Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #1

Exclamation MBS 2401WS questions

Our 2016 MSB 2401WS Forest River Forester Super Slide Out has a Broken or Damaged Front Drive Shaft. While bringing in our Slide Out with Power/normal operating conditions, a Metallic snap was heard. After a complete Diagnosis from the Technician we found, he noticed that the Drive Shaft had dropped down from the specified location. So a new Shaft has been Ordered and recieved, will be Installed soon. Looking at this new Drive Shaft, it's made of Light weight Aluminum. Why not Steel??? I truly do understand the making certain items light Weight, but why something that has Torque applied to it....
My other Question that I have is, What is Max Weight for each Outside Compartment and Inside Drawers? I have 2 Outside Compartment's and 2 Inside Drawers in the Slide Out.
Thank you for your time.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:28 PM   #2

MBS 2401WS questions

I don’t think there are any specs for the compartments or drawers. We just have to use good judgment. Also some compartments are supported underneath so much stronger than those that aren’t. Some drawers are tougher than others. The drawers in our 2401R I wouldn’t put a whole lot of weight in, to be honest. The metal hardware isn’t bad but it’s all screwed into thin and flimsy wood. They are sturdy enough to hold silverware, camp weight pots and pans and some clothes. I saw a kitchen drawer in a rental unit get broken by being loaded up with heavy canned goods. (I broke it so I fixed it...) They just aren’t made for that.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce A. Garrison View Post
Our 2016 MSB 2401WS Forest River Forester Super Slide Out has a Broken or Damaged Front Drive Shaft. While bringing in our Slide Out with Power/normal operating conditions, a Metallic snap was heard. After a complete Diagnosis from the Technician we found, he noticed that the Drive Shaft had dropped down from the specified location. So a new Shaft has been Ordered and recieved, will be Installed soon. Looking at this new Drive Shaft, it's made of Light weight Aluminum. Why not Steel??? I truly do understand the making certain items light Weight, but why something that has Torque applied to it....
My other Question that I have is, What is Max Weight for each Outside Compartment and Inside Drawers? I have 2 Outside Compartment's and 2 Inside Drawers in the Slide Out.
Thank you for your time.
Other than the slideout, how has your experience been in your 2401 Forester? We are looking at buying a used 2400W MBS, and I want to find out as much as I can before we make a decision. thanks!
Drummergirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
I don’t think there are any specs for the compartments or drawers. We just have to use good judgment. Also some compartments are supported underneath so much stronger than those that aren’t. Some drawers are tougher than others. The drawers in our 2401R I wouldn’t put a whole lot of weight in, to be honest. The metal hardware isn’t bad but it’s all screwed into thin and flimsy wood. They are sturdy enough to hold silverware, camp weight pots and pans and some clothes. I saw a kitchen drawer in a rental unit get broken by being loaded up with heavy canned goods. (I broke it so I fixed it...) They just aren’t made for that.
Have you been pleased with your Forester? We are looking at buying a used 2018 2400 MBS Forester, and I want to find out all I can. thanks !!!!
Old 02-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #5

We love our MBS 2401WS. We bought it used with very low mileage. We pull our Car behind it, with a Tow Dolly. Being a Diesel it very good on Fuel and without the rear Camera you wouldn't even know that the Car/Tow Dolly was there. It really helps in stabilizing while Driving in Windy conditions.
Please feel free to ask any question with your search for your perfect choice.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #6

Quote:
We love our MBS 2401WS. We bought it used with very low mileage. We pull our Car behind it, with a Tow Dolly. Being a Diesel it very good on Fuel and without the rear Camera you wouldn't even know that the Car/Tow Dolly was there. It really helps in stabilizing while Driving in Windy conditions.
Please feel free to ask any question with your search for your perfect choice.
So you are saying that your RV is more stable towing a car behind? Wow, I had not heard that before.

Is this the first time you have had trouble with your superslide? Any tips about a superslide one should know? The former owner of the Forester we are considering said he messed up his slide when he parked it and it wasn't level enough. I love the superslide for the way it opens up the camper, but I would love to hear more of the good bad and the ugly.....eyes wide opened for us!
Old 02-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #7

This was our first major problem with our Super Slide, thanks to having an Extended Warranty, making this issue worth having.
I've learned how to remove the 2 Slide Motors so if there is a problem we can still manually push out/in the Slide. It will take 3 People to push it out and only 2 to push it in. My Wife and I didn't have any problems asking for help in the last 3 Campgrounds before returning Home.
We have learned that it doesn't matter
Old 02-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #8

We have learned that it doesn't matter what you buy for a Motor Home, everyone will have issues. Some issues are caused by Operator Errors and others we have no control.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #9

Quote:
This was our first major problem with our Super Slide, thanks to having an Extended Warranty, making this issue worth having.
I've learned how to remove the 2 Slide Motors so if there is a problem we can still manually push out/in the Slide. It will take 3 People to push it out and only 2 to push it in. My Wife and I didn't have any problems asking for help in the last 3 Campgrounds before returning Home.
We have learned that it doesn't matter

Thank you for letting me know. That's very helpful!
Old 02-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #10

Slide-out Issues

We had our 2016 2400W MBS for three years and loved the open space when the slide was out. We did not have any problems the 3 years that we camped with it, but after 3 years we noticed some stress fractures on the bottom of the slide out (by stress fractures I mean that the fiberglass was cracking where it ran over the rollers). There have also been several posts about the rollers breaking off and folks had to have that repaired. We just sold it last Fall and ordered a new LTV FTB Wonder without a slide-out. Overall we loved the 2400W, but there were many issues due to poor quality control issues - sloppy build if you will. We repaired many things ourselves and had two issues taken care of under warranty. There was a recall on the rear tail light controller. The 2400W was our first RV and we loved it, but were very disappointed with the quality of the build. It was a very affordable RV, but in the end I guess you get what you pay for. Good luck!
rkreusel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummergirl8 View Post
Have you been pleased with your Forester? We are looking at buying a used 2018 2400 MBS Forester, and I want to find out all I can. thanks !!!!

Absolutely, yes! The 2401R is a great model. It gets a little right around the bathroom but it has more storage in several areas than then2401W. But the 2401W is a great model too with so much open room inside. Also pay attention to getting around and what you can/can’t use when the slide(s) are in. The R has 2 slides and everything is usable but the bed. The W has one slide and I don’t recall usability when closed but I think it’s OK. PS the 2400s are Sunseeker and the 2401s are Forester with some different features and finishes but otherwise quite similar.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #12

Mbs 2401 WS

We bought a used 2018 2400 W. It had 2,000 miles. We have owned motor homes in the past and there are always things that are going to need fixed. Try to find a dealer you feel comfortable with and can trust, they can help you through some of the issue you are going to have. The forum is helpful. We wanted a diesel generator, because we do a lot of dry camping, propane generator will run out of propane, Look for what you want in options, there are a lot of used coaches out there. Good luck
rotdoxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Absolutely, yes! The 2401R is a great model. It gets a little right around the bathroom but it has more storage in several areas than then2401W. But the 2401W is a great model too with so much open room inside. Also pay attention to getting around and what you can/can’t use when the slide(s) are in. The R has 2 slides and everything is usable but the bed. The W has one slide and I don’t recall usability when closed but I think it’s OK. PS the 2400s are Sunseeker and the 2401s are Forester with some different features and finishes but otherwise quite similar.
Interesting, the one we were looking at was advertised as a 2400W Forester on Craigslist. But I see what you are saying. I don't know why they didn't know what they had...hopefully it wasn't a fraud listing. Anyway, it's not longer listed, so apparently, they sold it. The search continues! Thanks for your wisdom!
Old 03-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Interesting, the one we were looking at was advertised as a 2400W Forester on Craigslist. But I see what you are saying. I don't know why they didn't know what they had...hopefully it wasn't a fraud listing. Anyway, it's not longer listed, so apparently, they sold it. The search continues! Thanks for your wisdom!
The "W" designation would be correct. The other person meant it to be plural, as in the 2400's or 2400/2401 series. Not to be confusing further, but there actually is an S model out there in addition to R and W.
I have owned both an R and now a W. The R was nice, but I like the W floor plan better. It's roomier, has a larger shower and there is no step going up into the rear of the coach. Unlike the R, there is actually room to bring in a couple of chairs for use in the living room. I use a fold up lounger in the living room for TV watching. We chose a convection microwave instead of the conventional oven. Love it!
I was concerned about storage in the W since the R has more cubic feet, but the W has more individual compartments which handled everything I carry.
I have a U dinette in mine which I like, but others prefer a couch or recliners. There are 3 types of over-cab styles: overhead bed, overhead storage or Trekker cap, which is smaller and more aerodynamic.
Do the research on what features you want and good luck!
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
The "W" designation would be correct. The other person meant it to be plural, as in the 2400's or 2400/2401 series. Not to be confusing further, but there actually is an S model out there in addition to R and W.
I have owned both an R and now a W. The R was nice, but I like the W floor plan better. It's roomier, has a larger shower and there is no step going up into the rear of the coach. Unlike the R, there is actually room to bring in a couple of chairs for use in the living room. I use a fold up lounger in the living room for TV watching. We chose a convection microwave instead of the conventional oven. Love it!
I was concerned about storage in the W since the R has more cubic feet, but the W has more individual compartments which handled everything I carry.
I have a U dinette in mine which I like, but others prefer a couch or recliners. There are 3 types of over-cab styles: overhead bed, overhead storage or Trekker cap, which is smaller and more aerodynamic.
Do the research on what features you want and good luck!
I still want these C classes, but we may end up getting a cheap trailer first to see if we like camping. My husband goes back and forth on it, so who knows what we'll end up with. He needs to be all in for this to work. So, I'm patiently waiting! But if money wasn't an issue, the C class would be our druthers. I like the W style with the full wall slide alot so far. A dinette is nice, but I'm warming up to the double recliners now.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #16

Quote:
I still want these C classes, but we may end up getting a cheap trailer first to see if we like camping. My husband goes back and forth on it, so who knows what we'll end up with. He needs to be all in for this to work. So, I'm patiently waiting! But if money wasn't an issue, the C class would be our druthers. I like the W style with the full wall slide alot so far. A dinette is nice, but I'm warming up to the double recliners now.
Every type of RV has it's advantages. I've had everything from truck camper slide in's to pop ups to travel trailers and class b's and c's. Never have owned a class A model or 5th wheel, since I prefer a smaller rig. I've liked each one that I have owned.
However, I really like the small diesel class c since I can just hop in and go. These small rigs are so easy to drive, even if I tow my Jeep. I can pretty much park anywhere and after 40 years of trying most other options, FWIW, this is what I like.
Buying one of these rigs is a big financial commitment, so you should make sure you like camping. But if you buy a nice rig that has already had the first years' depreciation wrung out of it, you can always resell if you decide you don't like the lifestyle. And if you do decide to buy a new one, subtract about 35% from the list price to arrive at a realistic buying price. Don't be afraid to haggle. There is plenty of room in the pricing for the dealer to come down at least 30%.
Enjoy!
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
Every type of RV has it's advantages. I've had everything from truck camper slide in's to pop ups to travel trailers and class b's and c's. Never have owned a class A model or 5th wheel, since I prefer a smaller rig. I've liked each one that I have owned.
However, I really like the small diesel class c since I can just hop in and go. These small rigs are so easy to drive, even if I tow my Jeep. I can pretty much park anywhere and after 40 years of trying most other options, FWIW, this is what I like.
Buying one of these rigs is a big financial commitment, so you should make sure you like camping. But if you buy a nice rig that has already had the first years' depreciation wrung out of it, you can always resell if you decide you don't like the lifestyle. And if you do decide to buy a new one, subtract about 35% from the list price to arrive at a realistic buying price. Don't be afraid to haggle. There is plenty of room in the pricing for the dealer to come down at least 30%.
Enjoy!
Thank you so much! Will do!
Old 03-18-2019, 06:50 AM   #18

Why not rent?

Quote:
Buying a "cheap" trailer might just sour you on the whole experience. If money is an issue, I submit that buying is probably not the best financial decision you could make.

I've said this before - I really enjoy being able to load my stuff into our motorhome and drive around the country. I really dislike owning an RV. They are unreliable and can be a big money pit. Dealer (warranty) service is hit or miss, you need to be able to fix these things yourself and if you are Type A like me - the fit/finish/assembly quality will drive you nuts.

I know I'm in the minority but I wish someone had talked to me about the pitfalls before I bought. At least then, I would not have had unrealistic expectations about quality and warranty service.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Buying a "cheap" trailer might just sour you on the whole experience. If money is an issue, I submit that buying is probably not the best financial decision you could make.

I've said this before - I really enjoy being able to load my stuff into our motorhome and drive around the country. I really dislike owning an RV. They are unreliable and can be a big money pit. Dealer (warranty) service is hit or miss, you need to be able to fix these things yourself and if you are Type A like me - the fit/finish/assembly quality will drive you nuts.

I know I'm in the minority but I wish someone had talked to me about the pitfalls before I bought. At least then, I would not have had unrealistic expectations about quality and warranty service.
Money is an issue. I think my husband doesn't want to put a whole lot into it since we don't know yet if we will like the camping experience. Yes, we want a C Class. But I don't know if he will buy one of those right off unless we start with something like a travel trailer. We have 4 small dogs which will complicate it some. I've definitely been reading posts and hearing about bad experiences at dealerships and their warranty service. I still think we want to do it, but I'm not pushing too hard until my husband feels like he's ready. When I say cheap trailer, I don't mean the biggest piece of junk out there. But I've not been able to get him to warm up to a nice Outdoors RV trailer, or other heavier well built ones, because we'd have to buy a new tow vehicle....thus, we might as well buy a motor home if we have to do that. I looked at the Forest River Surveyor, as a small alternative like an RPod (which we had been looking at recently)....it has a little more room, and still under 20K. I get what you're saying about bad experiences. I guess that's why we haven't bought yet....wondering if spending even under 20K is worth it. I really wanted a 4 seasons trailer, like a Lance, but he didn't want to spend 40K+ on one of those. We're ok with used, but most used trailers that are Lance are not in our area. I guess I could keep looking for those again.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #20

Quote:

Absolutely, yes! We have been very, very happy with it - even more than I expected.