Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #161

Anybody here get one of those registered letters? Double talk indeed! The National Biodiesel Board would love to have us run on B-100 if it was available.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-12-2017, 02:04 AM   #162

I'm hoping thing will change direction in 9 days
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #163
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
I'm hoping thing will change direction in 9 days
I know this is tempting but just DON'T GO THERE please!!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #164

As the OP, I second the motion.

We are gearing up for a 2 month "out there" experience. Details to come.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #165

From what I read in the Information sheet from the state of Minnesota there is no bio fuel in #1 diesel so maybe that could be the solution to the problem, just buy #1 fuel, which you should use in freezing climates anyway to reduce gelling.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #166

Probably not a good idea to fill with #1 diesel, as MB specifies #2, but I really do not know.... here is a link to an interesting read:
http://www.dieselhub.com/tech/diesel-fuel-grades.html

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 01-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #167

2017 Sunseeker 2400W

Well tomorrow is the big day, taking delivery of the new W on Friday the 13th. Anyone got any last minute advice for me, when I meet the dealer ? That, after he changed the deal on me while on the phone taking the deposit (back on 11-14-16) ? It was "My call" to fork over an additional $1300 at the last minute for the privilege to do business with my "local" dealer just two hours away. Two days of phone and net dealing with sales and then the Mgr. upped the price while I was giving the gal my credit card 8K deposit. Must send deposit first to get a hard copy buy sheet ??
I must say, more than anything I wanted this for my bucket list awful bad, cause I've never been had by a car dealer like this. My choice, my money, but they will be held to the fire like never before when I need service. I told them to be prepared for a detailed PDI tomorrow, 100/100 before I sign the check. Now that being said, I look forward to the joy of sharing life in the Nor Country with the grandkids. They are even more excited than the wife and I.

Cheers and safe travels fellow road warriors !!

Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:51 PM   #168

One thing we didn't look at was the sound on the main TV. Had to switch wires to make the DVD come over the ceiling speakers.(learned that from here). Take a non-blu-tooth DVD with you. Might as well check both TVs. Make sure you go in and out with the slide and you understand about holding the switch for an additional couple seconds to keep motors in sync.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #169

Hey MtnMan64! Welcome to the club!

Friday the 13th will henceforward be your Lucky Day!

Our memory of our PDI day 7 months ago is something of a blur, but I can tell you it was both exhilarating and stressful. The dealer had a large indoor space, and our first sight of the Beast was unforgettable... it looked terrific, and we were so excited. Our tour and instruction session, along with a test/training drive, took about 3 hours. Then all we had to do was pay for it (yikes, that was a BIG check!) Be prepared to be offered a service contract, which was a challenging decision for us to make.

Regarding stuff to look out for, just be sure you see how everything works... I am sure you have some kind of checklist, but if not, do a search on this forum and you will find plenty of advice. Our W has performed quite well overall, but the areas where we have had issues have been the following:

Tires: the duals on ours had an odd array of valve extenders... I never thought to check those, and I later discovered that it was difficult to impossible to check the tire pressure on these tires. If you have a good pressure gauge, take it along and try it out. Otherwise, borrow theirs and check each tire's pressure yourself. If you have problems, trust me, it will not get any easier. Solve this problem right away. The door sticker says 61 psi on mine, and that is what we go by. My dealer was pretty adamant about following this guideline, and the tires look great after 14000 miles. After you have driven the unit for 2000 to 3000 miles and figured out how you roll load-wise, get an alignment done.

Radios: we could not get the Satellite radio to work, and the reception for AM and FM was poor. We did not notice this, and had to return to get it fixed.

Water low points: be sure to have them show you where they are. Also, have them go through the winterization routine with you. The coach instructions, at least on our unit, were pretty generic, and are not really useful.

It will be a real whirlwind of a day for you tomorrow, but it will be the beginning of really great times!

Let us know how it goes. Hope to see you "out there"!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 01-16-2017, 11:04 AM   #170

Sorry I missed your PDI request but the ideas above are great and a good PDI checklist is a must. Anyway, how did it go?

Hat last minute jacking if the price sounds very unethical. Feel free to scream bloody murder at them.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Nights camped 2016: 32; RV to date: 35
Old 01-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #171

New Sunseeker MBS 2400W

Friday the 13th was a warm and very rainy day in Kentucky, not the best conditions for delivery of a new RV. That being said, it was a very warm and friendly day at Big Daddy's RV for our PDI. The tempo started out a bit hurried, but we were able to slow down a bit as they had never had one of this model on the lot before. I was able to help walk the service tech through some things he hadn't seen quite configured like this before. Now that's not saying that I wasn't still a bit overwhelmed with all that there was to take in. I have quite a few generic questions now that we're home with "The Mouse House", as my wife affectionately is calling it (small by her standards) , but I should be able to search and find on the net. On board read 14mpg @ 63mph in the wind and rain, not bad for this terrain,...Eh?
Last minute dealing got back $733 on the sale, enough to but a smile back on my face and make this an overall GOOD experience, and still have a dealer "close" to help with repairs.
I guess Friday the 13th may just become my lucky day !!
Old 01-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #172

Well done! I love how you had to teach the tech! (I had to help our guy find the FW fill tube which was hidden behind an open basement door...!... I mean he looked everywhere for it. But the rest was all me listening and trying to learn.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 01-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #173

2400W

Having spent the first dry day since purchase, going over the W, the worst thing I found was the hubcap alignment on the valve stems was off on all four wheels. Most of all the SS wheel covers on the front, having sharp edges around the holes were already noticeably rubbing, the rubber valve stems. I took pliers and bent the edge down and a hammer and peened them flat, so as not to damage the stems. If FR is reading this, Good Job, except for the wheel covers. No way anyone could have aired the tires in transport.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:17 PM   #174

Congrats, Mtnman64! Welcome to the club, and may we share many journeys together, by cyber- or real- space!

Kelly & Mary Beth
2017 Forester MBS 2401WS
Old 01-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #175

To Cover or Not to Cover

Hi Sunseekers 2400W MBS,

Our brand new Sunseeker is currently being stored in NH at Campers Inn where the motor of the slide out is getting replaced. (It's a brand new rv yet the slide out was already broken.) When it's ready to drive home this spring, we were wondering if we should purchase a cover for next winter's storage in our snowy NH backyard (unless we're traveling to warmer climates next winter). The sales associate didn't think it was necessary because the rv can't "breathe" under the cover.

If anyone can educate us on the pros and cons of covers (and wheel covers too), we'd like to hear from you.

Thank you!
Nonnie and Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:05 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman64 View Post
Having spent the first dry day since purchase, going over the W, the worst thing I found was the hubcap alignment on the valve stems was off on all four wheels. Most of all the SS wheel covers on the front, having sharp edges around the holes were already noticeably rubbing, the rubber valve stems. I took pliers and bent the edge down and a hammer and peened them flat, so as not to damage the stems. If FR is reading this, Good Job, except for the wheel covers. No way anyone could have aired the tires in transport.

You know you can pull those off and rotate them to adjust the fit? Unscrew and remove the center caps first then you have to pry the rim cover of bit by bit going around the circle with a large screwdriver. With the right tool you can probably just pop it out. A rubber mallet gets it back in. It's not pretty work.

Before long you will just give up on the cheap valve extenders they give you and go for some real ones. With real stainless extenders in place, you can add on sensors for a tire pressure monitoring system. I have that work 90% done and will add the TPMS units this spring as soon as it warms up around here.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 01-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman64 View Post
I took pliers and bent the edge down and a hammer and peened them flat, so as not to damage the stems.
As someone else suggested, the covers can be repositioned to provide more clearance. But in either case, you'll want to attach the covers to the wheels using some zip ties, or something similar, as the wheel covers have been known to rotate on their own. I use a couple of fairly heavy duty black ("UV Resistant") ties on each cover. The covers have also been known to fall off, and the ties prevent that as well.

Dave
Old 01-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #178

New owners of 2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
As someone else suggested, the covers can be repositioned to provide more clearance. But in either case, you'll want to attach the covers to the wheels using some zip ties, or something similar, as the wheel covers have been known to rotate on their own. I use a couple of fairly heavy duty black ("UV Resistant") ties on each cover. The covers have also been known to fall off, and the ties prevent that as well.

Dave

Wow. The way ours are attached, they couldn't possibly rotate. It takes a lot of muscle to nudge them 2mm. Maybe some just aren't tight enough?

Now I can see those two screws coming out and the caps falling off. Must put those on very tight and screw lock gunk might be in order now that you mention this topic!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 01-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #179
2012 Solera

Dave is right. Several reports here of wheel covers coming off. Another forum member concluded that the clips that hold the covers to the wheels (quite tightly, as you say) break loose when the rivets holding the clips to the wheel covers break or corrode through.
Note - the center portion held on with the two screws is decorative - no need to ever take those screws out.
Also note my comments apply to my 2012, and the wheel cover failures I saw reported here were on older units. The wheel cover design may have changed.
I also wire tie mine to the wheels.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #180

Power on during storage ?

I've been told that the Progressive Power Inverter was not intended to be on 24 /7/365. Can I get some info on this ?

Thanks in advance

Tags
sunseeker