Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Just ordered ours - Any Sunseeker 2400w or Forester 2401w owners out there?

We just ordered our first RV after looking and considering buying once since 2011. Yes, 2011. Expecting delivery in mid August.

Right now I'm trying to learn as much as possible and I am reading a lot of great info on these forums.

I'd like to hear from seasoned RV'rs that now own either the Sunseeker 2400w or Forester 2401w: likes and dislikes, any issues with that huge slide, build quality, things to look out for, modifications to consider, etc.

We ordered it pretty loaded with the Trekker cap.

Interior - cherry / java
Exterior - Platinum full body paint

Includes the following factory options:
15K BTU A/C with heat pump
Stabilizer jacks (2-point)
Full body paint
Black tank flush
Color back-up camera with rear view monitor
Side view cameras
Oven IPO Drawer
Bedroom TV with DVD
Cab over cabinets with 42” TV (IPO side TV)
Dyson vac

We are also adding the following exciting additional options

Grill - Exterior gas grill with quick connect
DEALER INSTALLED - Install Power Inverter - 1000 watt sine wave dc/ac power inverter with inside panel switch on/off. Inverter to power one plug in bedroom, living room.
DEALER INSTALLED - TPMS - Tire pressure monitoring system with inside remote digitial display. Monitors pressure in all six tires.
(2) Seat cushions p/n 90526 $130 each. Props up the sprinter seats when turned around - Tip I got from watching a Winnebago view video on YouTube.

Thanks in advance.
MBSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #2

If I was to order again the only thing I would have ordered differently was to not get the heat pump. Very noisy. We found that a cheap 1500W electric heater is a better alternative if you have electricity available.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #3

(2) Seat cushions p/n 90526 $130 each. Props up the sprinter seats when turned around - Tip I got from watching a Winnebago view video on YouTube.

Thanks in advance. [/QUOTE]
Did you get the cushion from FR or Winnebago?

I have a 24R with the oven. If I had it to do over again I would opt for the convection microwave and get drawers in place of the oven. Just me.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #4

x2 on oven
Had our "s" 4 years now
Never used oven except as extra storage
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:26 PM   #5

10-4 on the oven
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:56 PM   #6

Congratulations on your new purchase! We know how excited you are, as we ordered ours back in January, with the delivery in late March, as promised. We researched the options for about 3 years in all classes of motor homes in sizes under 30 feet, and chose the SunSeeker MBS 2400W. We just completed our 2nd trip, staying in the beast for 21 days and covering about 3500 miles. Our first trip was about the same distance in 14 days. We have no regrets, as the chassis and house have performed really well.

I think we have pretty much all the options as you, except for the oven, inverter, and TPMS. For us, the oven is not important... The drawer it replaces under the stove top holds all our pots and pans. For sure we will add the inverter. Check to make sure the 1000 watt size will run the microwave... Pretty sure it will not handle the convection function, which we have yet to use. Hopefully the TPMS system includes steel stems that are easily accessed. I have had trouble with the stock stems and extenders, and will be adding the TPMS. I believe these systems generally require steel or brass stems.

We also added the tv in the bedroom area. Honestly, we have yet to turn it on. The screen in the front is much nicer, and is attached to the surround sound, which is pretty neat. In our 35 days of travel we have used it maybe 3 times... After a day of route planning, de-camping, driving, sightseeing, finding a campsite, setting up, exploring, fixing dinner, communicating with family, etc., sleep is a higher priority than TV.

We have the heat pump add-on, and yes, it is a bit noisier than the furnace. But, if you are plugged in and need heat, it works fine as long as the outside temps are mid 40's or higher. And with the heat pump you are not using your propane. As an aside, I have heard some folks say the furnace is noisy. So far in our travels we have had more need for heat than cooling, and that ducted furnace is terrific, with great heat distribution throughout the coach, and, to us, pretty quiet.

We wanted the cruiser cap option, but our dealer promoted the over-cab bed as an enhancement for resale. I am not sure about this, but we have had guests for 3 nights (something we thought we would never do), and it was a lot of fun. Also, the "attic" is a great spot for coats and bedding. Looks like the Cruiser cap has some nice storage too.

Speaking of dealers, you will read about many problems that others have had... we believe most of these can be avoided by proper dealer prep and a strong dealer service department. Our dealer, Barrington Motor Sales in Bartlett IL, did a fantastic job of prepping the Beast, gave us a 4 hour PDI that included some driving tips and practice for both of us, and suggested/supplied essential accessories like various sewer line upgrades, a water pressure regulator, fresh water filters and hoses, an in-house 110 volt power monitor, and Progressive "on-the-post" surge protector. We have found all of these items quite handy, and have enhanced our camping experience.

Our SunSeeker is at rest right now, and we are suffering withdrawal symptoms, as we are really liking the lifestyle.

We wish you well on your new adventure, and hope to see you "Out There!"

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #7

On our W we put pots/pans under the sink, pot holders, foil,bags,etc where the oven would be and utensils under the pots/pans. Odd place for utensils but it works.
I have the side cameras but for some reason don't trust them.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:53 AM   #8

With our 2500TS,,, I would love to have something other than the U dinning area,,,
Like maybe a Sofa Bed or 2 recliners !!! That and the bed that can only be entered from one side,,, are our biggest dislikes !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #9

For us, the U-lounge is the center of activity... Comfortable and roomy. Love it.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 06-18-2016, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
For us, the U-lounge is the center of activity... Comfortable and roomy. Love it.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
It is fine for eating & probably play games,,,
But I would not call it comfortable,,,
Each to there own !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #11

I am in the same boat - just odered a Forester 2401W. She saw one while camping and wanted that floorplan - so we sold our Solera 24R!

We went for the cab over bed again - we just like the option to have guests, in addition its just the perfect storage space ...like Rkloud9 said..
Got the Preferred Package: Heated Remote Exterior Mirrors, Back Up Camera with Monitor, GPS Navigation, Dyson Cordless RV Vacuum with Wand, In House Entertainment Center w/ Outside Speakers, Black Tank Flush it also Includes: Skirt Paint, Cedar Lined Wardrobe, Solid Surface Kitchen Counter, Upgraded Back splash, Fantastic Vent with Rain and Temperature Sensor and Power Dome in Living Room, Metal Wrapped Awning.
I omitted the TV (do not like the location nor the size / current draw) and the living room skylight: I do not trust that flimsy plastic in a storm, its a big bridge for heat and cold to come in. Had it always filled with 1" Styrofoam in my solera.
I traded the glass shower door for a curved shower rod with curtain (saves weight and rattle and has more room, easier to clean) and added side view cameras (do I need them?) and the cargo net.
Oven? No, used it once in my Solera to make sure its working.
Heat pump? No, extra money, noisy and you need 110V anyhow to run it - in my opinion a small electric heater works better.
Stabilizer? No, did not need them in the Solera and they add weight..
Power Inverter? No, for making coffee in the boondocks I use the generator- charges batteries in the meantime.
Steel valves is a must, TPS great to have - will get...
So far I already bought: 24 inch Tv, 2 swing arms with quick change plates (had the same in my Solera, takes 15 sec to swap the TV from front to back. Extra towel holder, an adjustable shower head holder,handle for the screen door, camco vent covers, Sprinter Window Insulation Sets from Eurocamper and 2 foldable ottoman (they work great as storage box as well).
I am all set for delivery end of July, can't wait to hit the road again! We only did 6 weeks of camping this year...
Hans

And btw - I loved my Solera, I liked everything about it including the great support from FR and their representatives !
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post

Thanks in advance.
Did you get the cushion from FR or Winnebago?

I have a 24R with the oven. If I had it to do over again I would opt for the convection microwave and get drawers in place of the oven. Just me.
I told the dealer about the front cab cushions and he said he ordered them from Forest River.

Regarding the oven I believe you get the convection microwave regardless. I know most people say they never use the oven but I thought it would be nice to have and we can still use the oven as a drawer.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
I am in the same boat - just odered a Forester 2401W. She saw one while camping and wanted that floorplan - so we sold our Solera 24R!

We went for the cab over bed again - we just like the option to have guests, in addition its just the perfect storage space ...like Rkloud9 said..
Decided against the cab over bed for a couple of reasons. 1) More wind drag, lower MPG, less overall feeling of stability on highway with high winds 2) I didn't like the hangover which blocked your view looking up. We are new to RV's and I wanted to make this as easy for both of us to drive and not feel too big.

I totally agree with your points about the cab over making it easier to resell and having room for guests.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #14

I didn't like the hangover which blocked your view looking up.
It really doesn't - but its a nice sunshade! Ans I think its a great that FR gives us the option between the 2 styles...
Would be nice to hear whether the smaller cap effects handling - from reports it does not increase MPG.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
I didn't like the hangover which blocked your view looking up.
It really doesn't - but its a nice sunshade! Ans I think its a great that FR gives us the option between the 2 styles...
Would be nice to hear whether the smaller cap effects handling - from reports it does not increase MPG.

Anything that provides more wind resistance will reduce MPG. That cab over has to provide a heck of a lot more wind resistance! Because everyone has different driving habits I think it would be impossible to know how much it impacts MPG. Maybe FR can run a wind tunnel test?
Old 06-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #16

If it's about mpg you're in the wrong sport
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
If it's about mpg you're in the wrong sport
Not a helpful post. Isn't that the whole point of the Sprinter based RV's?
Old 06-18-2016, 03:37 PM   #18

Of course MPG is a major point...like the W floorplan is available on a Ford or Chevy chassy ..quite a bit cheaper but low MPG
But for me the determining factor was the smoothness of the engine and legroom. Before the Solera I had a 28' Jayco with the Ford E450 - that was a truck compared to the Sprinter and I hated the doghouse between the seats - no legroom and exposed to the engine heat. No way I would go back!
Hans
Old 06-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #19

Hans, the side view cameras are a great addition. Over the last year they have been moved from the the nose of the Sprinter chassis to the lower front corners of the "house" and you can see pretty much everything on the sides with them. Aside from lane changes, they are pretty handy when you are without a co-pilot and you are at a bad angle at an intersection. Also, the monitor that is rear view mirror-like is much better than many other "c" brands that use the in-dash radio screen.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 06-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #20

UPDATE - switched to MBS 2401S from 2401W

We decided the 2401W wasn't going to work based on how it was going to be used. We changed our order to the 2401S for the following reasons:

1. 2401W No sofa option. I tried to sell myself that I could live with the u-lounge. In talking to our former neighbors that bought a sunseeker 2400w I was convinced it was not comfortable. (they admitted they only watch movies from the bedroom tv). In the end I said no way I would be sitting in that u-lounge for any long period of time.

2. Pulling off and needing to deploy the slide to use the bed. I wanted to have the option of pulling off and taking a nap or even overnight parking at Walmart without extending the slide. Both the W and the R beds are useless without the slide.

Now I know I'm going to hear a lot of feedback about climbing into that corner bed - yes I know the corner bed is 54" vs 60". But in the end having no couch and having to deploy a slide to use the coach the way I want to use it caused me to change to the 2401S.

Would love to hear what others think, especially their thoughts about the comfort of the "u-lounge".

Tags
forester, sunseeker