Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

new owner questions

Just bought a 2019 2401R, moving up from an Arctic Fox 990 Truck camper and have a couple questions.

1). The dash has a sony radio, I think its a model ax100. This model has an input for a GPS receiver, and there is a GPS antenna on the LS of the dash, but there is not a GPS icon on the radio. Why would they have a GPS antenna on the chassis if the radio does not have NAV? I also think they never wired the antenna because reception is real bad, and I also think there is no power wire for memory because clock resets every time I turn off key.

2) Why in the hell do I need to start the engine to open the awning? I can sort of see they want higher voltage for the slides, but you only open/close a slide once per stay, you can open the awning several times per day if your at the beach. Is there an over ride or something I can "adjust" to solve this start motor requirement? Also this LCI info center does not seem to have smart phone access. did they make a version that only worked by the touch pad display over the refreg?

3) I have roof solar, and the PDI tech said its wired to charge both coach and MB batteries at the same time. does this allow the Mercedes Benz battery to back feed and run down with coach battery? I can see I might install a switch and let the solar charge only the coach battery because the MB battery should be OK as the rig sits when your camping in it. Than in storage I could throw the switch to bring the MB batteries back into charge loop.

4) the motion detector light on the steps triggers as I move in the act of driving the rig. I might need to switch that as well.

5) anybody found a fix for that shade over the dinett? its a fan fold but fall all out of shape and hangs there like a wet blanket.

I am sure I will have more questions, but that is enough for tonight

anyway, looking forward to a long love affair with this coach.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #2

For #1, could that antenna on the dash be for SiriusXM radio, not GPS? Also, I’ve had that radio occasionally show a random, incorrect time, then later show the correct time. I figure that’s just typical Sony quality.

In regards to #4, motion sensor light, I experienced the same issue with the light coming on while driving our Sunseeker. I installed a switch next to the motion sensor light to disable it when not needed.

The motion sensor feature is great but it also needs a switch or an ambient light sensor so it won’t turn on during daylight hours.

As for #2, I don’t know what a 2401R model is, but on a Sunseeker 2440DS, The awning will NOT deploy if the engine is running or the truck key is in the on position. The engine must be off, which makes sense. Perhaps a relay or something on your unit is wired backwards. On our unit, as delivered, the LCI awning extend/retract switch was originally wired in reverse. I corrected it myself.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #3

I looked at this more today (after reading last night).

there is a sticker on wall that says you must have engine running to deploy the slides (plus parking brake has to be on)
If engine is not running the LCI one control screen display will show "off line" for both slides and awning. As soon as you turn on engine (and you have to start engine, not just turn on key) the off line disappears and the slides/awning works.

And another one "who thinks this crap up?"
to put down the rear stabilizers you must have engine running, but when engine IS running the jacks down alarm screen so loud it will cause hearing damage. (plus if you come into campground late at night, this alarm will wake up the neighbors)

there has to be some logic I can change for the awning module saying "key must be OFF".
Old 09-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #4

Go to this thread. Some good info starts at Post #13 on the second page for the awning, slide, jacks issue.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-179676-2.html

All radios, no matter the brand, are notorious for poor reception in RV's.
Mine was getting interference from the back up monitor (which was replaced and solved the issue). Others have had wiring or installation issues as the cause of poor reception. I've owned 2 of these rigs with 2 different brand radios and neither of them would display the correct time even after having been manually set.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #5

there may be reason for each RV type, or brand, being different from each other, but as far as mine goes:

- the factory 'suggests' that you have the coach engine running when you want to deploy the LEVELERS, but... the LCI panel and legs works just fine if you don't - you only need to turn the key to the 'on' position. Are there times when it might need to have the engine running? Maybe, and I think that the factory's thought here is that this allows the alternator to give the HOUSE batteries a 'boost' in order to make sure there is sufficient power when the legs hit the ground and actually start 'lifting' the coach, and it's 26,000lbs of weight.
Is it required? No. I've almost exclusively done it the opposite way for the large part of our camping life, as I don't see the need to run the engine 'while' I'm leveling the coach, since the system is perfectly capable of doing it without the alternator's extra 'boost'.
Are there times when the 'Low Voltage' light comes on? Yes, almost ALWAYS! But, I just use the Manual Mode anyway, which bypasses any restrictions due to the alert, as I've found that there is sufficient power regardless of whether the light is on, or not.

Awning: my coach has an ignition override, and will not allow either the AWNING, or the SLIDES, including the front electric Bunk, to operate anytime the key is in the ON position, or the engine is running. Reason? Probably a safety precaution only. All of these items require only the use of the House batteries to move them in or out.
I suppose that one could make use of the 'AUX'(battery emergency tie-together) switch in order to tie together the Chassis batteries with the House batteries, in the event that the awning or slides were not moving at a normal 'speed', if the House batteries were low, since they run exclusively on the House batteries, and not the Shore Power, or the Generator, or the Engine's alternator(since it can't be 'on' anyway!)...

I've found that while the 'reasons' for these restrictions, or processes, are probably there for some reason, whether practical or not, it would be nice if the owner had a way to 'bypass' or 'switch' these restrictions on or off, just like my front Electric Bunk, which requires a KEY, in the cabinet, and turned to the right, in order for it to move either up or down. A safety feature, I know, but if you just leave the key in and turned right all the time, the bunk can be moved by it's switch anytime, or at least when the coach's ignition key is not in the 'on' position!

Let's get the factories to agree to give the owner control. Sure, no one wants their slide accidentally going OUT while driving, but there are also plenty of times when you want to bring in the slides, when you're ready to go, but have already started the engine - now you have to shut down, run in the awning and slides, and then crank up again.
My leveler system has an 'emergency retract' procedure that acknowledges that very 'accidental' situation. If you crank the engine, with the legs down, you are fine to do so, but the moment you put the engine in GEAR, the system sounds all kinds of bells and alerts and AUTOMATICALLY starts bring up all the legs, only stopping the alerts when it is finally finished.
Do the same for the Awning and the Slides. : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #6

Next I need to figure out how to turn on the basement lights. there is lights in back basement, but no switches can be found. And when I hit "all lights on" using On control console they still don't come on.

Also One Control shows accent lights, but there is not any accent lights.

And the 2 lights overhead in the cabinets above the dinette (in side slide) don't come on, or have a switch.

I will go exploring tomorrow. Dealer told me this did not have Wifi, but I found it and it works good.

I have a feeling there might find some One Control modules that are unplugged.

1) Rear Stabilizers. I also need to find this controller to see the parking brake feed wire is missing. Stabilizers will only work with engine running, but whole time your using them the alarm is screaming at you. Forest River tech support said the alarm should stop once parking brake is applied. (tape over alarm really lowered that screaming noise)

we will see tomorrow.
after I install 4 Sumo springs....

I have been running generator to run 15000 AC while working on camper or driving it around in Central FL. Today we hit the propane store and the generator is burning 1 gallon per hour.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Next I need to figure out how to turn on the basement lights. there is lights in back basement, but no switches can be found. And when I hit "all lights on" using On control console they still don't come on.

Also One Control shows accent lights, but there is not any accent lights.

And the 2 lights overhead in the cabinets above the dinette (in side slide) don't come on, or have a switch.

I will go exploring tomorrow. Dealer told me this did not have Wifi, but I found it and it works good.

I have a feeling there might find some One Control modules that are unplugged.

1) Rear Stabilizers. I also need to find this controller to see the parking brake feed wire is missing. Stabilizers will only work with engine running, but whole time your using them the alarm is screaming at you. Forest River tech support said the alarm should stop once parking brake is applied. (tape over alarm really lowered that screaming noise)

we will see tomorrow.
after I install 4 Sumo springs....

I have been running generator to run 15000 AC while working on camper or driving it around in Central FL. Today we hit the propane store and the generator is burning 1 gallon per hour.
Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing.

I have been RVing since 1960's as a kid, than started all over again with my wife and we got my own first towable in the 80's. in fact were on the downward swing now, as empty nesters we got this 24 Motorhome after trading in 3 vehicles. A 30' 5er, an Arctic Fox 990 and 2018 Ram dually.

I can live with these problems and being an electronics engineer I enjoy it. As long as it don't leak I can fix it.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:57 PM   #9

Quote:
I have been RVing since 1960's as a kid, than started all over again with my wife and we got my own first towable in the 80's. in fact were on the downward swing now, as empty nesters we got this 24 Motorhome after trading in 3 vehicles. A 30' 5er, an Arctic Fox 990 and 2018 Ram dually.

I can live with these problems and being an electronics engineer I enjoy it. As long as it don't leak I can fix it.
Sounds like you have it covered!
Old 09-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #10

That was too easy, I didn't even get to finish my first ice tee and I solved the lights. (I left post here to help the next person who searches on this)

on each of the lights that would not turn on there is a button direct in center of light, push it and they come on. so the basement and dinette lights are not connected to the onecontrol system. (which is good because this is an RV so its not IF, its When the one control stops working I will still have some lights)

I guess this gives me more time to spend on seeing what they missed when they wired in dash radio (it don't keep time)

Quote:
Old 09-14-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
3) I have roof solar, and the PDI tech said its wired to charge both coach and MB batteries at the same time. does this allow the Mercedes Benz battery to back feed and run down with coach battery? I can see I might install a switch and let the solar charge only the coach battery because the MB battery should be OK as the rig sits when your camping in it. Than in storage I could throw the switch to bring the MB batteries back into charge loop.
I think your PDI tech is confused. I've had M-B and Ford chassis Sunseekers and M-B does not allow their chassis battery to be tied to the house battery. Ford and Chevy do and will have an Emergency Start switch under the drivers seat. That switch controls the relays that allow the house batteries to start the engine. If you do not have that switch they aren't tied together. Maybe M-B changed their guidelines but I highly doubt it...

Quote:
I've had basement lights that have a very small switch in the center of the light fixture.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:37 AM   #12

Do you turn off your battery switch when the RV is not in use? My radio gets power from the coach 12 volt battery. If the battery is off your radio may not have power for memory.
Quote:
That was too easy, I didn't even get to finish my first ice tee and I solved the lights. (I left post here to help the next person who searches on this)

on each of the lights that would not turn on there is a button direct in center of light, push it and they come on. so the basement and dinette lights are not connected to the onecontrol system. (which is good because this is an RV so its not IF, its When the one control stops working I will still have some lights)

I guess this gives me more time to spend on seeing what they missed when they wired in dash radio (it don't keep time)
Old 09-15-2019, 07:01 AM   #13

Have not been turning off coach battery in storage. 100w solar should be enough to keep it charged.