Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #1

Newbie 2017 2400W Purchase

Hello,
Just put money down on a 2400w from RV Direct. It is scary having to pay for the unit before laying eyes on it but from these forums it seems that is the way they do business and folks seem happy with the process. Having never owned a motorhome any advice on what do look for during the PDI, also must haves before I camp would be very helpful along with must have modifications to the 2400W.

A couple of electrical of questions - Are auto formers worth their cost, what connections will I need at the campground, are solar pannels worth the cost and trouble.

Thanks,
Randy and Kathy - living the dream
WYOpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Our Solera is an MBS, but is an "S", not a "W". Corner bed, dinette plus pantry and wardrobe slide. That said, a few comments -

I installed a 100 watt solar panel and PWM controller (Renogy RV kit) about four years ago. My unit is stored outside. The solar has been totally trouble free, keeps the batteries fully charged while in storage, and (I believe) makes a noticeable difference in battery life while boondocking. I am quite pleased with it.

I use a Progressive EMS, but not an autoformer. We have camped over 250 nights, went to Alaska and cross-country (California to Maine and back), total of over 75K miles. I think one time I elected to not use the campground power because of issues identified by the EMS - I just "boondocked" that night. Maybe avoiding the South in summer has made a difference - but my experience does not support buying an autoformer.

There is a long thread on mods in the Solera forum - you might want to glance through it. Many may not apply to your (newer) MBS: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ead-44705.html

Lots of threads on what accessories to get. First item - cash or credit card! Dealer may include a starter kit. I recommend including a small tool kit, cheaply VOM (volt ohm meter), duct tape, GOOP or similar glue, ...

Also, with an MBS, a couple gallons of DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) - mine uses a gallon every 1700+/- miles and the dash warning light comes on when it is down just over two gallons (YMMV). As mine is somewhat stubborn about resetting, I try to add before the dash warning triggers (based on mileage - understand from posts here newer models have a "gauge" of sorts - check your owner's manual).

Also, on our MBS, in strong cross winds occasionally a couple of stability warning lights get triggered. These only reset after a shutdown and restart.

Not sure if you have the AC with heat pump. We don't - we have a small 1500 watt electric heater we carry along and use when we need heat and have electric hookups (to save on propane). Works great.

Have fun!
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:24 PM   #3

Thanks JLeising! Very good info! I guess I need to pass on the autoformer based on your experience. Also the solar panel seems worth the effort. Is yours mounted on the roof or free standing. We do have the heat pump - I would not have selected it but it was on the unit they had in stock so got it for next to nothing based on if we had ordered one.

Do you carry a code reader?

Thanks,
Randy
Old 02-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
2012 Solera

My solar panel is mounted flat on the roof, front corner "over the driver". I don't currently carry a code reader - but one time I wished I had one (failed Electronic Stability Processor - lots of dash lights, wouldn't shift out of first gear - towed). Reader would have been interesting for troubleshooting, but would not have resulted in a different outcome...
I posted on my solar install at the time I think post 14 in this thread:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d-53549-2.html
Old 02-13-2017, 11:14 PM   #5

Thanks much I will check out the thread.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
2012 Solera

Another thought - leveling blocks. I carry three sets of Links Levelers. Often referred to as "Legos levelers". If your rig has leveling built in, you may need less. Actually only need them maybe 20% of the time.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #7

I bought my 2014 24S from RV Direct in Des Moine, IA. My PDI w/ Lance was excellent. He spent 3 hrs. very patiently helping me. I flew alone to p/u and was a female w/ no prior Rv knowledge. The 38% savings were well with the trip. Nearly 25,000 miles later I really enjoy it's small size for being able to be spontaneous and good gas mileage. I added the solar on the roof, sway stabilizers, DISH and auto leveling jacks, etc....I do alot of state parks and dry camping, the solar works great, have never had an issue. Enjoy!!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #8

2400W

We took delivery of our ordered 2400W on January 13th, hence forth known as lucky Friday 13th. We actually got them to drop the price by $800 based on a technicality, and had NO issues with the coach inspection. We have only found the fridge missing a rack clip, and stove top missing a grommet. Done and done. To date I have installed four drawers in the pantry (as seen in the forum), added an Autoformer Advanced to cover the Canadian electrical issues, and a few command hooks in the shower. Having read up on the Sumo Springs, I installed the rear set and liked them so well I have ordered the front. They will be delivered tomorrow, and be on before dark.
BTW, the wife got a $10 black shower curtain from Amazon to replace all the window covers for the front of the MBS. We hope you love yours as much as we do ours. Safe travels and happy camping !!
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #9

Is the black shower curtain to "black out" the windows or for the cab? I don't have black out shades so I insert foam core or reflectix panels for privacy & insulation when needed.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #10

RV Direct

Thanks for all the info especially the experiences with RV Direct at Des Moines IA. Very relieved to know that folks have not had issues with them. We will be doing something very similar mntlvr in that we will fly in to pick up the unit without ever seeing the 2400W in person. I hope our unit has a few problems as yours mtnman64!

It looks like a solar pannel is in our future since we plan on boondocking a fair amount. Where is the best place to buy items such as the solar pannels, sumo springs, and electrical needs?
Old 02-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
Is the black shower curtain to "black out" the windows or for the cab? I don't have black out shades so I insert foam core or reflectix panels for privacy & insulation when needed.
Blacks out the living quarters from below the cab over bunk. Seconds vs minutes to put up all the cab shades.
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #12

Congrats on your new MBS, we have a 2016 2400w and love it.
AS far as mods go, read the mods in the forum , but use the MH a few times and see what will improve things for you before you go spending money and time on mods because some else did it. Stock , the MBS is good, well equipped RV. As an example solar, in our case we rarely boondock, and when we have we get 2 days out of the batteries, so solar is not a priority for us.
Some tips in general:
Sumo springs will make a noticeable improvement in handling.
When you do buy things for the MH look at Camping World as a last resort, they are expensive and have questionable customer support. The first place I look is Amazon.
I use the Geo method (laundry soap and water softener) for the black tank, and don’t drain it until it’s almost full.
Get both 50a to 30a and a 20a to 30a adaptors for your shore power plug in (the black, round one’s rather than the pigtails, Walmarts usually have them).
GPSs and Campground apps are fantastic tools, but don’t forget to stop and get state highway maps at welcome centers so you can see what is around your route and find detours.
And most importantly, enjoy the trip.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOpacker View Post
Thanks for all the info especially the experiences with RV Direct at Des Moines IA. Very relieved to know that folks have not had issues with them. We will be doing something very similar mntlvr in that we will fly in to pick up the unit without ever seeing the 2400W in person. I hope our unit has a few problems as yours mtnman64!

It looks like a solar pannel is in our future since we plan on boondocking a fair amount. Where is the best place to buy items such as the solar pannels, sumo springs, and electrical needs?
I had Camping World install my solar panel and the inverter used with it. Since I am not mechanically inclined, they set me up with the system that would best suit my needs and size of rv.
I am still looking into purchasing Sumo Springs and who installs them.
As for the auto leveling system; I drove my rv for the first year without them, as they are a major expense to install. I decided installing them was worth the expense( I have no regrets.) Carrying a bunch of blocks that take up cargo storage was a pain. Mostly though, I love the quick in-and-out setting up, as I usually don't stay long at a site or use a toad. I REALLY love them in poor, rainy, cold or dark conditions. When I'm tired after a long day of driving- piece of cake! (Maybe I'm biased as I travel solo w/o having a man along to do it for me.)
Adding the rear sway stabilizer was important to me as I drive in windy conditions alot.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #14

" I REALLY love them in poor, rainy, cold or dark conditions. When I'm tired after a long day of driving"

A very simple method of leveling is to place a bubble level in the fridge, then level the rv as close to centered bubble as you can get.

Move the bubble to a spot where its EZ to see and install it level.

Many times simply backing or moving over will get a level bubble in a crappy campsite.

No effort , no $$$ thousands of extra gear to maintain.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #15

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
" I REALLY love them in poor, rainy, cold or dark conditions. When I'm tired after a long day of driving"

A very simple method of leveling is to place a bubble level in the fridge, then level the rv as close to centered bubble as you can get.

Move the bubble to a spot where its EZ to see and install it level.

Many times simply backing or moving over will get a level bubble in a crappy campsite.

No effort , no $$$ thousands of extra gear to maintain.
I used assorted bubble systems first, including the battery powered 4-way bubble system. In my opionion, it's still a pain in the neck getting on your hands and knees with blocks.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:10 PM   #16

Adapters and leveling system

Thanks Skip51 I will check out walmart, I had not thought of getting at 20amp to 30 amp connection. Plus using it a few times is a good idea before spending a bunch of money

mtnlvr is the leveling system different than what comes with the 2400W and if so who makes it and what does it cost and how does it work. Does it add a lot of weight?

Thanks,
Randy and Kathy
Old 03-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #17

miata

Does anyone flat tow a Mazda Miata? If so is there any modifications required?

Tags