Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #1

Question Monitoring DEF consumption

First, I wanted to thank everyone for being so open & sharing with their ideas & knowledge on this forum. We’re brand new to RVing, and reading this forum regularly has been a critical part of making our 1st trip as successful & pain-free as it’s been. We’re continuing to learn everyday as we put the machine thru its paces, and you’ve been so helpful … thanx!
But I do now have a question concerning monitoring DEF level in my 2401S MBS. Looking in the engine compartment, there doesn’t appear to be any “this is how much ya got” indications on the filler spout or tank underneath. In 2016 Sprinter ops manual, it says there is a yellow DEF indicator light that illuminates on the dash when the level drops below 1.5 US gallons (pg. 203). On pg. 204 there’s another warning message for when the DEF level drops below 0.8 US gallons. The description for this warning message goes on to say “… the remaining DEF supply will last for approx. 1200 miles.”
So … on the surface it appears that the only DEF supply level indicator is these dashboard warning messages. Additionally, based on the info provided in the description of the 2nd message, I think I could assume that when the 1st I probably have about 2,000 miles to deal with this issue. But we know what happens when we ASS U ME, so I thought I’d ask the smart peeps here if I’ve got this straight:
- DEF level only displayed (i.e., checkable) thru warning indicator lights?
- When 1st message appears, I’d still have plenty of miles left to refill (i.e., not an emergency stop)?
And thanx again for being such a friendly & supportive group!
the1murphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #2

You are correct. I have a 2013 s and carry the def solution. The box fits perfectly in the rear corner of the large compartment . Seems like a fill lasts about 3k miles.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #3
7 Year Class A RV'er

Good morning! I definitely can't claim to be an expert on the subject, but here, for whatever it's worth, is what I've read and/or experienced. Our coach has a Cummins 340 HP, so not sure how it compares to your coach, but the mileages you listed struck me as a little strange. Not saying they're wrong, just didn't seem right for what I would expect. The rule of thumb that seems to go around on the forum is that DEF usage is usually about 2% of your fuel usage. In other words, 100 gal of fuel burned equals 2 gal of DEF consumed. Some coaches run a little more, some a little less, but it's a good measuring stick. The warning for 1,200 miles left using 0.8 gal of DEF just seems off to me based on that; 0.8 gal would be 2% of 40 gal, which would mean the indication is you're getting 30 mpg. Does that sound right for your coach? Here's what I would suggest: DEF has a shelf life of about a year (more depending on temperature). You can get a 2.5 gal jug of it at Walmart (store brand) for about $8.75. That 2.5 gal, based on the 2% figure, would carry you for 125 gal of fuel. You can use your mpg against that 125 gal to see what your distance should be until you can add the new jug and be full again. If you're getting 12 mpg, that would be about 1,500 miles of driving. I do know ABSOLUTELY you do not want to run out of DEF. If you do, the engine shuts down and won't restart until a tech comes out and resets the computer - not good.

Hope that helps a bit. As I said, not an expert, so I'm sure someone on here will pop up and tell me I'm wrong somewhere. Good luck!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #4
2012 Solera

On our 2012 "S", In have experienced (multiple measurements) about 1900 miles per gallon of DEF. No other indicator than the dash warning lights. At first dash warning light, typically at 4300 miles from last DEF fill, the tank will take about 2.2 gallons (unfortunately less than the typical 2.5 gallon container). I've seen the "2% of fuel" rule before - not what I experience (I average about 13 mpg, so our DEF consumption is <1% of fuel). Also, after one of the warnings, on our Solera the manual says the computer will only allow a certain number of starts. Another observation - after filling the DEF, the warning light doesn't immediately turn back off. Turning the ignition to the point where the warning lights all light, waiting until almost all go back off, then starting seems to help reset the DEF warning (believe I have had to do this twice to get the warning light off on occasion). Some have reported on the forum needing a software update to get the DEF warning to clear - hopefully, your newer model has the update from the factory.
FYI, Jim
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

When I first got my 24S in 2012 we were out on the second trip of the year with about 3000 mile on the rig when the warning light came on. I wasn't sure what it was at first then realized what was happening. The manual stated that you would experience power loss if the DEF wasn't refilled, so I figured I had some time before that happened. I was able to drive another 25 mile before I got to a gas station which carried DEF. But I was able to make that with no problem or power loss. The warning light didn't reset right away but did after running for about 2-3 minutes. Good Luck with yours and happy RVing
Old 03-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #6

Don't own a Motorhome. I have experienced DEF issues with a 2011 Silverado 2500HD. No DEF gauge just a warning light that would come on "whenever" plus had to open the hood (hot) to add DEF. Dumped the 2500 for a RAM 2500 with a DEF gauge and fill port in the fuel door. No thread hijack intended.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

Always get smarter reading these. Guess I missed the Sprinter connection. Sorry for any misleading info.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #8

My 2015 MB chassis has a level indicator in the dash just like the fuel level indicator. You have to scroll through to find it.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:44 AM   #9

I have a 2015- did not know this. will have to have a scroll.

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #10

Turn the ignition on and press the "M" 3 times. This is what you'll see...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	1597
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	101630  
Old 03-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
My 2015 MB chassis has a level indicator in the dash just like the fuel level indicator. You have to scroll through to find it.
I did not know this either. Just tried it myself and didn't get the same results. I turned the ignition on and a single press of the "M" button shows mileage to next service. Second press shows current mileage and a icon for an oil can and the third press put me into the time clock adjustment mode. Maybe it was operator error. Anyone else been able to pull up the DEF level indicator?
Old 03-11-2016, 07:20 PM   #12

My 2015R does the same as yours Dukeboone. Maybe there is another trick?
lwalkplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #13

You can check the DEF supply and display it on the instrument panel.

Look at the Sprinter Operator Instructions book (page 183 in the 2015)

Check this section:
-Instrument cluster
-On-board computer (vehicles without steering wheel buttons)
-Menus in the on-board computer
Wrightwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #14

Doesn't look like it has a "gauge" like a fuel gauge that tells you how much you have or don't have.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:17 PM   #15

My 2016 2401S behaved the same as yours. I can set the clock But not seeing the DEF level. That's OK though, with the indicator going off with that many miles left before anything bad happens I'm not too concerned.
the1murphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:44 PM   #16

"with the indicator going off with that many miles left before anything bad happens I'm not too concerned" As I stated before I don't own a MB. My 2011 Silverado 2500HD also had a "indicator" keeping me advised as to how many miles left. That however went from 1000 mile warning to a 400/727/275/ to anywhere. I prefer the gauge. Just say'n

Old 03-11-2016, 11:30 PM   #17

Does this work for the R without steering wheel controls Bob?

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:31 AM   #18

Pretty sure it's an MB thing.I don't have steering wheel controls.I tried to download the Manual but my internet down here in Mexico is stupid slow. I'll be back home in a week and want to figure out the secret.

After I filled it up (DEF), I couldn't find the level indicator. After going to Valley of Fire and back, it worked again.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #19

On my 25r only the clock adjustment comes up after three M pushes.
Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
Pretty sure it's an MB thing.I don't have steering wheel controls.I tried to download the Manual but my internet down here in Mexico is stupid slow. I'll be back home in a week and want to figure out the secret.

After I filled it up (DEF), I couldn't find the level indicator. After going to Valley of Fire and back, it worked again.
Yes it's a MB mystery. Mine will appear at times and then disappear and go to the clock adjustment mode. It's been one of those challenges to figure out the right combination.

Today I stumbled onto making it work 5 or 6 times in a row. Each time I left the vehicle sit for a while without the key in it for 15-30 minutes. Then put the key in and turned to position 2, momentarily cycled the M button and right after the oil can icon the DEF level appeared rather than the clock adjustment mode. I'm convinced it's probably available on everyone's MBS but finding it is a mystery.
Wrightwood is offline   Reply With Quote