Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2018, 11:31 PM   #1

MBZ Sprinter A/C

Greeting fellow MBS owners, I have experienced A/C problems on two separate occasions a year apart. After driving in hot conditions, 95°+ to 104°the A/C system stops working after 7 or 8 hours. Regardless of fan speed airflow out the vents is minimal at all speed settings and no cooling. I shut the system down and restart 15 minutes later and all is well. Is this normal? Has anyone had the same or similar problem? Could this be a recall issue? My coach is a 2016 2401 R Forester with a 2015 chassis. Any help or ideas is appreciated. We usually don't do long days and this has happened on both unusually long drives in high heat.
myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Had the same symptoms. Mercedes seemed to know what to do - believe they said they replaced a resistor.
My impression is the evaporator was icing up under certain climatic conditions, inhibiting air flow. Shutting it off for 15minutes allowed the ice to melt, and the AC then worked normally again - until the ice built back up. I think the resistor in question effects the calibration of the evap temperature detection circuit. Seemed to solve the problem - though since the repair my impression is the air coming out is somewhat less cold than it used to be.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #3

It's a Sprinter thing. The evaporator in the dash will ice up and block airflow. Usually after hours of driving and usually if I set the temp to 60 degrees . I have been setting the cabin temps higher , 68 to 70 and using higher fan rate when cabin warm. Hasn't iced up again.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #4

Don't run the system with the temp turned all the way to the coldest setting. Run it in the 10 o'clock position, around 68 degrees, and it won't freeze up. The system does a great job of cooling the entire rig at that setting.
I have had two different MB rigs and they both did the same thing when I tried to max it to the coldest setting.
Back it off and you will be OK.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:34 PM   #5

Awesome info here, just had this same issue and was worried as we were sweating to death. Restarting after 15 minutes worked out great.

I was running the AC on re-circ and thought that was creating the issue as the system kept auto switching back to outside air, maybe it new more than I did/do.
baranski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:36 AM   #6
2012 Solera

Re-circulate “times out” after a while on mine. Think it is normal.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post

Maybe that is what's happening on mine too, kinda weird just the same.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Using the re-circulate with the AC on defeats the purpose. You want to draw out the moisture, not re-circulate it in the cab.
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:18 AM   #9

Thank you everyone for the input and information. Put me in panic mode when it first happened. I'll keep the temp up and
we should be fine. Talked to my MBZ service advisor and he confirms this too. Heading across the Mojave and points east soon and it's good to know all is well with the A/C.
myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote