazier from the outside. I was deliberately the only one in the motorhome to mitigate the risk to my family. A harrowing tale, yet I assure you I never pushed the limits beyond what I thought the motorhome would be capable of. Nerve wracking nonetheless and the MBS performed better than expected. Headed to Wallowa Lake via Phillips Reservoir on Saturday.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #9

We ended our fourth at Crater Lake National Park on way to Vegas. What a spectacular view there. Planning for the big one to start in August from Vegas to New England and down east coast and back. Pondering putting a Mini behind for this trip.

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #10

well the weather was just perfect in southeast Iowa low to mid 70's all weekend had good food great company,
had a couple of friends show up sunday evening pullded out the guitar and harmonica what a wonderful 4th it was.
Hope you all had the same

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #11

Normally, we don't travel in the summer -- crowds, dogs, kids.....

But had to go from home in SW MO to Philly for family wedding weekend before the 4th. Dry camped in back corner of wedding/reception/family booked hotel parking lot (booked room one night). Had a wonderful time.

Was planning to go to Boston to see an old friend, but east coast traffic spooked me too much, so we headed through TN and wound up at Mt. View AR.

As I never travel without musical instruments (plural), we had probably the best 4th in many years. Decent temps, breezes, rain at night, sun in daytime, old friends, fireworks, and, as usual, very inexpensive superb CG.

Back home after the weekend.

.....new TT (April) has been camped in for 36 nights and counting....
Old 07-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #12

Took our Flagstaff 832okbs on her maiden voyage down to Guntersville Lake in AL. Had some rain which cleared to some awesome sunsets every afternoon. Grilling with the lake breeze a blowing, what a relaxing feeling. Going to love our second Flagstaff, will update profile when I get home next week. Great product, FR!
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #13
Dr Travel

While in Vegas be sure to take a day trip to Valley of Fire state park, about an hour northeast of Vegas. Go for sunset, do some hiking first, the rock formations and colors are astounding. Rangers are very helpful too.
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #14

Silverton...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	097.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	538.6 KB
ID:	113395   Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	539.2 KB
ID:	113396  
Old 07-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
Silverton...
Great pictures bob dirt. Is that a Zamp solar panel you have? How long typically does it take to re-charge your batteries? I just had my repair shop add a Zamp plug to mine and am looking forward to trying it out for some dry camping.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpa View Post
We ended our fourth at Crater Lake National Park on way to Vegas. What a spectacular view there. Planning for the big one to start in August from Vegas to New England and down east coast and back. Pondering putting a Mini behind for this trip.
Love that area of Oregon. Also loved Smith Rock State Park just north of you in Bend. No camping there but great hiking and watching all the rock climbers there.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:59 PM   #17

We don't own an MBS but we spent a very peaceful 4th at Spruces campground on Navajo Lake in Utah. At 9200 ft it was cool, right on the lake that feeds the North Fork of the Virgin river which runs through Zion National Park. Great stop.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Oz View Post
Normally, we don't travel in the summer -- crowds, dogs, kids.....

But had to go from home in SW MO to Philly for family wedding weekend before the 4th. Dry camped in back corner of wedding/reception/family booked hotel parking lot (booked room one night). Had a wonderful time.

Was planning to go to Boston to see an old friend, but east coast traffic spooked me too much, so we headed through TN and wound up at Mt. View AR.

As I never travel without musical instruments (plural), we had probably the best 4th in many years. Decent temps, breezes, rain at night, sun in daytime, old friends, fireworks, and, as usual, very inexpensive superb CG.

Back home after the weekend.

.....new TT (April) has been camped in for 36 nights and counting....
I know about half of Mt. View.........
did you stay at Sylamore???

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLife7478 View Post
Great pictures bob dirt. Is that a Zamp solar panel you have? How long typically does it take to re-charge your batteries? I just had my repair shop add a Zamp plug to mine and am looking forward to trying it out for some dry camping.
Yes it is a zamp. I didn't use much power the 5 days we were there. It was on/off cloudy, sunny, rainy. Batteries were always full when we returned from riding. Didn't use heat (low 50's at night) so not much drain on them. When I do use heat, the panel has the batteries full by lunch usually (120w).
Old 07-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #20

July 4 was at Arches NP, now working our way thru the 4 corners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	113484  

Tags
travel