Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #21

I use only DEF that I buy from the local MB dealership. Yes it costs more, but this isn't a daily driver so in the long run it isn't a big deal. And if there is ever a DEF or SCR problem they won't be telling me I bought the wrong stuff (which happens as I have read).

I also try to use the trucker lanes at Pilot or Flying J when filling up on diesel. If you have a Good Sam membership you can scan that card and pay at the pump just like a trucker. There are rarely lines, the pumps are easy to get in and out of, and the fuel spigot is huge so fill ups are very quick. And the windshield wash tubs are usually full and clean and have the long handled window scrubbers in them, unlike the auto fuel lanes. Pilot/Flying J as a good iPhone app to help you find their locations.

2016 Sunseeker MBS 2400R + Diesel Gen
2014 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Flat Tow Equipment
SMI Stay-In-Play Brake Controller
ericlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
Invest in a scangauge or ultra gauge. My 2015 mbs lack of things like coolant temp, mpg, voltage, etc. I monitor engine load as well.
I've been looking into these and it does seem like a worthwhile investment. Question on your install though, do I need to buy the "flat" adapter so the fuse box will close all the way? Perhaps it is not needed...OR did you have to go the other route and modify the fuse door in some way to be able to close it while being plugged in?

Thanks for your insights!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #23
TARVIDSON

The problem I ran into with Love and Flying J diesel last summer on a midwest trip was that all their diesel was 15% biodiesel, Mercedes only approved 5% max. Unless this has changed you just about have to stick to smaller stations to avoid the biodiesel.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARVIDSON View Post
Mercedes only approved 5% max
Mercedes would prefer that you use 0% biodiesel, but they approve 5% and allow up to 20% if nothing else is available. They'd like you to fill will lower percentage as soon as you can.

I must admit that, in general, I don't worry about this at all. I'm putting relatively few miles on the motorhome and I'm taking pretty good care of everything involved. I might be a bit (not a lot, but a bit) more concerned if my every day car was a MB diesel and I was putting 25,000 miles/year on it. On the other hand, all those trucks at the Flying J and Pilot (and pretty much every other truck stop) are putting on 500,000 miles/year or more ... and those trucks do seem to keep rolling. Maybe they're just lucky.

YMMV.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:26 AM   #25
TARVIDSON

My neighbor drives over the road for Fedex and they have switched completely to about a 20% biodiesel blend for a lower price. According to him they lowered their oil changes from 50,000 miles to 35,000 miles and more filter changes. I put 17,000 miles on in the last yearand a half and definitely try to avoid the biodiesel but have had to use 20% once. Mercedes claims they can tell if somebody has been using biodiesel when an engine is opened up. They show pictures of injectors that are damaged also. I try fairly hard to avoid it. Here is a link to Mercedes brochure on biodiesel and bluetec engines. https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital..._Brochure5.pdf
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:33 AM   #26

MB engine is designed to work with the fuel mix they recommend. Anything else is asking for trouble engine-wise and warranty-wise.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R