Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #1

MBS Spare Tire Removal Process

Has anyone removed their spare tire from the under-chassis storage bracket? I've studied the manual in detail and climbed under there a couple of times but have never been able to get it out. I can't complete the first step in getting the bracket to open up. I'd sure like to know how before it becomes a necessity on a very hot or cold day! Any tips?

Several videos such as this show unscrewing the bracket from above so the tire falls downward. But I can't figure where those bolts would be on an RV with a closed floor. Could the bolts be in the rear storage compartment ("basement")? We have a Forester 2401R with a large basement.

https://youtu.be/D5am-QM5RvU

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:03 PM   #2
2012 Solera

On our 2012 Solera, as I remember, I slid under the spare on my back, held up on the spare holding frame, unscrewed the two nuts on the tension bolts to the rear of the vehicle, and lowered the frame and spare - as remember, the frame is hinged toward the front of the vehicle. Wasn’t difficult to figure out or to do, once I slid under the vehicle.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:27 AM   #3

X2
Old 09-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
On our 2012 Solera, as I remember, I slid under the spare on my back, held up on the spare holding frame, unscrewed the two nuts on the tension bolts to the rear of the vehicle, and lowered the frame and spare - as remember, the frame is hinged toward the front of the vehicle. Wasn’t difficult to figure out or to do, once I slid under the vehicle.
I'd pretty much agree with this - except that I found it exceptionally difficult to get the wheel out...and even harder to get it back in again. It's quite heavy and definitely doesn't want to slide in or out of the bracket.

If I recall correctly, at least part of my problem had to do with the jacks that are installed back there...

Dave
Old 09-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
2012 Solera

No jacks on our 2012. May make a significant difference.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #6

I used the jack handle as a lever to lower and raise the tire. My unit has a slot in the tire retention frame that will accept the jack handle. This leverage allow the tire to be removed and replace with less effort. Not easy, but better than man handling the frame, with tire, by itself.
Peterowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntraveler View Post
has anyone removed their spare tire from the under-chassis storage bracket? I've studied the manual in detail and climbed under there a couple of times but have never been able to get it out. I can't complete the first step in getting the bracket to open up. I'd sure like to know how before it becomes a necessity on a very hot or cold day! Any tips?

Several videos such as this show unscrewing the bracket from above so the tire falls downward. But i can't figure where those bolts would be on an rv with a closed floor. Could the bolts be in the rear storage compartment ("basement")? We have a forester 2401r with a large basement.

https://youtu.be/d5am-qm5rvu

thanks.
does not work that easy on a dynamax. Need a swing away like the one they have for fifth wheels. I have worried about getting the spare out being old would be very hard [ call roadside and wait] could mount a spare tire carrier on a trailer hitch receiver, if you are not going to tow. The other problem is weight transfer further back.
oldwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #8

Nearly impossible

As I found out recently, you can't remove the spare tire from under our MBS equipped with Quadra Mfg (BigFoot) 4 point levelers. The cross brace between the rear levelers blocks removal of the spare tire.

It might be a similar problem with the BigFoot 2 point stabilizers.

Even without the brace, it's a tough chore.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #9

Isata3 owner. I have been thinking of removing the spare to save that weight. Do most of you carry a spare? It's not like I am going to change a dually! That's why we have roadside assistance.
NealM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealM View Post
Isata3 owner. I have been thinking of removing the spare to save that weight. Do most of you carry a spare? It's not like I am going to change a dually! That's why we have roadside assistance.
You absolutely should carry the spare. These tires aren't always easy to find and it can really spoil a trip to have to wait 1/2 day or even a day or two until tires can be brought or shipped to you. Even if you use a service that doesn't mean they stock every tire RVs need. The savings in weight would be minimal.
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:15 PM   #11

I agree. Thanks for your insight.
NealM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire