Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2018, 02:51 PM   #1

MBS getting moved around in the wind

We bought a used 2018 MBS 2400WS with 2,000 miles on it. We are surprised how much you get moved around in the wind or when a semi truck passes you. We drive around 62 to 65 mph. We have owned bigger motor homes in the past and didn’t have this issue. Reading the forums I increased the tire pressure to 70 psi and that helped. Wondering what some of you have done for upgrades or if you have this issue. Thanks
rotdoxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:44 PM   #2

Most with concerns have added front and rear sumosprings, helwig swaybar (newer units may come with helwig), upgrade rear shocks to bilstien or koni ( shock choice subjective to ride preference) . Search the mBS and Solera forums for more thorough discussions. This is an old topic that has been well covered in the past. I have the upgrades and semi trucks have no effect, wind only with very high gusts. I consider the problem solved. Happy camping.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:33 PM   #3

Getting moved around in the wind

Thanks for the info. We are new to the forums. I will go back thru the older post and look for the information. Do you know about how long ago were the posting. We will be heading to Sarasota the end of this week. Thanks
Old 12-25-2018, 08:43 PM   #4

Read through this thread
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ht=Sumosprings
Old 12-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
I'm driving a Forester 2401W MBS pulling a Jeep Wrangler and have felt wind from trucks coming up from behind and also wind gusts but just assumed that was part of driving a motor home. I think some fellows already have provided good advice so I'll let it go at that. This December trip from Montana to AZ I did layover for a day when the forecast called for 30 to 40 mph sustained wind plus gusts ranging from 60 to 70 mph. Other than that forecast I haven't been much bothered by wind.
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #6

I have to agree with Rich M. about the bilstien shocks, they are a bit pricey , but are worth the cost, I put them on my Durango, and when it is time to replace shocks on the MH I will get the same brand. By the way when I got under MH frame to check things, they are already installed on the rig!! I found more air pressure helps a lot for sway. had 70 PSI and increased them to 80 PSI. they were actually under the specs going by the tire specs,not the nomiclature inside the MH, check your tire information on the side of the tires, go by that, not the stickers. good luck
Old 12-26-2018, 07:13 PM   #7
Junior/Senior Member

As always, a lot of good advice on this forum and on the various threads, but, to solicit opinions on the 'Moving around in the wind topic' I am ready to either add 'Hellwig' Helper Springs (product #61614) or the correct SumoSpring(s) along with new shocks (Bilstein or Koni) to the rear of my 2018 MBS, 2400R.

Probably no one has done both, on similar rigs, so really hard to compare. One thought is Helper Springs are hardened steel, therefore, would be better than the components in the rubberized/foam SumoSprings. Essentially, these are just another bump stop.

On the other hand, the SumoSprings are more expensive, and 'Look' like they would provide a better ride. Of course, more expensive is not always better.

The objective is to reduce the moving around in the wind, due to wind gusts or our beloved 18 Wheeler's.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Rogergib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:49 PM   #8

There are lots of good posts on Cheap Handling Fixes (CHF).

My solution is the cheapest and worked wonders for me:

Mfg spec on tire pressure is 92 psi. My tires are rated at 110 psi.

I increased my tire pressure to 98 psi.

90% of truck-passing sway vanashed.

The squirly front end disappeared completely.

Lesson: verify your tires are "properly" inflated; as an option, increase your tire psi to something greater than the specifications call for, up to and including your individual tire rating. If that doesn't work, consider other options in this Forum.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:38 PM   #9
2012 Solera

Our 2012 Solera (MBS) -
I removed the Helwig sway bar I had installed after one of the brackets broke. Reinstalled the original Mercedes sway bar.
I run 80 psi in a he rear tires and 75 psi in the fronts. Dealer recommended. Have switched to Michelin tires. I believe the tire change did more to help handling than did the Helwig.
I tend to run heavily loaded. Full fresh water and propane when starting a trip - often camp without hookups. Try to drain black and gray when I refill fresh - so usually 36 gallons of tank water (including Water Heater). 110 pound Golden Retreiver; 400+ pounds of wife and me; 75 pound inflatable kayak; tools; 3 gallons spare DEF; spare ESP oil; tire chains; food; clothing; etc. I believe the motor home handles better loaded.

Finally, after just driving it many (over 90K) miles, we’ve, I’m sure, adjusted to it. My perception- truck passing sway is minimal; does decent in strong cross winds.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:53 PM   #10

Getting moved around in the wind.

I would like to thank all the people that responded. The information has been very helpful, I went back and read all the threads. We are taking off in the morning, leaving Michigan and heading to Florida and will be towing our Jeep Cherokee. Thanks again.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:59 PM   #11

if your close on the weight limit or over it, adding leaf springs will definitely make a huge difference. One of my Service vans was an e-450, with big box on it, (shop on wheels), with all my tools and inventory in it, I was well over the weight limit for the chassis, we added 2 leafs on each side, what a huge difference!!!! again good luck
Old 12-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #12

i know that some people want to shoot me for this but:
I drove a total of 60000 miles combined with my 2015 Solera 24R (no Hellwig) and Forester 2400W. The Forester did not come with the Hellwig swaybar, so I installed it myself - and to my surprise there is hardly any difference with or without. But with both motorhomes I drive with 80psi on all 6 - and I think it is driving great!
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #13
Skh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Our 2012 Solera (MBS) -
I removed the Helwig sway bar I had installed after one of the brackets broke. Reinstalled the original Mercedes sway bar.
I run 80 psi in a he rear tires and 75 psi in the fronts. Dealer recommended. Have switched to Michelin tires. I believe the tire change did more to help handling than did the Helwig.
I tend to run heavily loaded. Full fresh water and propane when starting a trip - often camp without hookups. Try to drain black and gray when I refill fresh - so usually 36 gallons of tank water (including Water Heater). 110 pound Golden Retreiver; 400+ pounds of wife and me; 75 pound inflatable kayak; tools; 3 gallons spare DEF; spare ESP oil; tire chains; food; clothing; etc. I believe the motor home handles better loaded.

Finally, after just driving it many (over 90K) miles, we’ve, I’m sure, adjusted to it. My perception- truck passing sway is minimal; does decent in strong cross winds.
I am curious how you let your golden retriever ride? I will be alone with a young now 80 lb German Shepherd. She kennels well but not really a place for it.
Skh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:15 AM   #14
Skh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skh View Post
I am curious how you let your golden retriever ride? I will be alone with a young now 80 lb German Shepherd. She kennels well but not really a place for it.
I didn't mean to hijack this post. I just brought a 2019 i3 home from Elkhart and have sumo springs ordered. Suspension connection still had a 10% discount code last week.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skh View Post

My 2 dogs sit on the dinette seating with seatbelts on, hooked thru their harnesses. Works well.
diane1433r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #16
Skh

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane1433r View Post
My 2 dogs sit on the dinette seating with seatbelts on, hooked thru their harnesses. Works well.
That's a good idea. I'd thought about doing something with the dinette.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:20 PM   #17

Getting moved around in the wind

When we left Michigan the weather was okay, but when we got to Cincinnati it was raining and we went further south the wind was starting to blow pretty good, we were under a wind advisory and it was blowing us around pretty good and with the semi’s going really fast it was time to stop for the night in Brea Kentucky. We made it to Florida the next night with no issues, but we did increase the tire pressure to 80psi all the way around. When we get back to Michigan I am going to change the shocks 1st and see if that helps. We had a Trendsetter motor home on a Kenworth chassis and we installed Timbren rubber bumpers and they didn’t help as much as installing heavy duty shocks. Will let you know when we make the change, 1 change at a time. We travel with 2 dogs, Bella is 55 lbs and rides between the front seats on the floor in her bed and Whiskeyrose is 15lbs and rides on my wife’s lap or in her bed on the floor at my wife’s feet. They are family and go everywhere we go, they are great travelers.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:30 AM   #18
Junior/Senior Member

MBS getting moved around in the wind

Thanks to everyone with their replies on their personal solutions on this moving around in the wind subject!

In doing additional research, it appears that all, or at least most solutions are successful for the folks that have installed them.

It is of course great to have choices (SumoSprings, Super Springs, Helper Springs ((above and below the factory Springs)) and even adding a leaf to the factory Springs) so I will choose a solution and see how it works for me.

Needless to say, the most common comment is to have the correct tire inflation, and as one person responded, they are just fine without adding anything additional, except for proper tire inflation.

I will also be replacing the rear factory shocks with Fox or Bilstein or Koni.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 01-02-2019, 06:32 AM   #19

" they are just fine without adding anything additional, except for proper tire inflation."

Before experimenting with inflation pressures a good "4 wheel" alignment at a modern truck shop may solve steering problems , with out creating a buck board ride.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane1433r View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1391.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	193960

We do the same, works for us.
vettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote