Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #21

secure wheel covers with ty wraps

Saves you from looing them and potential on rear wheels for taking out the air fill lines
TNSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #22

Dealer price for these simulated wheel covers is about $160 each. That is one expensive hub cap!
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #23
Senior

I am tempted to simply paint the wheels black. Camped next to someone who did that and thought it looked good. Not to mention cheaper than replacing the missing wheel liner or buying a new screw on set. Of course aluminum wheels are the best solution if you can afford them.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #24

Quote:
I am tempted to simply paint the wheels black. Camped next to someone who did that and thought it looked good. Not to mention cheaper than replacing the missing wheel liner or buying a new screw on set. Of course aluminum wheels are the best solution if you can afford them.
sailski I can hear my wife in my ears about they don't look nice. I am waiting til next summer to get semi gloss black spray can and make them shine. Right now she has to look away. I know it bothered her a lot of all those scratches cause by hub springs fingers retention (if that what you call them). Paint them keep the rest of your money and have fun.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #25

I have (4) FR Hubcaps for sale from a 2015 Solera 24R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
I lost one of my front wheel covers somewhere. Does anyone know where I can find one to match? I am not in any way knowledgeable about such things and thought to ask here first! Thanks in advance!
I replaced my MB rims with Alcoa aluminum rims a month ago. I now have (4) hubcaps that as far as I know don't have a scratch on them 2-front, 2-back. I'd sell all 4 for $100 + shipping.

I also have (4) MB RIMS that are not in perfect shape because the hubcaps scratched them up. Other than the scratches and the rust you will find on any 2015 MB rim, they are also for sale !

I am in Ohio if anyone is interested,
Jeff
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
I replaced my MB rims with Alcoa aluminum rims a month ago. I now have (4) hubcaps that as far as I know don't have a scratch on them 2-front, 2-back. I'd sell all 4 for $100 + shipping.

I also have (4) MB RIMS that are not in perfect shape because the hubcaps scratched them up. Other than the scratches and the rust you will find on any 2015 MB rim, they are also for sale !

Jeff
You kept steel inside rear wheels?
Old 10-11-2016, 05:09 AM   #27

Pictures please!

Quote:

Jeff
I need pictures before I pull the plug and do this too!
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:12 AM   #28

Quote:

Jeff
Bet they look sweet!!! The only real issue, if you can call it that, you will be unable to rotate tires to front just side to side without paying for demoing and remount.. most that have these just buy new front tires when and if front start cupping since it is cheaper than paying for the remounting.
Davidjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #29

Pictures of the Alcoa Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
I need pictures before I pull the plug and do this too!
Here is a link to a couple pictures of the Alcoa Rims. I'm still looking for (2) valve-stem stabilizers (rubber grommets).

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AthDbJ0kaDaPh0355t1s_wPJFJMl
Old 10-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #30

Those look great. Thanks for sharing the pictures!
LoveLife7478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:54 AM   #31

[QUOTE I'm still looking for (2) valve-stem stabilizers (rubber grommets).
[/QUOTE]

They have them here...
Alcoa Wheels | Steel & Aluminum Truck Rims Buy Truck Wheels

That's where I got mine.

***I also have a full set of covers and 4 steel wheels for sale cheap. I am in Phoenix
Old 10-14-2016, 05:20 AM   #32

Oh great, thanks a lot ;)

Quote:
Here is a link to a couple pictures of the Alcoa Rims. I'm still looking for (2) valve-stem stabilizers (rubber grommets).

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AthDbJ0kaDaPh0355t1s_wPJFJMl
You just cost me a couple thousand dollars

Those wheels look really good. Going to give myself an early Christmas present and put Forrest on a diet.

Any issues checking/adjusting tire pressures?
Old 10-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #33

Easier to check tire pressures

Quote:
Any issues checking/adjusting tire pressures?
Nope/nada/nunca/nyet. The fronts are easier to check than the factory rims+hubcaps, and the rears are about the same. I'm currently looking for rear valve-stem stabilizers. The oval hole is ~ 3.5" x 1.5".

The new Alcoa Evo? model has round holes.

I am sure you have already realized that wrt rotation - the tires will have to stay where they are unless you want to pay to have them removed from the rims.

I just started working for Goodyear (Corporate HQ), so I don't care if I burn through tires...

Let us know when you have them bolted on !
Old 10-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #34

What about with 6 wheels?

Quote:
Nope/nada/nunca/nyet. The fronts are easier to check than the factory rims+hubcaps, and the rears are about the same. I'm currently looking for rear valve-stem stabilizers. The oval hole is ~ 3.5" x 1.5".

The new Alcoa Evo? model has round holes.

I am sure you have already realized that wrt rotation - the tires will have to stay where they are unless you want to pay to have them removed from the rims.

I just started working for Goodyear (Corporate HQ), so I don't care if I burn through tires...

Let us know when you have them bolted on !
I think the other option is to replace all 6 wheels with the Alcoa's and then you can rotate the rear inners to the fronts. There appears to be some confusion about whether or not the MBS wheel studs can support the additional thickness of the Alcoa wheels when you replace inners and outers - but Alcoa has a tech bulletin that says you can. Additionally, Leisure Time offers the aluminum wheels as an upgrade and they install 6.

Not cheap, but what a great improvement in both appearance, weight reduction and functionality.

Thanks for the pictures!
Old 10-15-2016, 06:55 AM   #35

Two issues rotating Alcoa rear 'inner rims'

Quote:
I think the other option is to replace all 6 wheels with the Alcoa's and then you can rotate the rear inners to the fronts.
Before you spring for 6 instead of 4, consider these 2 issues -

1. The Alcoa's only have a polish/finish on one side. Maybe you can purchase the finish on both sides, but I am not aware of it.

2. If you look at your inner steel rims, they are all marred/rusty where they contact the outer rim. I bet if you purchased inner Alcoa's, they would also become marred and ugly - and that is the side that will face 'out' if you move them to the front.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:04 AM   #36

Great point

Quote:
Before you spring for 6 instead of 4, consider these 2 issues -

1. The Alcoa's only have a polish/finish on one side. Maybe you can purchase the finish on both sides, but I am not aware of it.

2. If you look at your inner steel rims, they are all marred/rusty where they contact the outer rim. I bet if you purchased inner Alcoa's, they would also become marred and ugly - and that is the side that will face 'out' if you move them to the front.
Had not thought of that and you are correct. The Sprinter wheels are not available polished both sides. Guess I'll just rotate the tires once when I install the new rims.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:02 AM   #37

If they are going to be uglier anyways. Keep your old steel rims and $3600.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, wheel