Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2016, 11:16 PM   #1

New owners of 2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W!

Back in early January my wife and I ordered a new SunSeeker, and delivery was estimated to be in late March. About 10 days ago we were notified that the vehicle had arrived!

Our dealership is Barrington Motor Sales in the Chicago area, and we arrived at about 9:30 am last Friday to pick up our new SunSeeker. Having read on this forum and others about bad experiences with dealers and poorly built motor homes, I was a bit paranoid, to say the least. The owners of the company, Sean and Brian Bransky, met us in the office, and were really upbeat about the new RV. We were taken to the service area and were introduced to our new home on wheels, and honestly, it was near perfect. We spent the next 4 hours going over every detail of our new SunSeeker with Rich (great job!) and really had a pretty fun time. I would say the RV was perfect, but the radios were unable to receive stations due to a damaged antenna wire (Screw went I would say it was perfect, but the radios were unable to receive stations due to a damaged antenna wire (Screw want through it during construction). The new cable had not arrived yet. Sean called me the day before to let me know of this problem, so this issue was not a surprise. Overall, Forest River and Barrington Motors really did is nice job on this RV! The closing took another hour (never fun to write that check), and we were on our way.

A couple of pretty neat developments...
- we were expecting a 2016 model, but instead what we got was a 2017 (2016 sprinter chassis). We were told that this was the first 2017 model SunSeeker that they had sold.
- all the windows in the new RV are frameless with "tilt-out" openings. The unit we saw when we ordered ours had sliding windows.

Our first stop was the Container Store, where we found some drawer cabinets that fit perfectly into what we now call our pantry cabinet. (We will post some pix). Then we drove our new baby up to Wisconsin for the weekend. The Sprinter handled well, steady and straight, with no obnoxious rattles. I am sure that empty it was over 5 tons, and it pulls up the hills (plenty of 'em in Wisconsin) with apparent ease. Low hanging tree limbs surprised us at our destination, but no scratches. Temps dropped to about 30 degrees in the night, but the furnace did a fine job, and pretty noiselessly to boot. It was a pretty action packed day, and we had no trouble sleeping on that queen sized bed.

The rest of the weekend was spent packing the beast, working on the wireless system, and adding a bike rack. Sunday pm we took it for a spin and everything stayed put. Hooray! Stopped for super Ruben sandwiches at the Hideaway... Perfect!

Sadly we left our new ride "Up North", but we will be taking it to Texas in about 10 days. Can't wait!

Great start!!!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 03-30-2016, 12:43 AM   #2

Congratulations! Just took delivery of my new 2401W last night. Installing SumoSprings Solos on rear axle tomorrow. Should be pretty easy thanks to the great advice provided by the fine folks on this forum.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:40 AM   #3

Glad to hear you got your new RV and all went well! We pick ours up in two weeks. Can't wait. Reading this forum has given me lots of questions to ask our dealer when they go over the workings of the unit that I never would have thought of!
captdanerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:01 AM   #4

Regarding the suspension, I will drive mine for awhile to see what problems there might be. Last weekend we drove about 300 miles on all kinds of roads, and the vehicle was really steady, and about as smooth as I think a fairly heavily laden truck can be. We will see how she rides when we load it up with water, as our Wisconsin digs feature perfect, really pure spring water, so we are definitely taking it with. We will try to find a place to weigh the beast once fully loaded.

Before we saw the 2400w, we were pretty set on the Winnebago View/Navion, and we loved the Remis cab shades they feature. So we ordered those from Winnebago. Not cheap (about $750 with shipping) and I decided to have the dealer install them (also not cheap @ 4 hours labor). Really glad we did that, as I know it would have taken me much longer. They are super sharp looking.

We also added MaxAir fans with covers to the bedroom skylight and bath, as we really want to maximize fresh air and minimize AC use. Not tested yet, as the weather is still pretty cool in these parts.

More later!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 03-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #5

Congrats and enjoy!! I'm Jealous- wish they had made the "W" model when I purchased my 24S. Even so, two years later and 17,000 miles- I'm loving mine.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #6

Well this is weird! Our names are also Bob & Cynthia and we bought an identical model 3 months ago! It's a Forester MBS 2401W and has everything you described. Saved $12k over Oregon dealer price by buying from VA dealer and driving it back. We love it! It rides really nice and has plenty of power pulling up hills. And the full side slide ("W") adds a ton of room for a 25 foot unit.

But we have had several early issues. The propane regulator would not work at cold temperatures (30's) so we couldn't use the furnace nor generator that night. The gray and black water drain handles were reversed. The 12V TV plug was defective and got super hot. A drawer frame had broken wood (inside) so the latch gave us issues. All rear lights came on and would not go off. (Turned out to be the converter module that feeds the 7 pin tow connector). That one happened twice! All fixed under warranty. And the full side slide leaks rain when driven. (Still working on that one).

WARNING: I do my own oil changes and it took me forever to find a special oil demanded by this Mercedes V-6 turbo-diesel. This engine uses diesel exhaust fluid "Blue DEF" and has a diesel particulate filter so you can't just match the MB oil spec to the top of the bottle. You have to Google their spec which gives a list of approved oils, most of which are European and none of which are on the shelf of your local store! Some of the approved oils are made by Mobil One, Castrol, Amsoil but aren't commonly stocked, at least not yet. I had to special order "Mobil One ESP" which stands for Emissions System Protection. These oils have to be low ash, etc, etc. So don't take your MB to your local shop unless you bring them the right oil because they are not going to have it! (Although they will tell you it's all the same because they know better than the Mercedes Benz engineers who designed this low emission engine....)

(Also) Bob & Cynthia
2015 Forester MBS 2401W
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #7

Just a note to let you know that there are threads with an abundance of information concern oil and oil changes for the MBS.

Good luck to all and enjoy your new MBS.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #8

Hey, from one Bob and Cynthia to the other, it is not weird... It just demonstrates good taste on multiple levels.

Since we have really only spent one weekend in the SunSeeker, we cannot fully report on the presence or lack thereof of flaws. We got what I consider to be a great price from the dealer (Barrington Motors in Bartlett, Il.) Sean, the president of the company, shared with me that they are motivated to find the problems before delivery because, first, they get paid by Forest River to fix any problems they find. And second, of course, their customers are happier.

Regarding the oil, people who seem to know their stuff about these vehicles from the Sprinter Forum all believe that the MB recommended 20000 mile or annual oil change (whichever comes first) is the way to go. I am sure I will change it more often, as the bio-diesel mandates here in the Midwest will compromise the oil life. All that being said, I plan to let the MB folks do this for me... We have some pretty good MB shops around here (Chicago area). And where else can you get a $300 cup of Starbucks!

We will put the machine to the test when we head to Houston in 10 days, as the round trip will be at least 3000 miles. I will report on what happens.

Regarding the leaky slide, any details you can share would be enlightening, as that is the key feature and the thing that is my biggest concern about this RV.

Thanks to all for the nice comments!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 03-30-2016, 08:29 PM   #9

My wife and I also took ownership of a Forester MBS 2401W last August 2015. Similar problems as bob5560g. We have been out 3 times and 3 times have taken it in to be repaired under warranty. Gray and black handles reversed, 23 inch Jensen TV not able to turn on (bad power supply from supplier new power supply and it still does not work), toilet supply line leaking, 1 storage compartment still leaks, all 4 corners of slide out show daylight, trim to cover outside of fiberglass above cab bunk came loose and the list continues. I know there will be problems, but this is crazy. I already have a fix or repair daily vehicle (FORD) and it looks like I have another. Almost forgot while heading to Arizona this winter our engine light came on and had to get the engine overheating sensor replace in Texas.
mur9335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:37 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
Sean, the president of the company, shared with me that they are motivated to find the problems before delivery because, first, they get paid by Forest River to fix any problems they find. And second, of course, their customers are happier.
s
Very nice to hear, because this is how it should be done.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #11

Congratulations and welcome to the group!
Old 03-31-2016, 07:01 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
We ordered our Forester MBS 2401S at the end of January and picked it up from RVWholsalers on the 23rd of March. We also thought we were getting a 2016 but received a 2017. The only problem we've had so far is one of the pull down shades broke. Everything else seems to be working just fine. I like to think the lack of problems is partly due to the attention to detail and excellent costumer support we got from RVW.

The only other problem I've had is just my ignorance when it comes to the motorhome. This is my first.
Keithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:55 PM   #13

Look at it this way... Figuring these things out and discovering all that's new out there is part of the adventure!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 04-01-2016, 05:45 AM   #14

Friends and campground people can help a lot. What grill to buy, what carpet to get, what cooking utensils to carry, and all kinds of useful stuff. Have fun!
Old 04-21-2016, 11:18 PM   #15

Trip report on our 2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400 W...

We are in our 12th day of our first big adventure in the Beast... Here are some details from the road (presently on a lake in northern Mississippi, the only camper in a 60 space Corps of Engineers campground, no hookups... Gorgeous night, full moon, temps in the 60's, livin' the life!)

We have been through conditions from 23 degrees and snow to torrential downpours to beautiful sunny days in the 80's. We have driven in all this, and you can add strong winds, heavy traffic, and pretty rough roads. So far we have covered about 2700 miles, with another 800 to go. This is our first motor home, unless you count the 1970 VW van that we camped in 40 years ago.

Overall, the lifestyle meets or exceeds our expectations, and the SunSeeker is proving to be pretty perfect for us...

MB Chassis:
Solid performance! Despite the bulk of the coach, both Cynthia and I find it pretty easy to drive. There is plenty of power, and it goes where you point it. It can get thrilling with some of the 30 mph crosswinds we have encountered, but it has always been under complete control. One must remember that this thing is basically a truck that is running at maximum load. On a smooth road it is a perfect joy... On rough roads with beat-up expansion joints, it is not so pleasant. We have had to make U-turns fairly often, and the turning radius is a real plus. MPG has run from 12.5 to16.3 per tank, and we have been driving in the 55-65 mph range. One of the craziest looking dash lights I have ever seen came on at 2500 miles. Needless to say, panic ensued. Turns out the DEF tank was down to 1.5 gallons... Put 2.5 gallons in and all is good.

Electronics:
These things are a perpetual puzzle, and often getting something to work takes tons of trial and error. Getting the Bluetooth to pair on the entertainment system was not fun, but it works now. The nav system in the head unit has a 100 page manual... We have been working with it, and have grown to truly love it... Better than anything else I have used. The main TV mates nicely to the TV, and the sound system is pretty sweet... I do not think the sub-woofer is working, and I am not sure it is needed.

Forest River Design and Build:
The layout of this "house" is wonderful for us. We love the dinette... It is comfy, great for sitting around talking, eating, cruising the net, watching the tv, listening to music. The bed is just right, about the same size as home. Still learning how to best use the kitchen... The dinette comes into play as a prep surface when things get involved. The bath and shower are "right-sized" for the scale of house, and works for us. We were worried about storage inside, but there is plenty, especially when you add the "attic" above the cab. We are still in the learning stages, and really overpacked. There is plenty of storage in the basement, nowhere near filled. You can tell these people have been building these things for awhile, as there are a lot of nice details that make it more livable... Lighting all over the place, including nice night-lights along the floor. Lots of USB charging spots.
The fit and finish of everything is solid, clean, and seems pretty durable. The cabinets are all solid wood, with some of the trim using thin laminates that match the wood. Driving down the road the rattles are minimal, mostly centering around the side door and dinette table... Sounds (all minor) coming from these areas, but not pinpointed yet. Everything works!
Problems:
- side door is solid, but the latches for the screen door / main door are a learning curve... We cannot shut the door without working the latches, and they stick.
- the Curt controller wigged out in the super rains we drove through, causing the running lights to randomly go on and off night and day. When it dried out l taped HD plastic bags over it, and it is now ok... It also has not rained in awhile.
- in what I would consider about the hardest rain I have ever experienced, a small leak developed on one side of the forward MaxAir fan.
- the slide room, both the coolest feature and potentially biggest problem, would not extend as I was trying to show it to a relative 1200 miles from home. I called the dealer, and they were ready to fix it right away, except for the "1200 miles away" problem. They referred me to a dealer in the area we were visiting, and that is a story in itself, and not a good one. The videos from Lippert are pretty helpful, and the good news is that the slide controller in easy to find, in the basement cabinet under the slide. It has a code system that tells you what the problem is. In our case, motor 2 had a short in the wiring. and I found that the plug that connects the wiring to the motor was cracked, causing a loose wire. Hot glue & tape and all was good.

So, the adventure continues, and overall we are loving the vehicle and the living space. We have a lot of trips planned this year, and will keep in touch on the forum. Thanks to all for your contributions... I have learned so much here.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 04-22-2016, 05:58 AM   #16

Bob and Cynthia, I have found that the site RVGeeks is a good one. I ordered two hatch lifts for the lower door in the basement because it was hard to load while balancing the door on my head!
Old 04-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #17

Let me know how those door lifts work for you. I have followed the RV geeks for awhile... Very informative! On this trip we changed plans due to the HEAVY rains in Texas, and diverted our course to New Orleans. Their campsite recommendation there, Bayou Signette State Park, was spot on, totally 5 stars.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 04-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #18

New owners of 2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W!

Great trip report, thanks!

You have probably seen, there are quite a few posts about Curt controllers on other threads in this forum.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-23-2016, 12:07 AM   #19

Thanks 'MinnTraveler and all others who have posted to their problems with the controller. I would not have had a clue what was causing the running lights problem had it not been for this forum.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 04-24-2016, 05:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
Thanks 'MinnTraveler and all others who have posted to their problems with the controller. I would not have had a clue what was causing the running lights problem had it not been for this forum.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W

Did you have any RV weight issues? Did you have it weighed? We are finding that we are maxed out on the GVWR with a few very modest add-ons and a bunch of stuff in the basement compartments. No bikes or toad or compressor. Just some cables, hoses, outdoor area rug, EMS box, and a small electric heater which we will probably leave behind.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Tags
sunseeker