Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,974
MBS Sprinter - diesel fuel stabilizer

Diesel fuel stabilizer for winter storage - yes or no?

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
2016 FR Forester 2401R
Towing 2014 Honda CR-V
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,255
In my diesel equipment I add an anti-gel and seafoam and have never had a problem
__________________

__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #3
2012 Solera
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,304
Check your owner's manual. I believe Mercedes says "no additives " but haven't checked to verify.
__________________
JLeising
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
MarsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Maritime Provinces
Posts: 239
I was in spending some time at the Ma Benze dealer. They sell a fuel stabilizer/conditioner for winter and one for summer. I asked if I can use Diesel Clean. They said yes
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:55 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 750
Most diesel winter additives help melt wax in the fuel so the fuel pour point is lowered and the engine can get the fuel pumped from the tank.

Necessary if you fuel a big truck in the south and drive to cold country.

Mostly useless in a Sprinter as the tiny fuel tank gets refilled so often that by time you are in the north , you will have winter fuel.

Avoid Bio junk, even only 5% and nothing is required for over winter fuel storage.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #6
Senior
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 206
Last year my MBS was stored outside from October 15 to April 15. We began a 8,000 might trip in May and I noticed my mileage dropped from 12.5 to 10.5 towing a CRV. I think something may have grown in the tank that clogged the filter and causing the increase of fuel consumption. This year I will use an additive for storage.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
WFD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Most diesel winter additives help melt wax in the fuel so the fuel pour point is lowered and the engine can get the fuel pumped from the tank.

Necessary if you fuel a big truck in the south and drive to cold country.

Mostly useless in a Sprinter as the tiny fuel tank gets refilled so often that by time you are in the north , you will have winter fuel.

Avoid Bio junk, even only 5% and nothing is required for over winter fuel storage.
Totally agree with what you say as you get further north it will be blended at the pump...only thing about BIO is most times at the pumps it is not very clear as to what you are getting or the % of bio...and the attendants inside look at you like a deer in headlights when you ask them. In MN it's mandated that the pumps must be 10% bio yet very few pumps state that on the actual pump. Even in ND where they supposedly are not adding Bio, many of the pumps there state can be up to 5%, some even say 10%, yet I was assured by a delivery guy for Holiday that their pumps in ND contain no Bio...
__________________
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
2016 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Rkloud9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 335
Hey sailski!

For a MBS, your mileage is pretty terrible... most folks who keep track are recording around 15 MPG, and 13-14 with the toad. Over 24000 miles we are getting right at 15, and 13.5 towing a Chevy Spark. Do you travel mostly at high altitudes and in the mountains? Seems to me that if the fuel filter is clogged, the Beast would display hesitation and power loss... was that the case? Did you switch out the filter at your last oil change? Also, how hard are you pushing your baby? The 3L motor is pretty sweet, but only has 185 HP pulling over 7 tons with your toad. You might want to look into getting some kind of OBD device to monitor your engine... we use a ScanGuage II.

Regarding Bio, we live in the Midwest, and the farmers have a vested interest in its use. 5% is pretty common, with states like Minnesota mandating 10%, with 20% coming soon. We have mostly driven South, West, and East, and rarely see higher than 5% (which MB say a is OK).

Happy travels!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
__________________
Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Rkloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #9
Senior
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
Hey sailski!

For a MBS, your mileage is pretty terrible... most folks who keep track are recording around 15 MPG, and 13-14 with the toad. Over 24000 miles we are getting right at 15, and 13.5 towing a Chevy Spark. Do you travel mostly at high altitudes and in the mountains? Seems to me that if the fuel filter is clogged, the Beast would display hesitation and power loss... was that the case? Did you switch out the filter at your last oil change? Also, how hard are you pushing your baby? The 3L motor is pretty sweet, but only has 185 HP pulling over 7 tons with your toad. You might want to look into getting some kind of OBD device to monitor your engine... we use a ScanGuage II.

Regarding Bio, we live in the Midwest, and the farmers have a vested interest in its use. 5% is pretty common, with states like Minnesota mandating 10%, with 20% coming soon. We have mostly driven South, West, and East, and rarely see higher than 5% (which MB say a is OK).

Happy travels!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Thanks for your response. I know my mileage is terrible. We live in Colorado at 9,000 feet so that may have something to do with it. I do use a Scan Guage and that is what I am basing my mileage at. I have a 2017 MBS 2401W with a 2016 chassis. I frequently see 15 mpg when I am not towing the dinghy. When I had the oil changed in May 2017 the dealer, Tuscon MB, did not suggest changing the fuel filter. Since I was leaking fluid from the differential, a $325 bill, I didn't press why not change the fuel filter.

We have been keeping track of fuel used but have not calculated the mileage. Last year we went to the east coast twice and this year we went to the West coast so I don't think altitude has a big effect although we have gone over mountain passes on our travels. We now have nearly 20,000 miles on the vehicle and performance is adequate. I usually drive at 65 on interstates and 60 on 2 lane roads that are not curvy. I do wish our mileage was better but wonder if the problem may be with the Scan Guage since I haven't been entering fuel refills this year.

Bob Fraser
2017 Forester MBS 2401W
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ozark, MO
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailski View Post
Thanks for your response. I know my mileage is terrible. We live in Colorado at 9,000 feet so that may have something to do with it. I do use a Scan Guage and that is what I am basing my mileage at. I have a 2017 MBS 2401W with a 2016 chassis. I frequently see 15 mpg when I am not towing the dinghy. When I had the oil changed in May 2017 the dealer, Tuscon MB, did not suggest changing the fuel filter. Since I was leaking fluid from the differential, a $325 bill, I didn't press why not change the fuel filter.

Bob Fraser
2017 Forester MBS 2401W
That's normal mpg, especially when pulling grades. With a toad, too! It's in the sweet spot of the bell curve.
And, I should add, it's a lot better than the 9 mpg or less that you would get on a gasser.
__________________
Mark & Susan
2016 Forester MBS 2401WS
Wrangler Toad
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Rkloud9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
That's normal mpg, especially when pulling grades. With a toad, too! It's in the sweet spot of the bell curve.

And, I should add, it's a lot better than the 9 mpg or less that you would get on a gasser.


Just for yucks, do the classic “miles traveled / gallons used” calculation a few times. I bet your mileage will be better. I tried to get the ScanGuage set up for the MPG calculation, but never got it right. We have never been below 13 even pulling the toad. Keep in mind though, our toad only weighs 2300 lbs. Better mileage is one of the prime justifications for having the MB chassis.

Regarding the fuel filter, I believe MB suggest a change at their recommended oil change interval of every 20,000 miles.

Keep us posted on you situation.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
__________________
Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Rkloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 261
Talked to a diesel mechanic in MN. If storing all winter just fill with #2. If taking a mid-winter trip fill 1/2 #2 and 1/2 with #1. Diesel doesn't degrade like gasoline.
__________________
2016 Sunseeker MBS W
2010 Honda CRV- SMI Stay In Play Duo
Previous-5th wheel, Class C, tent trailer, tent
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,974
Thanks for all the responses.
__________________
2016 FR Forester 2401R
Towing 2014 Honda CR-V
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
Just for yucks, do the classic “miles traveled / gallons used” calculation a few times. I bet your mileage will be better. I tried to get the ScanGuage set up for the MPG calculation, but never got it right. We have never been below 13 even pulling the toad. Keep in mind though, our toad only weighs 2300 lbs. Better mileage is one of the prime justifications for having the MB chassis.

Regarding the fuel filter, I believe MB suggest a change at their recommended oil change interval of every 20,000 miles.

Keep us posted on you situation.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
I second Bob's note about the Scanguage II never getting as accurate as the simple calculation method. I typically see about 1.5 more mpg's using the calculation rather than rely on the Scanguage II.
__________________
2016 MBS 2401w
Santos1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:19 PM   #15
Sunseeker 2400MBW
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Everywhere, USA
Posts: 487
My husband says our OBD is 20% off showing less mpg than our old fashioned calculations show. We just started towing a car so I’m curious to see how that will affect things.
__________________
Full time 2016 Sunseeker 2400WS towing a 2018 Subaru Forester.
Nancyc7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #16
Senior
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
My husband says our OBD is 20% off showing less mpg than our old fashioned calculations show. We just started towing a car so I’m curious to see how that will affect things.
Thanks for letting me know I can't trust Scan Guage for mileage. I never liked that it reset every time we stopped and turned the ignition off.
__________________

sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel, fuel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 PM.


×