Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 12:27 PM   #21

When I had my large Diesel Pusher I could fill only at the truck diesel pumps and like many truckers no concerns about leaving the engine running. However, with my 24 footer I'm in the normal auto lanes where there are more gas pumps than diesel. It is the gasoline that is the concern.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #22
Steelhorzz

A slight "twist" on the subject

Any thoughts on people who turn off their rigs "gas" engine while refueling, (for safety), but continue to run the generator so they can run their AC for the people remaining inside?

Seems to me it's still a safety issue....

I've been there feeling the heat from the generator's exhaust right there next to them by the pumps.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:56 PM   #23

We also leave the diesel running when refueling to cool down. Discussed at Camp Freightliner, and advised there was no problem. Safe travels!
Old 07-31-2017, 01:00 PM   #24
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
I don't think I've ever seen a diesel shut down during fueling. The "turn off cell phones" is also a myth, theoretically possible, but never ever had a recorded incident. It's more likely your lady's nylon pants suit will cause a spark. I'm just sayin...
Old 07-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #25
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Diesel fuel actually falls into the category of "Non Flammable Liquid" due to it's high flash point of 125 to 205 degrees.
No, I don't think so....
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 07-31-2017, 01:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Turbo cooldowns are important if you want to get more than 100k miles out of your turbo. I have 3 turbo'd vehicles in my household and one of them is at 197k miles and running strong.

I don't have an issue with diesels idling when refueling. However, I do have an issue with gassers doing this. Fuel vapors displaced by filing an empty fuel tank are easily ignited by static electricity, sometimes cell phone use, vehicles with distributor caps, and folks running a propane fridge.
I'm pretty sure there's not one documented case of a pump fire started from a cell phone. IIRC, Mythbusters tried this to no avail.

Mark
Old 07-31-2017, 01:43 PM   #27

Broncl

Years ago I worked for Shell Oil Co. and we had to evacuate the entire plant because someone was filling a gas tanker and the fumes were picked up by the diesel engine which started to over rev. We were concerned that the engine would blow and cause a fire.

The problem wasn't the diesel but the gas fumes getting into the engine. After that experience I always shut down near gas pumps just in case.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:54 PM   #28
CJ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
No, I don't think so....
Flammable liquids have a flash point under 100 degrees.

Combustible liquids have a flash point over 100 degrees.

If it's exactly 100 degrees, it's safe to drink.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
What states have laws limiting idle time to 3 minutes?
According to this web site:
https://www.allstays.com/apps/resour...ra-idling.html
Many states have a 5 minute limit, a few have a 3 minute limit, a few have a limit longer than 5 minutes, and many have no limit.

I believe that these regulations generally apply to commercial vehicles. Also, a number of the limits have exceptions for cold weather, sleeping in vehicle, or other circumstances.

Dave
Old 07-31-2017, 03:47 PM   #30

engine running

Dont you guy`s smell that crappy exhause?
Old 07-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #31

I nearly always kill mine when fueling unless it's hot and the DW and/or GS is in there. Just the correct way I think.

I do agree with the Chevrolet/Ford comment about not starting again. HA HA

now I am getting my popcorn
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 07-31-2017, 04:11 PM   #32

Pulling a trailer or running thru the California Desert when it is a 110º, never have and never will shut down the engine getting fuel... when I long hauled from Los ANgeles to New York every week in a big truck, getting fuel in a Cat or Cummins idle the throttle up to 1200 rpm's to cool down the turbo and oil but enough idle speed so you don't seep diesel fuel into the oil with low idle.

With my Dodge 2007.5 2500 6.7 Cummins, I had the dealer turn on the option, so I can run the idle from 1200 to 1600 rpm with the cruise control set button. This is also very handy for very cold morning warm ups!! Set idle for 1200 turn on Jake Brake.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:58 PM   #33

Here is a list of laws on leaving them running.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...egulations.pdf

Frank
Old 07-31-2017, 06:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMor View Post
Here is a list of laws on leaving them running.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...egulations.pdf

Frank
I read several states that I was interested in. The idle limitations pertain only to large, commercial vehicles. Plus, there are so many loopholes to allow big rigs to idle, that I don't know how any rules could ever be enforced.

So I think we are safe letting our small diesels idle when fueling

Thanks Frank!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 07-31-2017, 06:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
According to this web site:
https://www.allstays.com/apps/resour...ra-idling.html
Many states have a 5 minute limit, a few have a 3 minute limit, a few have a limit longer than 5 minutes, and many have no limit.

I believe that these regulations generally apply to commercial vehicles. Also, a number of the limits have exceptions for cold weather, sleeping in vehicle, or other circumstances.

Dave
Thanks for that. I'd never heard of that before.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
Old 07-31-2017, 07:01 PM   #36

I don't buy the argument that a turbo-diesel needs to idle for a long time while the turbo bearing cool down. Unless you have just towed up a long, steep grade and then instantly ducked into a fueling station, the time it takes to exit the highway, maneuver into a fueling stall, and then begin re-fueling should be sufficient to prevent the bearings from being damaged by excessive heat. To me, it is simply inconsiderate of other motorists to sit at the fueling station and keep your engine idling. Diesels are noisy.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:21 PM   #37

Jakie-Boy Even on a Sunday at 0330 you couldn't hear my Ford 6.7 diesel idling.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:28 PM   #38

From the Manual

This is copied form the Duramax owners manual as to when to let you vehicle run before shiutting it down:

"Engine coolant at higher elevation will boil at a lower temperature than at or near sea level. If the engine is turned off immediately after towing at high elevation on steep uphill grades, the vehicle may show signs similar to engine overheating. To
avoid this, let the engine run while parked (preferably on level ground) with the transmission in P (Park) and the parking brake applied for at least five minutes before turning the engine off. If the overheat warning comes on, see Engine Overheating 0 109."

As for fueling while running, you make that choice.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:02 PM   #39

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170731_225804561.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	146703

Right from the book

Ken and Denise new SOB Imagine2019 2850mk 2017 Ram 2500 ctd.
previous 2015 shamrock23s,2015 Ram Eco diesel
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra,diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.2005 ram
Old 07-31-2017, 10:16 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by safrog View Post
This is copied form the Duramax owners manual as to when to let you vehicle run before shiutting it down:

"Engine coolant at higher elevation will boil at a lower temperature than at or near sea level. If the engine is turned off immediately after towing at high elevation on steep uphill grades, the vehicle may show signs similar to engine overheating. To

avoid this, let the engine run while parked (preferably on level ground) with the transmission in P (Park) and the parking brake applied for at least five minutes before turning the engine off. If the overheat warning comes on, see Engine Overheating 0 109."

As for fueling while running, you make that choice.

Many of the responses to my question are coming from folks who are towing trailers with their diesel powered pick-ups... this section is focused on Mercedes Benz Sprinters that are set up as Class C motorhomes... the majority of us do not tow anything, but some of us do pull a toad (me included). In general, Mercedes does not encourage extended idling on the 3 Liter V-6, but we are not talking about more than a 5 to 10 minute period while filling up. Do any Sprinter owners leave their engines running while fueling? By the way, this engine is extraordinarily smooth and quite at idle, and there is little, if any, diesel smell.
Closed Thread

Tags
fuel