Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
Site Team

MBS Chassis Questions

I've been reading the older posts but have not come across much info on the Sprinter chassis. And I haven't found any FR documentation that fully describes the MBS chassis details.

What Mercedes options, or packages, are included in the cab chassis configuration that FR uses? From my research on all brands of MBS Class C's it appears that some manufactures add more M-B options than FR.

Regarding model years. I've seen some posts were the poster stated they have a 201X Solera on a 201Y chassis. How can you have a single vehicle with two model years? The VIN of the chassis is what determines the model year in my experience. Since we ordered a 2016 Sunseeker 2400W I'm expecting a 2016 M-B chassis.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #2

The model year question. FR switches their MY but the can't change the MY of the chassis they have sitting on their lot from manufacture so you get the MY of the manufacture and the new MY of the RV. Our 24R coming this week is a '16 RV with a '15 MBenz chassis.
DBTSolera24R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
2012 Solera 24S

I have owned two Class C motor homes. Both had a chassis with a different model year than the RV.

And welcome to the Sprinter motor home family. You're going to love it.
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Okay... Since the VIN of the M-B chassis is used for most legal purposes; title, registration, and insurance, what document makes the overall unit a different model year? The FR "build sheet" showing the entire unit?
Old 05-30-2015, 06:07 PM   #5

[emoji589] deleted post[emoji381]
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #6

The cab chassis is pretty much bone stock. It has a few things like A/C, power windows and door locks, cruise control, etc. If you order a regular sprinter van the options are endless it seems. We looked at doing a customer Sprinter 3500 Van conversion but the cost is prohibitive compared to what FR offers and you get a lot more RV for the money. Besides the van conversions aren't really designed for than 2 people. We have 2 kids so that option was out. Check Out http://sprinter-source.com for van info.

Brian

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:02 AM   #7

Take a look at the MB owner's manual. It describes two configurations which help sort out some of the differences. One model has steering wheel buttons and the other (FR) does not. It doesn't break down all the differences, but it helped me figure out what my rig had (2014 Solera, both MB chassis and FR mh).
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:10 AM   #8
Site Team

Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate your assistance.

Regarding the model year I found a recent post by F.R.O.G. Bob that "officially" answers my model year question. You can read the entire thread Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
This is a common question and a common issue in the RV industry.

The model year of your RV is determined by the "completed unit" model year. The RV manufacturer -- Forest River or anyone else -- buys Class A and Class C chassis from Freightliner, Chevy, Ford, Mercedes, or someone else and has to order and stock them in advance. The chassis might be a 2014 model, but the RV is then built on it after the RV model year has switched over to 2015, and the unit has whatever new features the RV manufacturer has introduced for the 2015 model year.

The RV manufacturer designates the model year of the completed model year, and your unit is a 2015 RV.

In any event, though, the warranty kicks in on the date that the unit is sold to the retail purchaser, so your warranty period starts from that date.

Hope this helps.
I'd already downloaded the M-B manuals and the MBS Chassis brochure. The brochure answered some questions and created a few more!

Thanks again.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #9

"What Mercedes options, or packages, are included in the cab chassis configuration that FR uses? From my research on all brands of MBS Class C's it appears that some manufactures add more M-B options than FR".

Red, if your looking for chassis specific data on your chassis, I believe the "ninth" position of the chassis vin# designates the model yr. You need to look up the character that will correspond to the model yr of manufacture.

As far as what MB has installed on that chassis, you need to request a "data sheet" from a cooperating MB dealer, as it is downloaded from the mfg database and is vin# specific.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #10
Site Team

I have a neighbor who is a Master mechanic at the local M-B / Sprinter dealership so as soon as I have a VIN I'll have a data sheet.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:13 PM   #11

So, if you already knew about the data sheet, great, if not your welcome.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:25 PM   #12
Site Team

I do appreciate you pointing it out.

I've used Ford's ETIS website (Linked Here) to pull down the complete "build sheets" on my Ford vehicles. Having that much detailed info can be very handy when you need parts.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:39 PM   #13

I agree. Unfortunately, MB holds that information closer to the belt. But, where there is a will, there is a way. To me, the different corporate cultures that exist is interesting. Some tend to be more customer friendly than others it seems.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:42 PM   #14

My 2016 Sunseeker MBS is on a 2015 Sprinter chassis. It is pretty stock as described in an earlier post. Doesn't even tell you MPG or outside temp. But I'm not counting MPG (don't want to spoil vacation fun by worrying about that!) and my phone tells me which way I'm going. But it does have a clock and the cruise control is dead simple and works great. And of course the 3 liter MB engine is amazing.
ericlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:51 PM   #15

Most likely your instrument cluster has an outside temp feature. It is activated by turning the key to the second position, then hold down the M button. That should toggle it between digital odometer and outside temp functions.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #16

Every time I look at this forum I learn something new. Even better now that it is MBS sprinter specific. Thanks a ton to whoever got that started.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #17
Dynamax Isata 5 FW

If you want to learn more about your sprinter go to http://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php
Old 12-28-2015, 10:47 PM   #18

"Okay... Since the VIN of the M-B chassis is used for most legal purposes; title, registration, and insurance, what document makes the overall unit a different model year? The FR "build sheet" showing the entire unit?"

My 2016 on a 2015 chassis is registered as a 2016 Sunseeker MBS on the title, registration, and insurance.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:39 PM   #19

Hello from the mountains (6100ft) in Southern California.
Been following the forum all summer and really enjoy reading so many interesting topics. Expecting our MBS 2401R (on order) late Jan and can't wait.

Last week we received the Vin number and I was able to get a lot of details on Mercedes options for our Sprinter.

Here's the website I used:
Checking VIN for Mercedes-Benz WDDHF7EBXEA947042 | CARInfo

Go about 3/4 down the page and enter you Vin number and make sure English is selected where it says: Check the VIN Mercedes-Benz
Wrightwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:30 AM   #20

Wrightwood- Thx it worked perfectly and gave me a complete list re my build. Did not know my MBS was a 2015

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote