Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15
New 2400W owners

We finally did it! After years of dreaming about it we finally purchased our motorhome. When the Sunseeker 2400W came out a few years ago we knew that's what we wanted.

We ordered from RV One, aka rvdirect.com and drove from Austin, TX to Des Moines to pick it up and got a great deal.

Being owners of a popup and travel trailer over the past 20 years, I knew there would be issues, and there have been.

Ours is the 2018, but still has a 2017 chassis. We didn't order the outside TV. I thought I might add it later, but I cant because they removed the door for it. So no more outside TV on the 2400W

The microwave is malfunctioning, doesn't turn off when you open the door and other weirdness.

The tank heating pads don't always work. I removed the push button breaker and it worked, but the breaker wasn't tripped. Not working again so about to pull the breaker and try again.

The passenger window works but the passenger button doesn't work. It has to be rolled up and down on the driver side.

The cab air controller doesn't do anything. No matter where you turn the knob the air still seems to come from all vents. Looks like a trip to Mercedes service.

The steering wheel control for hands free phone doesn't work. It's an aftermarket Pioneer radio unit so maybe FR didn't hook it up right. That model says it is compatible with steering wheel controls. Maybe Mercedes service can help with this as well.

I'm disappointed in the Pioneer unit they chose. It's old, entry level and doesn't have a good GPS option that actually works.

The biggest issue for me is that there seems to be a cushion missing to make the dinette a sleeping area. There is a small space that is left over after placing the cushions. Working with RVOne on this, but they're a bit slow to respond. Anyone else have this model and have the same issue? CLICK HERE for cushions image

Even with these issues, we're incredibly happy with our purchase. We took 2 days to drive it home from Des Moines and Walmart camp for the first time ever. That was kinda cool, free camping!

We've also been on 2 weekend trips and had a blast. Fortunately, were in Austin, TX so now is a great time to camp. But unfortunately, we have had unseasonably cold weather and I had already de-winterized the unit. All seems to be ok though.

If anyone is familiar with any of the issues I listed and has any suggestions I would appreciate and feedback.

Happy camping!
__________________

kcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:25 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Rkloud9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcamper View Post
We finally did it! After years of dreaming about it we finally purchased our motorhome. When the Sunseeker 2400W came out a few years ago we knew that's what we wanted.



We ordered from RV One, aka rvdirect.com and drove from Austin, TX to Des Moines to pick it up and got a great deal.



Being owners of a popup and travel trailer over the past 20 years, I knew there would be issues, and there have been.



Ours is the 2018, but still has a 2017 chassis. We didn't order the outside TV. I thought I might add it later, but I cant because they removed the door for it. So no more outside TV on the 2400W



The microwave is malfunctioning, doesn't turn off when you open the door and other weirdness.



The tank heating pads don't always work. I removed the push button breaker and it worked, but the breaker wasn't tripped. Not working again so about to pull the breaker and try again.



The passenger window works but the passenger button doesn't work. It has to be rolled up and down on the driver side.



The cab air controller doesn't do anything. No matter where you turn the knob the air still seems to come from all vents. Looks like a trip to Mercedes service.



The steering wheel control for hands free phone doesn't work. It's an aftermarket Pioneer radio unit so maybe FR didn't hook it up right. That model says it is compatible with steering wheel controls. Maybe Mercedes service can help with this as well.



I'm disappointed in the Pioneer unit they chose. It's old, entry level and doesn't have a good GPS option that actually works.



The biggest issue for me is that there seems to be a cushion missing to make the dinette a sleeping area. There is a small space that is left over after placing the cushions. Working with RVOne on this, but they're a bit slow to respond. Anyone else have this model and have the same issue? CLICK HERE for cushions image



Even with these issues, we're incredibly happy with our purchase. We took 2 days to drive it home from Des Moines and Walmart camp for the first time ever. That was kinda cool, free camping!



We've also been on 2 weekend trips and had a blast. Fortunately, were in Austin, TX so now is a great time to camp. But unfortunately, we have had unseasonably cold weather and I had already de-winterized the unit. All seems to be ok though.



If anyone is familiar with any of the issues I listed and has any suggestions I would appreciate and feedback.



Happy camping!

Hey kcamper!

Congratulations on your new 2400W! We have had our 2017 W for about 21 months, have covered nearly 29000 miles, and have been on board at least 220 days. We love the floor plan and the chassis, and have had pretty good luck regarding reliability and build quality. All the chassis issues you have (windows, air control, steering wheel button functionality) will be fairly easy for an MB tech to repair. On the other hand, the microwave, tank heaters, and cushion will require a dealerís attention, which will be challenging with your dealer being in Iowa. Perhaps you can call Forest River to see if they can help you find a dealer closer to home that will be willing to help you. The microwave will probably need to be replaced... all the appliances have separate warranties, so you could try calling the maker... although the micro is not too difficult to remove and replace, your RV is so new that this should be handled by a dealer. Regarding the radio, it is what it is... ours is a Jenson that also had a lot of bad press, but we got used to it. Many folks just replace them for what they really want. I say donít let it drive you crazy... fix it now so it doesnít get in the way of a good time.

Texas is crazy cold this year... we were down there for Christmas, and we just had to give up on it, look for warmer spots, and beat feet out of there... the beauty of being mobile!!! We are presently in Quartzite AZ at their crazy RV happening... tens of thousands RV folks here enjoying desert winter weather (mostly sunny 70ís days, high 40ís nights). We were invited to crash a Winnebago View/Navion meet up, where they are expecting about 110 units. Only been here a few hours, but the folks are all fun-loving and full of good stories.

Something you might not know about your W... the black and gray tanks have the heat pads, but the fresh water tank has a shroud under it and is heated by a duct from the propane furnace... you could put some anti freeze in the grey and black, and keep warm with the furnace, and you should be ok. Most all the plumbing is inside the heated part of the RV... the only super weak spot is the outside shower... get the water out of that at all costs if you are in a serious freeze.

Get ďOut ThereĒ and enjoy!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400w
__________________

__________________
Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Rkloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Powell Butte, Or.
Posts: 300
Congrats on the purchase. Like Rkloud( said - the bulk of your concerns are going to be dealer issues. Only problem you may run into is the famous first question a lot of RV dealers are asking now at service counters: "did you buy the unit from us"? Now, what difference this makes I have no idea, but best bet is to check with them first to make sure there are no issues coming in for warranty work. Also, something else to consider, check your registration when yo get it. You may find that you purchased a 2018 model registered as a 2017 model based on the frame ID. This happened to me on my 2017 registered as a 2016, and took about 2 months to get fixed with the Oregon DMV. Good luck and enjoy!
__________________
2019 Tiffen Allegro Open Road 32SA
F53 / 24000# Chassis
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15
Thanks Rkloud9. I saw the heating pads. One is on the bottom of the tank and one wraps around the side. I wondered about the fresh water, I'll crawl under to check out the vent.

High Desert, I'll take a closer look. I have 2 documents, the Sunseeker says it's a 2018 and the Mercedes says it's a 2017. Are you saying that the Mercedes might really be a 2018?
kcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcamper View Post
High Desert, I'll take a closer look. I have 2 documents, the Sunseeker says it's a 2018 and the Mercedes says it's a 2017. Are you saying that the Mercedes might really be a 2018?
I think your original observation (2018 Sunseeker on a 2017 chassis) is most likely correct. Forest River orders vast numbers of Sprinters and begins building 2018's sometime around April of 2017. I'm not sure, but I don't think I've seen reference on the forum to a year X MBS motorhome that was built on a year X chassis - they've all been on year X-1.

Dave
__________________
2015 Solera 24R
2014 Mercedes Chassis
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Powell Butte, Or.
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcamper View Post
Thanks Rkloud9. I saw the heating pads. One is on the bottom of the tank and one wraps around the side. I wondered about the fresh water, I'll crawl under to check out the vent.

High Desert, I'll take a closer look. I have 2 documents, the Sunseeker says it's a 2018 and the Mercedes says it's a 2017. Are you saying that the Mercedes might really be a 2018?
Not sure what state you live in and how the registrations go there. In Oregon, the state bases the registration on the frame VIN number. In my case, I had a 2017 FR coach on a 2016 frame. Initial registration came back as a 2016 FR 2400R. It took me about 2 months to get it all sorted out between the RV dealer, DMV and the bank holding the note. Basically, what had to happen was as follows, in Oregon: First, had to go back to the RV dealer and see how they filed the registration with DMV - as a 2016 or 2017. Turns out, they filed as a 2016, based on frame VIN. Secondly, had to contact Oregon DMV registration department and advise them of issue so they could make a file, and then thirdly, had to contact the actual bank department holding the paperwork (in my case, in Florida, and get them to send a copy of the lien to them. Once DMV had the corrected paperwork from the selling RV dealer and the lien in hand from the bank, they processed an updated registration showing the unit as a 2017. Took lots of phone calls to the RV dealer and the bank to resolve. The DMV was very helpful and followed up with me to completion, so no complaints with them. Here is a link that will also help you regarding "split year registrations": The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RVIA Press Releases Good luck?
__________________

__________________
2019 Tiffen Allegro Open Road 32SA
F53 / 24000# Chassis
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.


×