Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 11:49 PM   #1

MBS Towing Performance?

the 2401x MBS has a towing capacity of 4200 pounds. What has your experience been towing? Not so much asking about MPG, but general performance (ability to comfortably travel down the road...up hill, down hill and generally at highway travel speeds (55-65 mph) and 'handling'.

I have much experience from towing my race car all over Baja and the West....just wondering what my 'real world' experience expectations should be?
Beach Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:04 AM   #2

I tow a rubicon jeep at 4000lb. Tows great, no problem doing California speed limits on flat or mild hills. On steep grades , slows to 45-50. Towed jeep from San Diego to Oregon and back, over grapevine, and mountains between Oregon and Cali. Tow it regularly to mountains east of San Diego since diesel 1.40 a gallon less than regular. Mercedes does great. We run with holding tanks empty , a little fresh water and 2 yellow labs. Originally plan was to have wife drive jeep over passes, but Mercedes does ok on the grades.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:35 AM   #3

I tow a 3100 lb Malibu at 65 MPH without any problems. Pulled it through Yellowstone and Rushmore area with some steep grades. Would slow to 50 on the climb, but down shifting allowed the speed to recover most of the time. If I need to increase speed for passing ( or sustained higher speed) no problem. The little diesel really does a good job. Towing has had no negative affects on handling.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #4

This is good to know. I have a Prism MBS and the rating is 3500/500. May want to pull a utility trailer with the 2 rides and some storage. Or may put a hitch rack on and put 1 bike on it. the DH's scooter weighs about 450lbs

I agree this is a good little chassis.. I am averaging 20-21mpg with a full FW tank and nearly empty holding tanks. I have a feeling the little bit extra weight of a trailer should not affect the mileage and performance
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #5

We are thinking about a 3200#ish Jeep (either Cherokee or Wrangler)...so I am feeling much better about this.

MarsMan....your mpg is the largest I have read or heard of on the MBS....you are not traveling downhill both ways are you?
Old 07-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #6

The lightest new wrangler I could find was a 2 door sport soft top at around 3700.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
I tow a rubicon jeep at 4000lb...We run with holding tanks empty , a little fresh water and 2 yellow labs.

"LIKE"

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bums View Post
We are thinking about a 3200#ish Jeep (either Cherokee or Wrangler)...so I am feeling much better about this.

MarsMan....your mpg is the largest I have read or heard of on the MBS....you are not traveling downhill both ways are you?
LoL at BeachBums. always downhill

that mpg is imperial I think in US Gallons it is approx 17-18MPG

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:36 PM   #9

I am towing my Smart Car, which is 2315 lbs. on a "Open Road Trailer" (single axle) that is 1,500 lbs. I do 65 mph on the highway and usually get about 15-17 mpg on flat terrain no wind (empty tanks). If it is hilly with some head winds then I might see 13 mpg. Since I have installed the Hellwig Sway Bar the handling has improved "Greatly!" As the engine breaks in I hope to get 20 mpg or over. You should have no problems with your towing! "Happy Travels"
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:43 PM   #10

For those of you flat towing with your MBS: What break assist system are you using? Best price/service recommendation?

Currently leaning towards an older jeep product as universally no one I have conversed with has suggested any problems.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #11

The 2013 and above have no steering lock. Jeeps really hold their value and the newer ones have the 286 hp pentistar engine which is fantastic. Newer jeeps are much more cAr like. We bought the rubicon because I'm not a jeep builder, looked nice right off the lot. We use the blue ox system to tow, but the braking system is permanently installed on jeep, completely transparent. Also have an additional electric brake booster to keep brakes charged. Stops better towing than not.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1438300468.456876.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	84594
Here is how it's hooked up

Old 07-31-2015, 09:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Attachment 84594
Here is how it's hooked up

SanDiegoDoug: Would you be willing to share what the total cost was for the complete set up? Where I am somewhat mechanically minded, time is not on my side related to our first extended trip.

We live up in Manhattan Beach but as a youngster I was raised in Coronado...
Old 07-31-2015, 10:44 AM   #14

We paid around 3500. My wife wanted the best system possible and we didn't want to see it in the jeep when not towing since my wife loves driving our little ruby around when we don't camp. We actually bought jeep in Huntington Beach , but they would not install system. I'm sure I could have put in system but wife wanted a professional to do it, since our safety was at hand.
We love beach camping and Doheny is one of our favorites when we can get a reservation
Old 07-31-2015, 11:07 AM   #15

Quote:
We love beach camping and Doheny is one of our favorites when we can get a reservation

Growing up in SoCal we camped at Doheny every summer in the 70's. It's probably changed a bit in 40 years. Hopefully not too much!

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing