Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2017, 09:25 PM   #1

MBS Sprinter - diesel fuel stabilizer

Diesel fuel stabilizer for winter storage - yes or no?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #2

In my diesel equipment I add an anti-gel and seafoam and have never had a problem
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #3
2012 Solera

Check your owner's manual. I believe Mercedes says "no additives " but haven't checked to verify.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 AM   #4

I was in spending some time at the Ma Benze dealer. They sell a fuel stabilizer/conditioner for winter and one for summer. I asked if I can use Diesel Clean. They said yes
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:55 AM   #5

Most diesel winter additives help melt wax in the fuel so the fuel pour point is lowered and the engine can get the fuel pumped from the tank.

Necessary if you fuel a big truck in the south and drive to cold country.

Mostly useless in a Sprinter as the tiny fuel tank gets refilled so often that by time you are in the north , you will have winter fuel.

Avoid Bio junk, even only 5% and nothing is required for over winter fuel storage.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #6
Senior

Last year my MBS was stored outside from October 15 to April 15. We began a 8,000 might trip in May and I noticed my mileage dropped from 12.5 to 10.5 towing a CRV. I think something may have grown in the tank that clogged the filter and causing the increase of fuel consumption. This year I will use an additive for storage.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Most diesel winter additives help melt wax in the fuel so the fuel pour point is lowered and the engine can get the fuel pumped from the tank.

Necessary if you fuel a big truck in the south and drive to cold country.

Mostly useless in a Sprinter as the tiny fuel tank gets refilled so often that by time you are in the north , you will have winter fuel.

Avoid Bio junk, even only 5% and nothing is required for over winter fuel storage.
Totally agree with what you say as you get further north it will be blended at the pump...only thing about BIO is most times at the pumps it is not very clear as to what you are getting or the % of bio...and the attendants inside look at you like a deer in headlights when you ask them. In MN it's mandated that the pumps must be 10% bio yet very few pumps state that on the actual pump. Even in ND where they supposedly are not adding Bio, many of the pumps there state can be up to 5%, some even say 10%, yet I was assured by a delivery guy for Holiday that their pumps in ND contain no Bio...
Old 10-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #8

Hey sailski!

For a MBS, your mileage is pretty terrible... most folks who keep track are recording around 15 MPG, and 13-14 with the toad. Over 24000 miles we are getting right at 15, and 13.5 towing a Chevy Spark. Do you travel mostly at high altitudes and in the mountains? Seems to me that if the fuel filter is clogged, the Beast would display hesitation and power loss... was that the case? Did you switch out the filter at your last oil change? Also, how hard are you pushing your baby? The 3L motor is pretty sweet, but only has 185 HP pulling over 7 tons with your toad. You might want to look into getting some kind of OBD device to monitor your engine... we use a ScanGuage II.

Regarding Bio, we live in the Midwest, and the farmers have a vested interest in its use. 5% is pretty common, with states like Minnesota mandating 10%, with 20% coming soon. We have mostly driven South, West, and East, and rarely see higher than 5% (which MB say a is OK).

Happy travels!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 10-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #9
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
Hey sailski!

For a MBS, your mileage is pretty terrible... most folks who keep track are recording around 15 MPG, and 13-14 with the toad. Over 24000 miles we are getting right at 15, and 13.5 towing a Chevy Spark. Do you travel mostly at high altitudes and in the mountains? Seems to me that if the fuel filter is clogged, the Beast would display hesitation and power loss... was that the case? Did you switch out the filter at your last oil change? Also, how hard are you pushing your baby? The 3L motor is pretty sweet, but only has 185 HP pulling over 7 tons with your toad. You might want to look into getting some kind of OBD device to monitor your engine... we use a ScanGuage II.

Regarding Bio, we live in the Midwest, and the farmers have a vested interest in its use. 5% is pretty common, with states like Minnesota mandating 10%, with 20% coming soon. We have mostly driven South, West, and East, and rarely see higher than 5% (which MB say a is OK).

Happy travels!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Thanks for your response. I know my mileage is terrible. We live in Colorado at 9,000 feet so that may have something to do with it. I do use a Scan Guage and that is what I am basing my mileage at. I have a 2017 MBS 2401W with a 2016 chassis. I frequently see 15 mpg when I am not towing the dinghy. When I had the oil changed in May 2017 the dealer, Tuscon MB, did not suggest changing the fuel filter. Since I was leaking fluid from the differential, a $325 bill, I didn't press why not change the fuel filter.

We have been keeping track of fuel used but have not calculated the mileage. Last year we went to the east coast twice and this year we went to the West coast so I don't think altitude has a big effect although we have gone over mountain passes on our travels. We now have nearly 20,000 miles on the vehicle and performance is adequate. I usually drive at 65 on interstates and 60 on 2 lane roads that are not curvy. I do wish our mileage was better but wonder if the problem may be with the Scan Guage since I haven't been entering fuel refills this year.

Bob Fraser
2017 Forester MBS 2401W
Old 10-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailski View Post
Thanks for your response. I know my mileage is terrible. We live in Colorado at 9,000 feet so that may have something to do with it. I do use a Scan Guage and that is what I am basing my mileage at. I have a 2017 MBS 2401W with a 2016 chassis. I frequently see 15 mpg when I am not towing the dinghy. When I had the oil changed in May 2017 the dealer, Tuscon MB, did not suggest changing the fuel filter. Since I was leaking fluid from the differential, a $325 bill, I didn't press why not change the fuel filter.

Bob Fraser
2017 Forester MBS 2401W
That's normal mpg, especially when pulling grades. With a toad, too! It's in the sweet spot of the bell curve.
And, I should add, it's a lot better than the 9 mpg or less that you would get on a gasser.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
That's normal mpg, especially when pulling grades. With a toad, too! It's in the sweet spot of the bell curve.

And, I should add, it's a lot better than the 9 mpg or less that you would get on a gasser.

Just for yucks, do the classic “miles traveled / gallons used” calculation a few times. I bet your mileage will be better. I tried to get the ScanGuage set up for the MPG calculation, but never got it right. We have never been below 13 even pulling the toad. Keep in mind though, our toad only weighs 2300 lbs. Better mileage is one of the prime justifications for having the MB chassis.

Regarding the fuel filter, I believe MB suggest a change at their recommended oil change interval of every 20,000 miles.

Keep us posted on you situation.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 10-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #12

Talked to a diesel mechanic in MN. If storing all winter just fill with #2. If taking a mid-winter trip fill 1/2 #2 and 1/2 with #1. Diesel doesn't degrade like gasoline.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #13

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
Just for yucks, do the classic “miles traveled / gallons used” calculation a few times. I bet your mileage will be better. I tried to get the ScanGuage set up for the MPG calculation, but never got it right. We have never been below 13 even pulling the toad. Keep in mind though, our toad only weighs 2300 lbs. Better mileage is one of the prime justifications for having the MB chassis.

Regarding the fuel filter, I believe MB suggest a change at their recommended oil change interval of every 20,000 miles.

Keep us posted on you situation.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
I second Bob's note about the Scanguage II never getting as accurate as the simple calculation method. I typically see about 1.5 more mpg's using the calculation rather than rely on the Scanguage II.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:19 PM   #15
Sunseeker 2400MBW

My husband says our OBD is 20% off showing less mpg than our old fashioned calculations show. We just started towing a car so I’m curious to see how that will affect things.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #16
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
My husband says our OBD is 20% off showing less mpg than our old fashioned calculations show. We just started towing a car so I’m curious to see how that will affect things.
Thanks for letting me know I can't trust Scan Guage for mileage. I never liked that it reset every time we stopped and turned the ignition off.

Tags
diesel, fuel