Old 05-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #71

Glad you had a good experience

Now let me tell you about ours. We waited 5 weeks to get our new 2017 Sunseeker MBS 2400ws. The guy at the dealership that was suppose to take 4 hours to show us everything was too busy and his stand in spent 30 minutes. Showed us the skylight, the fridge, turned the stove on, and the radio. Said do you have any questions. walked outside around the thing and pointed out where the generator was, the outside shower, and where to put the oil in the engine. again do you have any questions. Didn't have a clue what to ask. Drove it home 90 miles and the gas gauge never moved, the radio went out when you hit the brakes and came back on when you let off. The dealer had installed a brake controller on delivery and they blamed it on it took so long to do they didn't have time for a proper walkthrough even though they knew a week before it came in they were suppose to install it. So we get it home and let out the slideout to show my brother in law and notice 3 screws were missing and the holes had not been drilled even. The slideout when retracted sticks out at the bottom by the drivers door about 2 inches but the top is flush. There is a major motor fault on the control box for the slideout.It is suppose to be an all aluminum frame but we find that there is wood all under it. The electric propane igniter doesn't work but it starts manually with a lighter. Not impressed for $85,000. I see why these dealers make you sign an as is form. This is our first motorhome and most likely our last. After calling Forest River and yelling and screaming we have an appt June 1st with a closer dealer then the one we got it from. When we called that dealer they said they only service their customers. Hopefully I will have some good news after June 1st. We haven't even taken it out yet because we are afraid they will say we voided the warranty.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 PM   #72

So sorry to hear about all your troubles!

Clearly the dealer plays a critical role in the purchase of a new motor home, especially when the buyer has no experience with these things. I had read so many horror stories about mfr. flaws and poor dealer prep that the week before our PDI I worked myself up in a frenzy regarding possible problems. My biggest fear was that there would be some issue that would cause us to refuse delivery... The build time for ours was about 10 weeks (exactly what our dealer predicted), and we had a major trip planned that would have been problematic to postpone or cancel. I am pretty sure that if we were handled in a fashion similar to you, we would have had to delay the delivery (and the close of the sale). Lucky for us, the "beast" was close to perfect and meticulously prepped. Our PDI was 4 hours, and included both of us driving it, with some great tips on missing curbs and backing it up.

I do not understand the "as is" document you had to sign. Wasn't you MH new? Also, what have you done that could possibly void the warranty? I assure you that the gas gauge issue would be addresses by a Mercedes dealer under warranty. What has the original dealer done to make all this right with you?

Let us know how all this shakes out.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 05-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #73

Why not make public the name of the dealership so others know where not to buy?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #74

2017 MBS Sunseeker 2400 wheel cover removal

Anyone had any luck figuring out how to remove those fancy wheel covers on the 2017 sunseeker? Seems like the valve stems are too short to check the tire air pressure without removing the wheel covers. They appear to be force fit like most older metal wheel covers were, but there is no wedge style tire iron in the tool kit to use for removal. The MBS owners manual provides absolutely no instructions at all on how to remove them. In the tire change instructions it just says to remove hubcaps!!!!!!!

I don't really want to just start prying on the edges of the wheel covers and chance damaging them, thus the reason for asking.

Any and all help appreciated.
Sherman

BTW, I received a real nice letter about the Forest River Sunseeker Quality and how it is designed for reliability and durability. yet they engineer the coach so you need to take the wheel covers off to check the air pressure but don't provide the tools nor the instruction on how to accomplish this feat.

Screws loose, Screws missing, Wiring shorts in the slide out motors, Electronic ignition for gas water heater inoperable. If Forest River considers this kind of production and inspection, Quality, I would hate to see what they allow to be sent out to the customer what is just average.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:44 AM   #75

It's not the easiest thing

Fortunately, I have the correct tool to remove the covers - a commercial grade hubcap remover with rubber mallet attached to reinstall. You should be able to pry them free with a large screwdriver wrapped with tape to protect from scratching.

You shouldn't have to remove the covers, but since those cheap plastic valve stem extensions are useless - you end up having to do so to get to the factory valve stems. There are several posts on here about quality replacements for the extensions.. It appears, however, that most require steel valve stems - which is probably a good idea anyway.

Get used to the poor quality and failing components. Seems to be pretty standard.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:06 AM   #76

By no means am I trying to excuse FR because they do have problems. But go to any Cadillac, MB, or any other well respected auto manufacturers service department and look at the cars lined up to get warranty work performed. Have had either mine or family members new cars leaking water, missing screws, parts falling off. The auto manufactures have automated assembly lines putting together each vehicle exactly the same so how could this happen. Parts fail; old and new. People fail.

I have had minor problems with my 24R in the 3 years I have owned it, but none of them were show stoppers. I repaired them because they were minor. I also repair my cars when I can because I don't like others messing with my stuff.

Roof leaks should not happen and they can be very upsetting/damaging. Under warranty, take it to the dealer and let FR pay for it. New RVs should not be leaking period!

I get on top of my coach each time I clean the RV (happens often) and inspect the sealant.

BTW, after reinstalling wheel covers use plastic or metal ties to insure the covers can't come off. The metal retainers on the covers are very brittle and break off.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:48 AM   #77

Yes and no

Generally, I agree with you - but when was the last time your Cadillac or MB dealer refused to work on your vehicle because you didn't purchase it from them? Or you had to leave it with them for a month or so before they even started to work on it? And if you did, they would provide a loaner vehicle.

I usually do all of my own non-warranty work too. Fortunately, I have had very little warranty work required on my Toyotas, Lexus, Hondas or Acuras. And very little out of warranty, other than routine maintenance.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:32 AM   #78

I got into it with the Mercedes-Benz engineering department. It seems as though they couldn't get my brakes to work. Finally after changing the master cylinder 3 times we got the thing to work.. with the biodiesel problem I'm not quite sure I made the right decision. You got it, if I could have bought the same rate when an accurate as see that's what I be driving. The coach made by Forest River a 24 R, very few problems the ones that I did have we're taking care of in an expedient manner. What river has been great. Mercedes-Benz leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:35 AM   #79

Darn predictive spelling. What I meant was and Acura Chassis
Old 05-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #80

When I had a problem that required warranty work be performed by a dealer, I did not leave it with them. I took it in, they saw what the problem was, ordered parts, I took the RV home until the parts came in. Once parts arrived I took the RV back for 3 days worth of work and that was it.

Tags
sunseeker