Old 07-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #1

Mice

Anyone with an MBS who can give me advice on where mice are gaining entry to my Solera 24S? I've had four now, all trapped inside in the area below the refrigerator/furnace above the rear passenger dual wheels. I'd close off the entry if so knew where they were getting into the rig. Thank you!!

CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #2

I'm not sure where your mice access is but it does not take much room for them to get in. I have heard of a product called "Fresh Cab". Look it up and do your own research. Several co workers use it in their TTs and they say it keeps the mice from coming in. Good luck.

Troy, Josie and our 2 K9 co-pilots Breck and Maggie
USN 86-92
Hugeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
2012 Solera

On our 2012, I found (shortly after purchase) I could "see light" from inside the MH with the slideout closed looking down at the back edge of the slideout (just in front of the bathroom sink). I contacted the dealer, who referred me to FR, who said "no seal at the bottom exterior of the slideout is normal". Gave up and bought some foam stick-on seal (1/2 inch thick by 1 inch wide, as I remember) and stuck along the lower edge of the MH body where the slideout would contact it when closed. Seemed to do the job for us.

I've also read on the forum here of others finding openings where wires and plumbing enter the MH from below. FR seemed to do quite a job on ours with some type of spray foam on these holes.

Finally, when in the storage yard, I spray around the MH with ammonia. Others have reported using mothballs in and around the vehicle, and other "rodent discouraging" approaches.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #4

Thanks for your responses. I can see where they could get in the slides, but that's not where they're entering. They get in someplace above the passenger dual wheels. I do use peppermint oil, and that seems to keep them away. But I want to close their entry.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #5

You might check the hose entrance from the fresh water tank, I had a problem there awhile back and had to seal it. Also check behind the wall of the main storage area. There is also a small opening in the utility compartment on the back wall.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #6

When I picked up our new 24R in January last year and took it to Florida, it took 2 days before we had our first furry visitor. I subsequently found 6 openings large enough to get into the water storage and plumbing areas. I used interior light and a dark night to find openings below and use pest control expanding foam to block them. We were pest free till last week when I found some chewed paper towel under the sink outside the bathroom and kitchen sink. Boo. I'll be at the search again later next week. Some of the openings were as large as my fist and needed wire mesh to bind the foam to. You'll be shocked when you.go searching.
backdoctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharSolera View Post
Thanks for your responses. I can see where they could get in the slides, but that's not where they're entering. They get in someplace above the passenger dual wheels. I do use peppermint oil, and that seems to keep them away. But I want to close their entry.
That area of entry and a "fix" was discussed in a separate thread some time back. I recall in the S model, if you open up the aft sewer /hose door and look where the hoses enter the unit, the thought and suggestion was to pack fine steel wool at that entry point. Like I said, a much more detailed discussion was had in that previous thread.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:39 AM   #8

Thanks, everyone. Ill look for the old post. They're getting in off the rear passenger dual wheels. I'll get a bright light, some mesh and spray foam and begin looking for entry points.