Old 05-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #61

Hi all! To return to the original topic, our new 2017 SunSeeker 2400W...

We are preparing for our next trip, which will take us to the East Coast, and maybe up into Canada. We are leaving from the Chicago area, and are planning to take about 5 days getting to the Providence, RI area. We will spend about a week there, and then drift North and loop back. Before our departure, the beast goes in for some warranty repairs... We have an appointment on the 17th, and it might be of interest to the forum to see what the issues are and review the results. Here is my note to the dealer outlining the issues in question...

" -Radio Antenna... The cable that attaches the Antenna to the 2 radios was damaged during the build, and the part had not come in by the time we picked up the MH.

- Serius XM service... the head unit in the dash indicates that the XM receiver is present, but there is no signal being received. I see that there is a small "button" on the roof with "XM" on it... is this the antenna for that service? Can you insure that this is working?

- Tire Valves:
The stems on the duel tires have problems...
Left Rear, Outside Tire, no valve extender
Right Rear, Inside Tire, valve stuck (cannot read pressure or put air in it)

- Curt Controller (the gadget that controls the lighting connections between the coach and the hitch connector). Apparently this device has been problematic across the line on the Sunseeker MBS models (per the Forest River Forum). After driving through HEAVY rain on several occasions early in the trip, the running lights would go on and off on their own, whether the MH was running or parked. You could hear a clicking sound coming from the Curt Controller (mounted on the back left undercarriage just in front of the rear bumper) that corresponded to the flickering. After several non-rainy days the condition stopped. I taped some plastic bags over it with Gorilla Tape, and have had no further trouble, but we have also not driven through any more rain since then. Perhaps there is a recommended fix from Forest River, or you can get a replacement part that we can have on hand should this happen again. This device is mounted in a bad place if it is sensitive to getting wet.

- Slide Room Motor 2 Connection. When we got to my Brother's home in Texas, we were all ready to show off the marvels of the SunSeeker to our relatives, but we could not get the Slide to deploy... only one side was moving. This is both the coolest feature of the MH, and my biggest worry, so naturally I was a bit stressed. I called your service department, and they were ready to fix it right away, but the 1000 miles separation got in the way. They referred me to a dealer about 50 miles away. My conversation with them was really bad news, as they had no interest in talking to me since we did not buy it there (Toppers RV in Waller TX). Fortunately I have read a bit about the Lippert slide system, so I searched the web and watched some videos on trouble shooting the system... My brother is a Electronics Engineer, and was pretty impressed with how the controller told us that Motor 2 had a short in the wiring. We checked the plug going into the motor, and sure enough, the black wire had come loose due to a crack in the male side of the plug. We reattached it with hot glue and electrical tape, and it has been working fine ever since. The plug should be replaced.

- Water Leak on left side of front Vent Fan Housing... As I said, we experienced some of the heaviest rains imaginable while in Texas, so bad that we fled the state to avoid flooding. Water came in on the outside edge of the MaxAir housing that is in the front of the coach.

- There is a tube hanging down from the differential housing... no idea what it is for or where it goes.

- At the start of one of the later days of our first trip, as we were leaving the campground, the Transmission dropped out of gear. We stopped, shut everything down, restarted, and all was good. No panel lights came on.

- Booster Seats to make the swivel seat more usable when turned back towards the coach- We talked about ordering them from Winnebago, and you said that they had been ordered, but had not come in. We discussed that Forest River might be making them, I think the DynaMax division... Any results there?"

I will let you all know how this comes out.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 05-08-2016, 04:18 AM   #62

I would be interested in any booster seat info. you may have.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:33 PM   #63

Re: the booster cushions, our dealer is also a Winnebago dealer, and said he can get the ones made by them. It takes as long to get these as an entire motor home, about 3 months. They are also pretty expensive, somewhere around $600-$700. They would not match the materials used by Forest River, but there is something close available.

I saw a post elsewhere on this forum with some photos of booster cushions made by Dynamax, and I asked my dealer to see if he could get them. No word yet.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 05-08-2016, 11:54 PM   #64

Bob - since you're a new owner of a MBS and also talking about boosters for the swivel seats I thought I might call your attention to the SRS Airbag connector underneath the driver's seat. My understanding is that this wire (with a yellow plastic connector) is for the thoracic airbag on the MBS and it's easy to disconnect when swiveling the seats.

I wrote about it here in the Solera sub-forum prior to the MBS specific sub-forum being created.

Cheers
Old 05-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #65

<<Right Rear, Inside Tire, valve stuck (cannot read pressure or put air in it)>>

We had this too and had some of our extenders all replaced by the dealer. However I thought the new ones didn't work either. You just have to press really, really hard on them with the pressure gauge to get a reading, much harder than you think. At least that's what worked for me.

bclemens - please note the additional report of problems with the Curt controller. That report shows another safety issue here.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #66

Quote:
- Tire Valves:
The stems on the duel tires have problems...
Left Rear, Outside Tire, no valve extender
Right Rear, Inside Tire, valve stuck (cannot read pressure or put air in it)
Had the same issue with rubber valve stems and extensions on our 2401R - couldn't test pressure or put air in since day 1 (PDI). Still waiting on dealer to send replacement extension and gave up.

Followed Tireman9 advise and changed to metal valve stems and braided hoses for the rear dual tires. One of the best safety upgrades we've made. Now it's easy to air test pressure before traveling.

Braided hoses

Valve stem
Old 05-09-2016, 11:44 PM   #67

Thanks for the feedback on the valve extenders. Are those things just added to the original stems? In other words, can they be removed/replaced without air loss?

We will see what happens at the dealer... I am seriously thinking about switching all the stems to metal, and on the fronts I would like them a little longer... A POA to get the caps off without dropping them inside the wheel cover.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 05-10-2016, 12:45 AM   #68
2012 Solera

If you have the AirFlex airless extensions (orange composite with black nylon-like ends) several of us on the forum have had a problem reading pressure and adding air with them. On our 2012 Solera, I had the problem with both outer dual tires. On these extensions the black center "core" is pressed by the tire guage or the air chuck to open the valve on the tire. The extension only has air pressure in it when checking pressure or adding air - at other times the valve before the extension is shut and seals the tire. On our Solera, the outer duals have a 120 degree or so metal extension attached to the tire valve, then the AirFlex attached to that extension. The core of the AirFlex was too short to activate the valve on the 120 degree extension (with a normal tire guage or air chuck). My solution (and that of several others on the forum) was to trim several threads off the black nylon-like end of the AirFlex, exposing more of the core.
I also tied the extensions to the wheel covers with wire ties so they don't whip around while driving, and tied the wheel covers to the wheels with wire ties as there have been forum reports of the wheel covers coming off and ripping the tire valves out. With my second set of tires I had metal stems installed (hard to find for the Mercedes Sprinter rims). Original's were "high pressure rubber with metal cores"; two failed (gracefully - slow leaks) due to rubber tears - tire shop said "improperly installed". I'm more comfortable with the metal stems. No issues since. Now at 66,000 miles.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #69

Thank you!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 05-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #70
psribbens

$5.99 0w-30 ESP Mobil 1--Minneapolis area O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Watch the NAPA sales for ESP. They run their sales a few times a year. I buy when it is on sale if I don't have enough on hand for my next oil change. $5.99qt. I buy 3 cases so I always have a little extra.

They usually have to order the oil but comes the next day.
In the Minneapolis area O'Reilly Auto Parts is running a sale on oil through May 24. Sure enough, I went in, asked if they stock it at the warehouse, yes, and (as I looked at the $8.99 list price on the screen) the clerk volunteered to take $3 off a quart, So $5.99 0w-30 ESP Mobil 1. Picked up 3 cases a day later, enough for the oil change coming due in the fall, and some "just in case" extras.

thanks again.

Tags
sunseeker