Old 01-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #1

Leaking from Visor??????

We have been having a large leak when down pour raining occurs. I have resealed the entire cap top area, the marker lights and the bottom side of the bottom curl on the front cap. I have surveyed the roof lines back to the skylight and the front air vent, nothing noticeable. I have taken all accessories from the front cap while raining and after rain, there are NO obvious signs of water intrusion. Both from windows have no water leaks noticeable. It rained this Monday in MS and no water was in cab area. I stepped on the stairs to exit RV and water poured out of the passenger side visor mounting area. The area was full of water. Any help would be a plus. Since this 100G + unit is out of warranty, Iím a bit peeved. If you gave had a similar leak in this area please comment, if not please refrain. Thank you

RVReggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:30 AM   #2

It would be helpful to know what rig you have.

namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post
It would be helpful to know what rig you have.
x2 I have a similar leak on my Dodge and found it to be the marker light and found it to be common for my years......but what do you drive ????

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #4

Forester MBS 2401R 2016. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9663.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	160020. I repaired this now waiting to see.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVReggie View Post
Forester MBS 2401R 2016. Attachment 160020. I repaired this now waiting to see.
Not exactly sure what we're looking at, but it doesn't look to me as though the white stuff (repair material?) is completely sealing the seams...

Dave
Old 01-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #6

True, this was resealed by me. I used non-leveling lap roof sealant and ensured that area was completely covered. Rained hard last night and still same leak in cabin area. Just frustrated.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #7

Well if I am seeing right and reading right that the picture you posted is the finished product?
If so then you need to reseal but before you do watch some videos on you tube on proper way to use the product. I see many gaping cracks. Hopefully this will help
whitewinghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #8

Options are to find a local dealer who can pressure test. Or try taping off areas of the RV to try to isolate the location of the leak. There are several threads on the forums on how people dealt with similar leaks.
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewinghunter View Post
Well if I am seeing right and reading right that the picture you posted is the finished product?
If so then you need to reseal but before you do watch some videos on you tube on proper way to use the product. I see many gaping cracks. Hopefully this will help

This is before sealing, I appreciate your help.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVReggie View Post
This is before sealing, I appreciate your help.

Well then if you sealed all of those gaps and holes then that should not be the source of your leak. If you're unsure then you could use some eternabond tape then that would completely eliminate that area.
Hope you find the problem as water leaks cause so much damage and frustration. I can only imagine how you feel after spending that much money on a vehicle that is supposed too bring relaxation. Good luck
whitewinghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #11

Yes, when it warms up and I can get Home, I will be eterna-bonding the entire top seam, and redoing the edges along the roof lines. Appreciate the replies!
Old 01-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #12

There has been more than one thread detailing the same issue you have, either here on the MB site or on the Solera site. The problem was traced to where the front cap bonds to the cab above the windshield. I recall some pictures showed a bad seal/fitment at that area.
I don't remember how it was solved, so you may want to do a thread search before attempting to seal that area.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
There has been more than one thread detailing the same issue you have, either here on the MB site or on the Solera site. The problem was traced to where the front cap bonds to the cab above the windshield. I recall some pictures showed a bad seal/fitment at that area.

I don't remember how it was solved, so you may want to do a thread search before attempting to seal that area.

Iíll be looking in that area when I get a chance, thx!
Old 01-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #14

Here's info from another thread some time back:

Leak in front cap that came through the visor, same as many others have reported. Had it in to the shop four times before we finally figured out the issue. To help troubleshoot I ended up removing all the plastic molding and visor molding to examine inside the cap easier, also bought a scope camera to thoroughly look around in there.

1st attempt the shop touched up the calk around the cap and sealed around the clearance lights. Still water entering the cap. 2nd time into the shop was the first pressure test and it only showed one clearance light had a slight leak. They sealed that and also touched up the dicor at the end of gutters. I still had water coming into the cap when it rained. 3rd time in the pressure test showed no leaks they were still baffled and re-calked a few areas around the cap and gutters. Water still coming in the cap not much but any amount is too much. The fourth time into the shop they gathered a few techs and we went over all the scenarios. The one area I always questioned ended up being the culprit. My unit does not have gutters up front so the water runs right down the outside of the cap. It comes down hugging the side with such force or suction that it defies gravity and wraps around to the cab window. There some kind of molding or spacer there that was letting water in. Attached is a photo of that area. When the shop took off the molding there was a gap at the front corner that opened to the interior of the cap letting water in. They calked the gap and along that molding section on both sides of the coach. I still have one piece of molding off so I can monitor for any leaks DW hates it but I need my piece of mind. The plan is to have front gutters put on this fall, hopefully under warranty.

(no pic attached, you should know the area he is talking about)
Old 01-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #15

Quote:

Leak in front cap that came through the visor, same as many others have reported. Had it in to the shop four times before we finally figured out the issue. To help troubleshoot I ended up removing all the plastic molding and visor molding to examine inside the cap easier, also bought a scope camera to thoroughly look around in there.

1st attempt the shop touched up the calk around the cap and sealed around the clearance lights. Still water entering the cap. 2nd time into the shop was the first pressure test and it only showed one clearance light had a slight leak. They sealed that and also touched up the dicor at the end of gutters. I still had water coming into the cap when it rained. 3rd time in the pressure test showed no leaks they were still baffled and re-calked a few areas around the cap and gutters. Water still coming in the cap not much but any amount is too much. The fourth time into the shop they gathered a few techs and we went over all the scenarios. The one area I always questioned ended up being the culprit. My unit does not have gutters up front so the water runs right down the outside of the cap. It comes down hugging the side with such force or suction that it defies gravity and wraps around to the cab window. There some kind of molding or spacer there that was letting water in. Attached is a photo of that area. When the shop took off the molding there was a gap at the front corner that opened to the interior of the cap letting water in. They calked the gap and along that molding section on both sides of the coach. I still have one piece of molding off so I can monitor for any leaks DW hates it but I need my piece of mind. The plan is to have front gutters put on this fall, hopefully under warranty.

Yes and thank you, makes the best sense of this issue. Which can explain why if Iím pitched higher in the front I donít see a leak, but when level or nose down the leak is very prevalent. I can relate to this and will investigate. Thx
Old 01-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #16

We have our 2015 24W in the shop for a similar problem. We were traveling westbound on I-80 and had some hail land in the middle of the dash! Waiting on the FR warranty authorization to get it repaired. They pulled all the interior trim. Itís only been 2 months in the shop. Sorry but itís nice to know that others are having the same problem.
Rogerbruchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #17

Here's a previous thread on the subject that may be helpful:

Bad Water Leak in New 2401 R
Old 01-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #18

Leaking from Visor??????

Quote:

There were two pics (not the best) At the end of my post. The 1st is showing the outside with rain running down and under the cap. 2nd is the inside the cap.
What have you done to customize your MBS 2400 series motor home
Old 01-21-2018, 12:49 PM   #19

Leaking from Visor??????

Hereís a video of the rain running down and under the cap at the trim area: https://youtu.be/QCQLasX--NI
Old 01-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #20

Yep, Iím going to be removing the molding and resealing the area. I verified water into and out of this area. Thanks all. Iíll send photos later

Tags
leak