Old 05-21-2019, 11:13 PM   #1

New owner(?) Solera 24R

I know that there are a lot of posts on the Bluetech engine and I apology if I am rehashing old news but I haven't found the correct search criteria to get good information.

I am considering purchasing a 2015 Solera 24R with 29000 miles but know nothing of the Bluetech engine.
  • Does this engine use DEF?
  • What are the problems with this engine?
  • Should I consider purchasing this unit?
  • What is the expected maintenance, oil, filters, lube etc, costs.
  • Is MB service easy to obtain?

I have low tolerance for spending time in a repair shop I want to travel.

Thanks,
Larry K

Old 05-22-2019, 02:26 AM   #2

Uses DEF
No known problems with engine even with the complicated emmission system
I figure the cost ranges $250-800, depending on services provided.
Can be serviced by either MB or Freightliner.

The Solera is a fine rig. Just do it!

namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #3

Have a 2013 chassis with 51,000 miles. Do my own servicing. Great engine.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #4

Yep - the MBS uses DEF, holds about 5 gallons, I believe and does not use a lot of it.

The BluTec engine has been very reliable and I have not heard of any real issues with this 6 cylinder.

Oil changes can cost you $250 - $350, depending on the dealer, or you can do your own for about $120, plus initial cost of special oil filter wrench and assumes you have a torque wrench.

Where it gets pricey is when you get the 10K mile or 20K mile service. These I call the "buckle up" services as they often exceed $1000.

Authorized service places are a bit sketchy when you get away from larger, metropolitan areas. Nt just and MB dealer or Freightliner are authorized to work on a Sprinter model unless approved by Mercedes. That is why it is a good idea to have a really good roadside assistant plan that will transport your rig to an authorized repair facility that can be 500 miles from where you are. CoachNet will tow to the nearest approved facility, regardless of mileage, or so they say.

I had a Sprinter for two years, towed a 2 Dr Jeep JK and it did a good ob. No land speed records pulling grades, but it worked well, gets good mileage and easy to drive and park in town. I moved to a bigger unit due to the amount of space available and the OCCC ratings as you can't take much with you on long trips if you do a lot of different activities plus 5 weeks or more trips just got too cramped for me.

Good luck on your search and keep asking questions.

Understand, I am not bad mouthing the Sprinter, as I really liked the unit (Sunseeker 2400R). It just did not work well for 2 aduits, 2 cats and a small dog. Find the floor plan you like, spend some time in it, and see ow well it fits you and you plans.
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:02 PM   #5

I have the 24 R 2016 model and have only two of us and it works great. Get the right tire pressure set first. Our model does not have an over can bed and we love the storage.

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #6

I have the same Solera. I love it, though the interior craftsmanship isn't to the same quality as my previous diesel pusher. Others have given good answers but make sure you understand not all Mercedes Benz dealers are authorized to work on Sprinters. This is important even if you are out of warranty. Think recalls. I have have had three; two airbags and one fuel system. The nearest authorized MB shop me is three hours away. Also on that subject make sure the driver airbag and fuel system recalls on the rig have been done. The passenger airbag recall just came out so it might not have been performed.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:52 AM   #7

Good choice, find a MBZ dealer that can service Sprinters. Not all do. Be aware of the corners of the bed side out. They hurt when you bump into them . I bought baby corner bumpers at Target and glued them on the lower corners. 30k and never a problem with the Blutec. DEF tank is under the hood. Top it off before a big trip and you'll be fine. DEF is readily available at auto parts stores and on the pump island at large truck stops, Love's, Pilot etc.

myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera