Old 12-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #1

MBS Tow capacity

I was looking through YouTube the other day and ran across a young couple talking about setting up and connecting a 4DR Jeep Wrangler to their (new) MBS rig - a Winnebago View, 24' unit. He stated that the tow capacity was 5000 pound. I was surprised at that as I have a 2017 MBS and the stated tow capacity is 4000 pounds, and my understanding was that ALL MBS units were 4000 pounds rated for towing. I took a look at the spec sheet on the view, and it did say 5000 pounds. What is the difference in the Winnebago View as compared to all other MBS units that it can tow 5000 vs everyone else 4000 pounds?? Just real curious as to the answer here.

Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:48 PM   #2
Lacey's Spring, AL

are you saying that the manufacturer is 'stating' a certain maximum towing weight, or are you looking at the HITCH manufacturer's rated tow weight?

many manufacturers may take the dry weight + the assumed weight of average fluids, fuel, food, clothes, and passengers and subtract that from the Chassis' GCWR, giving you the maximum amount the chassis is designed to tow, as long as it does not exceed the HITCH's own weight rating. Generally, the hitch is oversized, since you would never want the chassis to be able to handle MORE than the hitch does. This, though, adds to the confusion of Hitch weight ratings as it, in itself, is NOT the weight that the Chassis is designed to handle safely, only the weight that the HITCH is designed to handle, maximum wise.

The mistake many of us make is to 'assume' that just because our coach comes with a 5,000lb rated hitch, or 8,000, or 10,000, or 15,000, or 20,000, that we can safely tow that much - NO. That is just the hitch manufacturers maximum weight rating. The hitch manufacturer knows nothing of 'what' RV manufacturer is going to buy it, or vehicle manufacturer, or aftermarket installer... it is the maximum it is designed to handle, without regards to where it is going to be installed.
Therefore, it is up to the owner of the RV, or any other vehicle, to calculate the correct weight that they can safely tow.

Some diesel pusher coaches, similar to mine, but made by a different manufacturer, have a 5,000lb rated hitch. Their coach is almost identical to mine in chassis GVWR and GCWR, yet my coach comes with a 10,000lb hitch. Can I tow 10,000lbs?? NO! I can actually tow LESS than 5,000lbs.
A 10,000lb rated hitch 'looks' good, but it actually means very little to the actual weight I can tow.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
are you saying that the manufacturer is 'stating' a certain maximum towing weight, or are you looking at the HITCH manufacturer's rated tow weight?

many manufacturers may take the dry weight + the assumed weight of average fluids, fuel, food, clothes, and passengers and subtract that from the Chassis' GCWR, giving you the maximum amount the chassis is designed to tow, as long as it does not exceed the HITCH's own weight rating. Generally, the hitch is oversized, since you would never want the chassis to be able to handle MORE than the hitch does. This, though, adds to the confusion of Hitch weight ratings as it, in itself, is NOT the weight that the Chassis is designed to handle safely, only the weight that the HITCH is designed to handle, maximum wise.

The mistake many of us make is to 'assume' that just because our coach comes with a 5,000lb rated hitch, or 8,000, or 10,000, or 15,000, or 20,000, that we can safely tow that much - NO. That is just the hitch manufacturers maximum weight rating. The hitch manufacturer knows nothing of 'what' RV manufacturer is going to buy it, or vehicle manufacturer, or aftermarket installer... it is the maximum it is designed to handle, without regards to where it is going to be installed.
Therefore, it is up to the owner of the RV, or any other vehicle, to calculate the correct weight that they can safely tow.

Some diesel pusher coaches, similar to mine, but made by a different manufacturer, have a 5,000lb rated hitch. Their coach is almost identical to mine in chassis GVWR and GCWR, yet my coach comes with a 10,000lb hitch. Can I tow 10,000lbs?? NO! I can actually tow LESS than 5,000lbs.
A 10,000lb rated hitch 'looks' good, but it actually means very little to the actual weight I can tow.
I do not disagree with you at all about actual tow rate vs rated hitch weight. Maybe it is all in the "wording" used in spec sheets that can cause confusion. I have put a link here to a 2017 MBS View where it clearly states a tow rating of 5000 pounds. In my opinion, this is wrong, will lead to driveline problems, and then a warranty issue that will end up being out of the owners' pocket when the bill comes due. Here is the link: https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2017-...an-24v-tr32994
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
Old 12-20-2018, 10:40 PM   #4

One problem with your link to the specifications is that they are posted by an RV retailer...not by Winnebago.

The actual 2017 Winnebago View specs are available here:
https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...specifications
As mentioned previously, the 5,000 lb rating is the hitch rating, not the tow rating. The GVWR (11,030) and the GCWR (15,250) are, I think, identical to the FR weight ratings ... or maybe different by no more than a few pounds.

The Winnebago spec sheet also includes the following footnote, which pretty much says it all...

Quote:
Actual towing capacity is dependent on your particular loading and towing circumstances which includes the GVWR, GAWR, and GCWR, as well as adequate trailer brakes. Please refer to the Operator's Manual of your vehicle for further towing information.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #5

I saw the Winnebago specific spec sheet earlier and I think this leads to the confusion some people may have the: tow weights. I agree that a person sees 5000 pound drawbar and they assume that is how much they can tow. Apparently the dealers may not explain this particular very well. I would bet the extra 1000 towing pounds are going to create some problems for those towing a 5000 pound toad.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:12 AM   #6

The Sprinter has a tow capacity of up to 5000 lbs BUT, anything over 4200lbs has to be subtracted from the coach OCCC. So if you are towing 5k lbs and your OCCC is 1100 lbs, that reduces your OCCC down to 300lbs which does not work too well. Towing 5k lbs will also likely put you over the GCWR.

I have heard that many Sprinters come with only a 3500 lb hitch so I would check with the factory to see which one you have.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #7

Tongue weight

Hi all,
What kind of tongue weight are you getting with a 14' enclosed trailer. I am looking at a Mission 14' (7' tall inside) trailer weighing 1600lbs empty with about 1500-2000 lbs in it. I know I can shift the weight inside to modify the tongue weight, however, the MBS states 350lb tongue limit. Anybody pushing more than that? I would probably use a easy lift system. Thoughts?
Ragtimeplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
The Sprinter has a tow capacity of up to 5000 lbs BUT, anything over 4200lbs has to be subtracted from the coach OCCC. So if you are towing 5k lbs and your OCCC is 1100 lbs, that reduces your OCCC down to 300lbs which does not work too well. Towing 5k lbs will also likely put you over the GCWR.

I have heard that many Sprinters come with only a 3500 lb hitch so I would check with the factory to see which one you have.
All Forest River MBS RV's come with 5000lb hitches, but are limited to 4200lbs tow .
Old 04-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #9

Tongue weight

Was more interested in the tongue weight issues; if anybody hauled a 3500# 14' trailer behind an MBS.
Ragtimeplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:58 AM   #10

"if anybody hauled a 3500# 14' trailer behind"

Should not be a problem 10% of trailer weight is usually on ball to stabilize the tow.

2 bathroom scales and a 2x4 between will give a reasonable weight on tongue.

FFred is offline   Reply With Quote