Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #1

New 2019 Forester MBS 2401WS changes

We just picked up our new 2019 Forester MBS 2401WS.

I have a few questions - maybe someone at FR can answer or some member?

FR changed a few things for 2019 that I don't understand.

1. To move the slide or stabilizer jacks, the engine must be running. I checked with a fellow 2017 Forester MBS owner and he doesn't need to run the engine. Was their a logical reason to add this burden? In previous MH's we never had to have the engine running to extend / retract the slide.

2. Our huge skylight over the living area has NO shade. Living in Florida, this is NOT an option. Why would FR remove this? It was in previous years and was a big "surprise" when we picked up the unit. I know I can put reflectix up there but I'd like a shade. Is there a retrofit kit I can order? Dealer has no idea.

Thanks to anyone that can answer these questions for us.

Fickl
Fickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #2

I also have a 2019. Bought it in July. Judging from the hand-written "chassis inspection" sticker on the windshield, I assume it was built in May. VIN says chassis was built in November.

My slide and jacks work without the engine running....

2011 Crusader 270RET
2008 F-250 Diesel
NottieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickl View Post
We just picked up our new 2019 Forester MBS 2401WS.

I have a few questions - maybe someone at FR can answer or some member?

FR changed a few things for 2019 that I don't understand.

1. To move the slide or stabilizer jacks, the engine must be running. I checked with a fellow 2017 Forester MBS owner and he doesn't need to run the engine. Was their a logical reason to add this burden? In previous MH's we never had to have the engine running to extend / retract the slide.

2. Our huge skylight over the living area has NO shade. Living in Florida, this is NOT an option. Why would FR remove this? It was in previous years and was a big "surprise" when we picked up the unit. I know I can put reflectix up there but I'd like a shade. Is there a retrofit kit I can order? Dealer has no idea.

Thanks to anyone that can answer these questions for us.

Fickl
It sounds like your house batteries are dead, but I'm sure you have tried other battery powered items, so that's strange. Not normal.
Regarding the shade, sometimes they forget to install items and it's missed by the inspector. Small things and big things get missed. Go figure.
It should have a shade. That's a pretty standard item. I'd squawk about it.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NottieMatt View Post
I also have a 2019. Bought it in July. Judging from the hand-written "chassis inspection" sticker on the windshield, I assume it was built in May. VIN says chassis was built in November.

My slide and jacks work without the engine running....
Do you have the lane change warning system? If not you don't have the same 2019 as us. Ours came off the line mid Aug and came out of paint the end of August.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
It sounds like your house batteries are dead, but I'm sure you have tried other battery powered items, so that's strange. Not normal.
Regarding the shade, sometimes they forget to install items and it's missed by the inspector. Small things and big things get missed. Go figure.
It should have a shade. That's a pretty standard item. I'd squawk about it.
It must be normal because there is a sticker by the myRV one control unit that says engine must be running with brake applied to operate slide or stabilizers.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickl View Post
It must be normal because there is a sticker by the myRV one control unit that says engine must be running with brake applied to operate slide or stabilizers.
Must be a new safety precaution.
There were multiple issues a while back with the stabs deploying by themselves while the vehicle was moving. It seemed to be related to the remote control unit being activated by certain frequencies such as radar guns.
I've never heard of a slide deploying while driving, but I'm sure someone has done it!
The parking brake in the off position to defeat those circuits is a good idea, and having the engine running means the power is feeding off the coach battery and alternator, which saves the house batteries, since the stabs and slide are both large draws.
All in all, it would be a good thing. Just something new to remember when camping!
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:12 AM   #7

I like that change for the slide to operate and would love to modify my 2017. To save the house battries and have good voltage I start the engine - start generator - turn engine off (otherwise slide wan't move) - move slide - turn gen off.
Any idea how to modify a 2017 model to the new setup?
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester