Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #1

New owner looking for tips/tricks

Just bought a 2016 MBS W and have been combing through hundreds of threads to learn as much as possible. (thank you what I've learned so far!) I've camped my whole life but never owned a motor home...or a diesel vehicle. Super concerned I'm going to break this thing with all the nuances, so starting this thread to absorb your quick tips. For example, I read on some other thread that when starting the the engine I should turn the key to the ON position first so that the oil pump will start circulating oil before actually turning the engine over. Dealership didn't mention stuff like that to me when taking the test drive or on delivery.

Do you have any other sorts of "rookie" tips I can learn from?
Old 12-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #2

That MBS diesel is pretty much "bullet proof"! We owned a 2011 Winnebago ERA with this engine/chassis and put a ton of miles on this great engine. You will hear a lot of "does & don'ts" for diesel engines in general and my best advice is simply read and follow the information in your owners manual.
The most important thing to do, IMHO, as with any diesel engine is to perform the maintenance schedule as reflected in your owners manual. If you do this simple thing, this engine will takes care of you till about 300,000 miles. There is no need to "baby" it as it's very tough. Use it and take care of it, enjoy it and you'll be just fine!

PS- performing the required maintenance, in a timely manner, and keeping the records to prove it, will go a long way to selling it for top $$ in the future if you choose.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #3

Fuel and oil are the most important.
Use quality fuel.
Follow schedule, ( or sooner)
Fuel filter(s) every second oil change.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #4

The oil pump is not elec. Turning the ign to on does warm up the glow plugs.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #5

Do your own oil changes and save lots of money. MB uses Mobil 1 as do I.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
2012 Solera

Mercedes diesel spec Mobil 1. Check your owner's manual. Very specific oil for compatibility with blue tech exhaust emissions system.
Also, be aware of a turbo issue if you choose to change your own fuel filter. Changing the fuel filter requires removing and replacing the air inlet hose to the turbo. That hose is attached to the turbo with a "compensator ring" - improper installation of this ring and hose can allow the ring to be sucked into the turbo.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Fuel and oil are the most important.
Use quality fuel.
Follow schedule, ( or sooner)
Fuel filter(s) every second oil change.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
What's the best way to identify quality fuel with diesel? With regular gas I'm familiar with good stations and can put in 93 octane if I want good quality, but not sure what identifies quality diesel. I read that huge thread about bio diesel percentages and that started concerning me...but what can you do if the state mandates a certain bio %???? Is one type of station better than others for diesel (i.e. Flying J is crap but Travel Centers are good)?
Old 12-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #8

I have a 2011 Coachmen Prism (a Mercedes Sprinter, diesel 3500) with only about 40K on it. I agree with others, follow the owner's manual on maintenance. I had one issue with, what I think, was bad fuel. We filled up with the gas from the cheapest station around (diesel was running about $4+ at the time) and ended with a check engine light. It wasn't blinking so it wasn't a major concern (see the manual for this situation). We traveled about 6K with it on after being assured it wasn't dangerous and when we had our next maintenance the mechanic reset it. Maintenance on this is pretty expensive (there's an every other year schedule - an A and a B year) so save your pennies! It's a great engine (my first diesel as well) and the only real difficulty for me is the placement where I need to add DEF, but that's more of a camper design problem than a Sprinter issue... I think....
roncurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
jkoenig24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Do your own oil changes and save lots of money. MB uses Mobil 1 as do I.
There are DIFFERENT Mobil 1 oils!. The Mobil 1 that is readily available in local stores is NOT the Mobil 1 that MB requires. Read the Sprinter manual. It details which specific oils are approved (there were over 20, NONE of which could be found in local auto parts stores, Walmart, truck stops etc). You can use whatever you want but, if there's a problem down the road and MB can show you failed to use the recommended oil, MB is off the hook.

I loved the 2010 3500 series Sprinter I had (while I had it). I paid the extra $ and simply brought it to a MB dealer every 10,000 miles and had the dealer perform the recommended service. If you join the Mercedes Benz club of America, most MB shops will give you 10% off the parts & labor (as well as send you a full color magazine every month or so).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #10

see which LUCAS product you can add to the oil... eliminates thermal breakdown and keeps oil at the top of the engine (no oil wash down after sitting for a few days so your not turning a dry moor.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #11

I can't help with the fuel down there.
In Canada, there is only one diesel fuel.
Use high volume fuel stations.

Do not add any additives to your oil.

Want the easy way?
Follow the book/schedule. Drop it off at Mercedes for service. No problem.

I ran penzoil ultra euro in my Mercedes. Met their spec. Found at every auto parts store.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
see which LUCAS product you can add to the oil... eliminates thermal breakdown and keeps oil at the top of the engine (no oil wash down after sitting for a few days so your not turning a dry moor.
Just as a matter of interest, Mercedes doesn't show any Lucas products as meeting their (various) specifications.

Dave
Old 12-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos1060 View Post
Just bought a 2016 MBS W and have been combing through hundreds of threads to learn as much as possible. (thank you what I've learned so far!) I've camped my whole life but never owned a motor home...or a diesel vehicle. Super concerned I'm going to break this thing with all the nuances, so starting this thread to absorb your quick tips. For example, I read on some other thread that when starting the the engine I should turn the key to the ON position first so that the oil pump will start circulating oil before actually turning the engine over. Dealership didn't mention stuff like that to me when taking the test drive or on delivery.

Do you have any other sorts of "rookie" tips I can learn from?
Congrats on the new unit.....

Even though we have a way different motor than what you got (6.7 Cummins) I will give you my two bits.... Let the motor warm up and cool down for a minute or more. Especially if it's been a hot day and you have been working it hard.

As mentioned before, most diesel motors are meant to work hard. No need to baby them

Have fun
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:49 PM   #14

Consider and independent local shop that has VW & MB experience. Usually save 20% or more compared to dealers and often get better service.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:46 AM   #15
TARVIDSON

Mercedes has a list of oils they have actually tested to their new 229.52 spec. I am still using the 229.51 spec oil. Mobil 1, Valvoline and Pennzoil all have oils that meet the new spec. Here is the link.
//bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.52_en.html
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:57 AM   #16

Change the fuel filter and oil filters every time not every other time for the cost of a filter and your always stopping at a different place the cost of a breakdown far out ways the cost of a filter. I have over 2 million miles on my semi till retired last month and last winter was the first time I had a fuel problem I picked up some water in my last fuel stop and the filter was starting to freeze. I always carry a spare I stopped ,changed it and was on my way. always carry a spare oil and fuel and a water filter if equipped and belts.
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 AM   #17
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
I can't help with the fuel down there.
In Canada, there is only one diesel fuel.
Use high volume fuel stations.

Do not add any additives to your oil.

Want the easy way?
Follow the book/schedule. Drop it off at Mercedes for service. No problem.

I ran penzoil ultra euro in my Mercedes. Met their spec. Found at every auto parts store.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Agreed!

Follow the service schedule in your owners manual and have it serviced by an authorized Mercedes shop and you should never have to worry about an argument with Mercedes if there is a problem.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:02 AM   #18

Invest in a scangauge or ultra gauge. My 2015 mbs lack of things like coolant temp, mpg, voltage, etc. I monitor engine load as well.

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:25 PM   #19

You can display outside temperature on the MBS dash -
turn your key two clicks (don't start) and hold down the M button 2 seconds. The digital speed in the center by default is redundant and should be the secondary option, loving the outside temp on the dash, wish I had it earlier.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #20
TARVIDSON

At least on my 2014 chassis on a 2015 LE2150 Prism you can change between outside temp and digital speed at any time going down the road as I remember. Mine is not at my house right now so I can't go out and check exactly which button did it or how long I had to hold it.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote