Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2016, 05:04 AM   #1

MBS service costs

Just wanted to get an idea of what people pay for their Service A and Service B

Just did my service A- was $315 (included oil and filter and shop supplies)

Quote for Service B (3 hrs including oil and filter) not including fuel filter, tranny oil or anything else $480. O yea that integrated fuel filter is $160

I bet these is variation across north america.

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #2

Oil change in quite simple on the Sprinter. Good filter and spec oil on sale, will run you about $85 bucks and should take you about 45 minutes. Things to consider, Sprinter should be on level ground, either measure the quantity of oil removed, or add back 11+ qts, let settle for a bit and slowly add in the remaining oil till reading correct on dip stick.

Fuel filter is a little more involved but definately doable by your avg skilled backyard mechanic. You will need to buy a special clamp remover to detach the fuel lines. Suggest you read up on that procedure on the Sprinter forum. Good source of information. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Oil change in quite simple on the Sprinter. Good filter and spec oil on sale, will run you about $85 bucks and should take you about 45 minutes. Things to consider, Sprinter should be on level ground, either measure the quantity of oil removed, or add back 11+ qts, let settle for a bit and slowly add in the remaining oil till reading correct on dip stick.

Fuel filter is a little more involved but definately doable by your avg skilled backyard mechanic. You will need to buy a special clamp remover to detach the fuel lines. Suggest you read up on that procedure on the Sprinter forum. Good source of information. Just sayin'
I don't think my oil catch basin will hold 11 qts. Might have to upgrade to avoid an overflow on the driveway! Sad to hear the fuel filter is tricky. I'll have to search the Sprinter forum to see what that involves. My 2014 Grand Cherokee has the 3 liter diesel, and the dual fuel filters are a cinch to replace. They should all be designed that way.

2016 Sunseeker MBS 2400R + Diesel Gen
2014 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Flat Tow Equipment
SMI Stay-In-Play Brake Controller
ericlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #4

Oil Change only (no fuel filter) $303.56 at my local Mercedes & Sprinter dealership.
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlakin View Post
I don't think my oil catch basin will hold 11 qts. Might have to upgrade to avoid an overflow on the driveway! Sad to hear the fuel filter is tricky. I'll have to search the Sprinter forum to see what that involves. My 2014 Grand Cherokee has the 3 liter diesel, and the dual fuel filters are a cinch to replace. They should all be designed that way.
Agreed.. and you should be able to easily drain off water.

I see you have the Diesel Genny- I have the LP how do you like it and any regrets?

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:34 AM   #6

Not terrible, other than the clamps!

Quote:
The fuel filter sits in the valley of the engine. It requires removal of the air filter assembly and associated hoses all the way back to the turbocharger. The clamps used on the fuel hoses to the filter are supposedly reusable "clic" type and even though I bought the specific pliers for removal/installation - I ended up destroying the clamps and had to replace. The clic piers worked fine for installation. Some people remove the clic clamps and then purchase worm gear screw type clamps to replace them.

The clic pliers are not cheap ($50-120) depending on the model you buy, the filter is expensive (around $100), but now that I have done this once - I would definitely do it again. I do have an MB mechanic in my neighborhood that provided some advice when I struggled with the turbo hose removal.

I would say this job requires average to above average DIY skill to complete properly. I agree with your comment that this job should not be as involved as it is.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #7

Here you go, clamps (various prices) and tool $25 bucks which is decent quality . Clic Clamps | eBay Also, check your local Freightliner dealer (vin# in hand) for the fuel filter, much cheaper and it is a MB filter. Just sayin'

Also, never tried this but; the fuel filter has a bleeder circuit, you will see the discharge tube running off to the left side facing the motor from the filter. I would assume that if the WIF (water in filter) dash light illuminates, you can try and go through a purge sequence by dumping the fuel in the filter using the bleeder circuit. In any event, you should bleed the air out of the new filter, using this circuit, after swap out.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:54 PM   #8

Quote:
You could invest in a suction oil extractor to remove a good bit of the old oil through the dipstick tube, then drain the rest into your drain pan in the normal way--if your pan isn't big enough to hold 11 qts. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by khocke View Post
Oil Change only (no fuel filter) $303.56 at my local Mercedes & Sprinter dealership.
in Boise, ID my bill last June was: $308.45

but that included a lot of free inspection (so it says) plus:
AXLE U BOLTS ADJUSTED AND RETORQUED, RECOMMENDED ONCE IN LIFETIME OF VEHICLE BY MANUFACTURER $58.50

they made no comment about the Hellwig And Sumo I had installed elsewhere in March
Old 03-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #10

[QUOTE=ericlakin;1138279]I don't think my oil catch basin will hold 11 qts. Might have to upgrade to avoid an overflow on the driveway! Sad to hear the fuel filter is tricky. I'll have to search the Sprinter forum to see what that involves. My 2014 Grand Cherokee has the 3 liter diesel, and the dual fuel filters are a cinch to replace. They should all be designed that way.[/QUOTE

Yes, the oil filter can be tricky & I wouldn't recommend an aftermarket filter either. I found out the hard way when a RV service dealer, not MBZ dealer, offered to do my first service. The tech ( they said it was their BEST tech), put an aftermarket filter in wrong. It ended up blowing all the oil all over my engine, the undercarriage, all four sides and the starter. Eight hrs. waiting on the side of hwy. For a big tow truck to tow me 160 mi. to the closest Mercedes dealer. Then being told my engine was shot (one year new Solera.) I had to wait for a new engine to come from Germany. I lost out on my long planned vacation. It cost the RV dealership over $20,000.00 for their bad oil change.
Just Sayin'-Please be careful when changing your oil! I will only use a MBZ dealer from now on.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
Agreed.. and you should be able to easily drain off water.

I see you have the Diesel Genny- I have the LP how do you like it and any regrets?

No regrets. I'm very happy with it. I wish it wasn't under the bed because I don't think we could sleep with it running, but we haven't had to try yet. Although the specs say the LP version isn't any quieter. I love not worrying about propane. It sips diesel.

2014 Honda CRV
Old 03-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #12

Same here. Now that we swapped out the current hungry Dometic air conditioner for the larger Atwood heat pump, the generator is much happier and runs more of the other loads without complaining/shutting down.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:12 AM   #13

Napa has Mobil 1 0w30 ESP X1 MB approved 229.52 on sale ($5.99 qt).
Order through one of their stores and normally pick up the next day.
Motor Oil MOB 121218 | NAPA Auto Parts

With filter makes for less than $100.00 oil change. Still the easiest oil change I have ever done.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #14

But what about fuel filter

Great posting on the Napa sale. I may go and purchase oil just to have it on-hand for my first change. Have you done the fuel filter ? I understand that is quite involved.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
Great posting on the Napa sale. I may go and purchase oil just to have it on-hand for my first change. Have you done the fuel filter ? I understand that is quite involved.
When it goes on sale and I don't have enough for an oil change I order 3 cases. You don't even have to go to the store to order it. I call, next day maybe two, I pick it up.

I had the first fuel filter changed by the dealer. I will do the next one coming up in 10,000 miles. The new filters come with the heater and water sensor built in. I bought the clip pliers for $14.00 and I believe Kickin posted the link for them.

It is really not a big deal on the fuel filter as long as you follow the manual, which I have. You must change the compensating seal before reinstalling the turbo charger duct. Also not a big deal; just a seal that goes into the end of the tube ($25.00 part). Now take into account what I have said applies to my 2013 chassis.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
When it goes on sale and I don't have enough for an oil change I order 3 cases. You don't even have to go to the store to order it. I call, next day maybe two, I pick it up.

I had the first fuel filter changed by the dealer. I will do the next one coming up in 10,000 miles. The new filters come with the heater and water sensor built in. I bought the clip pliers for $14.00 and I believe Kickin posted the link for them.

It is really not a big deal on the fuel filter as long as you follow the manual, which I have. You must change the compensating seal before reinstalling the turbo charger duct. Also not a big deal; just a seal that goes into the end of the tube ($25.00 part). Now take into account what I have said applies to my 2013 chassis.

I gotta find which manual shows the fuel filter change. Is that one of the manuals that came with the motor home?

2014 Honda CRV
Old 03-28-2016, 05:45 AM   #17

I purchased the manuals online. They came on a dvd and cover every MB 1996 to 2013.
The books that came with the RV don't have how to info.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:47 AM   #18

BTW, the manuals are Windows based
Old 03-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #19

Recently bought oil at NAPA, 821X Mann oil filter on Amazon for 9.82 , 821/15 fuel filter(5 pin) on Ebay for 89.99 with free shipping. Some say to change the fuel filter clamps with 13mm and 15mm fuel injection clamps. Not sure about the compensating seal needing replacement.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:36 AM   #20

My understanding is that the "orange" compensating ring on the turbo inlet hose has been problematic. My 2015 has a "black" one, was in good shape and I did not replace it at the fuel filter replacement.

For me, the hardest part of the fuel filter change was the clic clamp removal (I had the pliers but couldn't get them to work) and removing the turbo inlet hose - it required a pretty strong pull. Installation was easy, though and now I'm comfortable enough to do it again. The hose goes on easily and the pliers worked fine installing the clic clamps.

Some folks dispense with the clic clamps and just use fuel injection hose clamps instead. The Sprinter forum has lots of info about this.

Tags
service