Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 11:45 PM   #1

Question MBS 2401R Paint

Has anyone with the MB Sprinter 2401R had any paint related issues with the unit. I've noticed 2 bubbles on the rear slide-out 10-12" from outside edges. One on each side same locations. Of course I'm passed the 12 months period, but I thought the full body paintings went beyond the 12 months anyway. Anyone has the skinny of this?
Thanks
Will
WILLMCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:17 AM   #2

I've found the back slide right in top edge about a month after I took it home. Paint was running like excess paint. Dealer had it for two weeks and nothing was done to it. I'm gonna to live with it because I can't deal with incompetence service department.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:28 AM   #3

I have a couple 'burnished spots / blems' in my 24R paint

I have a couple places where the surface was 'dirty' when they clear-coated it. I know where the (3) areas are, and live with it, as a repair would be extensive given all the colors. I can't even get FR to give me the company that did the paint job, as there are several, and their formulations are all different even if the colors look the same. Even if you have the paint codes, if you don't know who painted it, they are useless because you have to go back to the painter to get the paint mixed with their codes.

Bottom line is that we buy these things 'as-is' even when they are brand new. MB provides a good warranty and service, and many of the suppliers that provide components have decent warranty and tech support.

Things that FR is responsible for - like wiring, plumbing, and paint - it is 'as-is', or be prepared to battle with a dealer that doesn't much care. The exception is that there are a few dealers that do care and have good tech's. I hope we all have found such a dealer.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLMCC View Post
Has anyone with the MB Sprinter 2401R had any paint related issues with the unit. I've noticed 2 bubbles on the rear slide-out 10-12" from outside edges. One on each side same locations. Of course I'm passed the 12 months period, but I thought the full body paintings went beyond the 12 months anyway. Anyone has the skinny of this?
Thanks
Will
I ordered mine "full paint", but have regrets. Sure looks pretty when new, but lots of touch up is need along the way to keep it looking like new. At the factory, they paint EVERYTHING. They paint the plastic trim, which expands and contracts and creates cracks in the paint. If you need to replace a strip of the trim, it won't match. They paint the areas that have been caulked. Caulk dries out, falls off, then you are left with unsightly areas that must be touched up. Paint on pliable plastic or caulk is not a good idea. And if they did not properly prep for paint on the "paintable" surfaces, you can have bubbles and flaking. Although I have been able to keep mine looking good, I should have recognized the potential issues before ordering. I'll forego paint on my next unit.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote