Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

MBS fuel tank capacity - 19 gal.?

When my warning light comes on and the bar graph show one bar and zero miles to go. I stop for fuel, yet I can only get about 19 gallons in the tank. That is a range of about 250 miles (14.5 mpg) before I have to fill up again. That happens every time, which drives my wife crazy. She thinks we are going to be stranded in the middle of nowhere.

That does not match the specification chart of 26 gallons. Is there is reserve tank that I am missing?
Aspenmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #2

Its not only yours - thats a MB spinter thing! all do the same thing, the low light comes on way too early and makes us nervous. You really have 26 gallons - so you are good to go another 80miles..
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:27 AM   #3

When the light comes on you have approx. 6 GAL remaining.
I reset the odometer to zero and conservatively know that I csn drive an additional fifty miles to find fuel. That still gives me several more miles if needed.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:35 AM   #4

Same here-- agree it's a "sprinter thing"
Old 06-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #5

Fuel

Pretty much the same with our 2015 Solera.
I always carry a can with about 4 - 5 gallons of diesel in case of miscalculation when travelling cross country.
john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #6

averaged a bit over 13mpg

We got back yesterday from an 800 mile maiden trip from the metro Detroit area to the UPPER and back in our 2017 MBS 2400WS pulling a 3000 pound tandem axle trailer and averaged a wee bit over 13 mpg.

It rained the most of the way up the first day so I kept it around 60 with the cruise off. The second day was a combination of highway and country roads so the speed varied and there was some stop and go conditions. On the way back I ran a steady 60 across US 2 and then once we crossed the bridge into the LOWER I set the cruise at 65 and ran it up to 70 on occassion to pass slower RV's.

Although the cruise control is a dream, it appeared as though the fuel mileage would be better running without it on. Fuel prices along the I-75 were averaging just shy of $2.60/gal. When I calculated the cents per mile the cost for the entire trip it was just over 19 cents.

Since the mileage should get better as we get more miles on the engine, (just hit 1100 miles, I am glad I chose the diesel over the gas engine already.

BTW We stopped at a BP near Pinconning and topped off the DEF, using the DEF pump. $2.20/gal so it may be worthwhile to save that empty jug and fill it whenever you come across a truck stop. I am not sure about the rest of the country but every depot in Michigan has ultra low sulfur diesel fuel.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:28 AM   #7

Note that when using the cruise control, you can still change gears and hold the speed setting. I think the "sweet spot" for fuel economy is in the 55-60 mph range. At 55, you can use either 4th or 5th gear... In 4th @ 55 mph, the RPM is about 2800, which is where the engine reaches close to maximum torque. The Sprinter 5 speed tranny is notorious for letting the rpm's drop pretty low before downshifting, often "lugging" the motor a bit. The manual down shirt reduces the lugging (engine load), helps the mileage, and makes for a happy, more clean running engine.

If you are interested in having more info on the inner-workings of the Sprinter at your fingertips, consider getting an OBD (On Board Diagnostics) reader, like a ScanGuage 2. This device allows you to monitor all sorts of engine data, like engine load, exact RPM's, Speed, Water Temperature (and lots more). There is a months worth of reading on the benefits of having one of these... Here's a link to one of many threads on the forum that discusses OBD's.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43707

Hope this helps!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #8

Will give that a try next time out. Thanks. Btw if 2800 os optimum rpm amd that equates to 70mph. How come optimum speed os 55-60. LOL
Old 06-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #9

UltraGauge BLUE

I am installing the Blue (Bluetooth connection to my iPad and iPhone) on my 2401 R today. It has the ability to show miles to empty. It is done by calibration. As you refill, you enter the quantity added for two fill ups, after you enter the tanks capacity (26gals.), then it tells you how far you can drive. Sure beats the fuel gauge!

I will report back. It seems like a welcome addition if it works right. Total cost was $89 with the iPhone mount.
Aspenmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenmeadow View Post

I will report back. It seems like a welcome addition if it works right. Total cost was $89 with the iPhone mount.
I already know I can go about 200 miles safely without the low fuel light going on. On our most recent trip home, knowing that I could get diesel at almost every highway exit, I kept driving until the low fuel light came on. That was at about 215 miles. I pulled over at the next available exit which was 5 miles down the highway. At 220 miles our motorhome pulling the trailer doing 65-70 took 19.3 gallons of diesel to fill up.

This knowledge along with knowing that the tank holds 26 gallons give or take a bit. I can safely drive 250 miles between fill ups. and, I don't need to spend a single cent to know that if I fill up every 200 miles I will be safe and it will be time for me to take a break to walk around and stretch out.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #11
2012 Solera

Of note, on some tanks I believe the Sprinter performs a DPF (diesel particulate filter) clean cycle. That cycle uses significant fuel. I periodically experience a couple mpg drop in fuel mileage, which I attribute to this cause. Solely using miles as a determinant of fuel available may be wrong, based on this experience.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:21 AM   #12

Thats why all vehicles have a fuel guage

To depend on just one means for determining whem ro refuel is a fools game and the outcome most likely is eunning out

Tags
tank