Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #1

Ladder for the 24R/2400R

Just wanted to share a project on my Solera 24R. There is no ladder access to the roof on "R" models due to the rear slide. This became a problem for us on a 28 day trip when a hail storm on the Colorado plain put holes in my Hengs vents . I needed a ladder to evaluate all the damage ( luckily just the vents) and duct tape them until home. We purchased a folding ladder (heavy) and needed to carry it for the rest of the trip. I found a 26 lb telescoping ladder on Amazon to bring that can fit nicely in the passenger side lower compartment and is completely out othe way. I placed 2 self stick felt pads over the curve of the wheel well to protect from vibration and drilled the cross member for 2 - 1/4 *3 inch screw eye bolts to hold a strap. All mounting parts were from Home-depot and less than $20. Some may not want to add the weight but for those of you wanting to have ladder on trip here is the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0557.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	161926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0561.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	161927   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	161928   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0562.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	161929  
Old 02-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #2

Clever storage idea!
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
Just wanted to share a project on my Solera 24R. There is no ladder access to the roof on "R" models due to the rear slide. This became a problem for us on a 28 day trip when a hail storm on the Colorado plain put holes in my Hengs vents . I needed a ladder to evaluate all the damage ( luckily just the vents) and duct tape them until home. We purchased a folding ladder (heavy) and needed to carry it for the rest of the trip. I found a 26 lb telescoping ladder on Amazon to bring that can fit nicely in the passenger side lower compartment and is completely out othe way. I placed 2 self stick felt pads over the curve of the wheel well to protect from vibration and drilled the cross member for 2 - 1/4 *3 inch screw eye bolts to hold a strap. All mounting parts were from Home-depot and less than $20. Some may not want to add the weight but for those of you wanting to have ladder on trip here is the photos.
I have the same ladder and stow it in the same compartment. Since the ladder is needed in rare occurrences, I decided to place it in the bottom of the compartment which gives it double duty as a device to elevate other stowed items above the compartment floor. Like many others have discovered, sometimes water infiltrates that compartment. Nothing has soaked up water from the compartment bottom since I used the ladder as a platform to elevate other stored items.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #4

Very nice idea. I just bought telestep1600ep. It looks a little narrow then what you have. Thanks for sharing Rich.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #5

Love the ladder - Great storage project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
Thanks for this post about storage options for your collapsing ladder! I didn't have a "permanent" option available for my TT, so I also opted for the Amazon ladder that you have. Best $100 I ever spent!!! I can access so many parts of the roof without actually getting on the roof....and yet with the 12' ladder height I can get up there when I need to. It is interesting to me that there are so many posts about whether any particular RV can accept adding a permanent ladder when this is such a cheap, practical solution! DW took an old RV cover storage bag and adjusted the size so the ladder fits perfectly in it. Now I can use your idea to make storage easier, too! Thanks again!
slottere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:49 PM   #6

Telescoping ladder

Great idea. I use an A frame ladder at home to R&R the RV cover on our 2401 Forester. It's heavy and too cumbersome for road trips. This is the solution and I'm ordering mine today. Wish I had this at the Michigan NASCAR race while we were parked in the infield.
myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote