Old 03-13-2016, 11:20 PM   #21

Thought I'd try it one more time while steaks were on the BBQ.

Inserted key and turned to position 2, momentarily cycled the M button and the DEF level showed. Turned off ignition. Turned ignition back on to position 2, momentarily cycled the M button and the clock adjust function was active.

The rib eyes were great!

Old 03-13-2016, 11:52 PM   #22

We love Rib Eyes. Just had some great fried chicken down here in Rocky Point at Satisfied Frog. Can't wait to get back home to figure this out

Old 03-14-2016, 12:26 AM   #23

Bob are you in Rocky Point Mexico? Would like feedback for that destination.

Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
Tow 6X12 Enclosed
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #24

Yes we are in Rocky Point Mexico (Puerto Penasco Son. Mex)
Wife and I have been coming here since high school (mid 70's). Started at my sister's then boyfriend's trailer, graduated to RVing for years on the beach and in a couple of parks. Bought this house 15 years ago and have knocked most of it down to remodel. Just a 4 hour drive from Phoenix. Very safe down here despite what the media says. Lots of snow birds from the states and Canada in the the RV parks. Lots of good places to eat and drink.We take our dogs for a RZR ride and swim every morning and evening when we're down here.

***statement to stay on topic...
I'm sure you can buy DEF down here because there are a lot of late model local diesels down here.I don't need it because I drive my F150 down
Old 03-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #25

DEF issues

Glad to know there is a way to find the DEF level. MB dealer did not know that! Arrowhead MB Dirt Bob!! One thing I did find out was you should not top off the DEF. Only fill when indicator indicates the need. I topped off before making trip from Wickenburg AZ to LA, 650 miles or so and on the way back started getting messages that I had 10 starts left etc. MB dealer had to reset the computer. Grrrrrrr
2015 21 States 95 nights
2016 3 nights workin on it!
O2TRVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2TRVL View Post
Glad to know there is a way to find the DEF level. MB dealer did not know that! Arrowhead MB Dirt Bob!! One thing I did find out was you should not top off the DEF. Only fill when indicator indicates the need. I topped off before making trip from Wickenburg AZ to LA, 650 miles or so and on the way back started getting messages that I had 10 starts left etc. MB dealer had to reset the computer. Grrrrrrr
It has been noted elsewhere that "topping off" the DEF results in old DEF being kept on for a long time. Say you start with 100% new DEF, when 1/2 empty you top if off, you now have 50% "old" DEF; do it again, you now have 25% "old" DEF, etc. While DEF lasts well at room temp or lower, at hot temps it does not and that includes the temp at the DEF tank. It may be better to run it down to where it asks to be filled, then fill it.

Details on the shelf life at hot temps are at the link.

DEF: Wait for Warning or Keep it Full? [Archive] - Sprinter-Forum
Old 03-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #27

I was told by the dealer that you are better to keep it topped off but every 5th fill up it should definitly be checked.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #28

I top off prior to each trip. 29,000 miles so far without any problems. Carry a container in my towed should I need to add on a long trip.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rari View Post
I was told by the dealer that you are better to keep it topped off but every 5th fill up it should definitly be checked.

Good info but this is folk wisdom. In what way is it "better"? Really, I would like to know how it is better than waiting for the alert light then refilling? I have outlined how it can be worse. Clearly we don't want to hit the countdown warning or ever run out.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 03-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #30

I don't think it matters in any case. The normal MBS DEF tank holds approx twice what our chassis hold. Those tanks get filled at 10,000 mile intervals.
The DEF is injected after the particulate filter and before the catalyst. If it is old fluid you might get higher emissions, (not a good thing) but not the end of the world. That's just me.