Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #21

RV dealers are a shady bunch.. and FR is not even forward with their MSRPs. A few months ago we bought a 2017 that was delivered in early 2016 and used as a rental/demo unit. I have no idea what the MSRP was- but a well known online wholesale dealer quoted me 63,900 for a new 2017. We paid 57,900 for the slightly used, not pristine rental. This is after the dealer got tired of paying interest on the unit 14 months in and was desperate to sell even though they were 'losing thousands on the unit'. I later found the dealer cost on the unit was 56,900 in some title documentation we were not meant to have (found at the back of a kitchen drawer when I was cleaning it up after their so called detail job). Anyway, there are some real numbers to show what kind of a racket this can be. The dealer rented the unit for a year and still cleared 1000 on the sale.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #22

Dealer 'invoice'

You are spot-on. Unlike cars, you will NEVER get the RV dealer to show you the invoice. Of course there is an invoice, because FR needs paid, but it is practically impossible to get your hands on it.

If you are buying a used unit, that invoice is not recoverable - it's not recorded anywhere that I am aware of. If you are buying a new unit, try demanding it. If you get to see it, you have a major advantage in negotiations.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #23

New RV Purchase

We bought right off the lot where we had a large number of brands and models to choose from. We were given an extremely good trade in price, and the net cost was amazing. It happened to be Camping World. Our previous TT was at a show. I think we probably got a good price on it, but not as good a deal as this last one.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #24

My first piece of advice to you is...........Knowledge is Power! Get the knowledge, gain the power and then start shopping.

Take your time and research precisely what you want before you decide to make an offer.

Look at many different makes and models, ask on here how others have fared with each one you are seriously considering. Ask what they LOVE about each model and what they HATE about that model.

After you have it narrowed down to one or two then start shopping. Look at NADA and KBB for the value of the one you are looking at.

Call around to dealers out of your area, tell them PRECISELY what you are looking for, options and all, not just make/model.

Research the service record on here for a particular dealer. Some aer MUCH better than others.

If you were in S Louisiana I would highly recommend Dixie RV in Hammond, LA. We had VERY good results dealing with them (except for their finance guy, he is an ass)

Good Luck, let us know how it goes
Old 09-26-2017, 05:20 PM   #25

We looked for two years before finding the floor plan we liked in the 3051 Forester.

The one we ended up with was 3 years old and well cared for which was nice.

Couldn't find another anywhere in the country for less than about 15k more than what we paid. The NADA guide had our price lower than value which was nice too.

May have to travel though. We found local in Ohio but the unit came from New Jersey since previous owner could not find anything local for a good price.

All the bugs were shook out before we got it which is nice. Did a really good walk thru just in case and got extended warranty to cover anything major. Rest is and has been minor cosmetic things that I have done myself.

When all is said and done, find a way to enjoy the search and process. Will make getting it much sweeter in the long run.

Good luck
Old 09-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #26

New Rv

We try to buy in the Fall. Bought a new 2016 TT last February for 1/2 off list price. Yes, they want to get rid of the models from the year before, just like car dealers. We got the floor plan we wanted too. You have to look on dealer websites, see what they have and keep an eye on what you like. We also went to the lots and looked. If you are in an area with more than 2 dealers not far away, that seems to work out well. Good luck and anytime you order, they've got you because they know you want special things in your RV and you pay for them. We love to camp, just don't want to pay an arm and a leg for something we use only a few times a year. Will use it more when retired! Good luck and have fun finding what you like.
Backcountry Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #27

One thing to keep in mind is warranty service, both for the coach and chassis.
There are two separate warranties to contend with. Even though I purchased the unit from a dealer that has the local Mercedes Benz dealership as well, they do not service Sprinters. I only found this out later. They will perform warranty repairs on the coach, but I have to drive 100 miles to another MB dealer that is authorized to work on the Sprinter chassis.

Since you are looking at the Sprinter, you should confirm where you may get service for BOTH the MB and Forest River warranties.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #28

Keep in mind most RVs are on floor plan. Every second the unit is in stock the more it costs the dealer. Your best price can be had now.
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9graham View Post
I agree FFred we are certainly open to used but so far in researching there are very few out there for sale in the fp we need.. Originally we were set on a 28' Sunseeker but after much looking and thought the driver leg room is lacking for my hubby. The MB has great legroom and we love the 2401W fp. Even when looking for a 28 ' not a lot out there. I guess folks hold on to them, must say something about the quality.
In my opinion, the quality stinks. I've have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours fixing and upgrading our Forester MBS to make it reliable enough. Ours is not currently for sale since I don't want to go through the hassles and troubles again. For the time being, it is meeting our needs and is somewhat problem free. When I do sell it, there won't be a replacement. Buying these things is too much of a crap shoot and I'm not willing to take that kind of risk again.

"Statistics" like "90% of owners have no issues" are completely worthless - since there is no one that accurately compiles this data. So I suggest you approach this purchase with the knowledge that you may be stuck with a poorly built, unreliable RV and dealer service may be poor to non-existent. If needed, you might get helped by the manufacturer or you might not. On the other hand, you may luck out and have no issues at all. Just be prepared...
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #30

We bought "new" because we can't fix any thing...Dynamax Isata 3, good luck so far. I read that the rule of thumb for purchasing new is 30% off of MSRP. Good luck to you
ACMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #31

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
In my opinion, the quality stinks. I've have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours fixing and upgrading our Forester MBS to make it reliable enough. Ours is not currently for sale since I don't want to go through the hassles and troubles again. For the time being, it is meeting our needs and is somewhat problem free. When I do sell it, there won't be a replacement. Buying these things is too much of a crap shoot and I'm not willing to take that kind of risk again.
Just be prepared...
Buying a RV is like buying a house. But then, it is a house-- on wheels. Inspect EVERY little bit before taking delivery. Insist on it. This may PO your salesman, but it has to be done. Run the AC, the water, the heaters, even the dump mechanisms and every little thing else in the coach. Tedious, but DO IT! Drive it, make sure all chassis components work. Have a look at the roof, too. Even ask to take it out for a weekend, if the dealer will let you. I assure you, you WILL find something that needs attention.
After purchase, take a short "shakedown" trip. You WILL find something else that needs attention----no matter the manufacturer. That's why there are warranties.
Just my opinion, but I'd rather find a nice used unit from someone as anal as me that has worked out issues, big or small (running the gamut from faulty drawer latches to radios with poor reception), than starting over with a new unit.
Again, your RV is like a house. There are always maintenance issues that must be addressed. At least there is no lawn to mow!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post

"Statistics" like "90% of owners have no issues" are completely worthless - since there is no one that accurately compiles this data. So I suggest you approach this purchase with the knowledge that you may be stuck with a poorly built, unreliable RV and dealer service may be poor to non-existent. If needed, you might get helped by the manufacturer or you might not. On the other hand, you may luck out and have no issues at all. Just be prepared...
Seems like I hear this a lot for mbs as well as the larger sunseeker on Ford. I am new but assume Jayco would be the same. So what would you buy if you had a chance to do it over?
K9graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:45 PM   #33

If I had to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9graham View Post
Seems like I hear this a lot for mbs as well as the larger sunseeker on Ford. I am new but assume Jayco would be the same. So what would you buy if you had a chance to do it over?
As others have mentioned, I would look for a year old unit previously owned by someone like me with OCD and a low tolerance for shoddy work. If I had to buy new on an MBS chassis, it would be a Leisure Travel Vans Unity. Yes, I know they cost a lot more.

As a first time owner, I am very disappointed with this industry in general, as there is little to no incentive for them to produce quality products. There are only a couple of big players on the "assembly" side and only a couple of large component manufacturers. I should have done a lot more research and prepared myself for the poor to non-existent warranty service and the lack of manufacturer support. My expecatations were way too high and were not met. As they say, your mileage may vary. I hope you have a much better experience and/or your tolerance level is higher than mine.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:44 AM   #34

"My expecatations were way too high and were not met."

Matching your desirements to the real world is part of basic before purchase research.

There is NO PERFECT RV.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
"My expecatations were way too high and were not met."

Matching your desirements to the real world is part of basic before purchase research.

There is NO PERFECT RV.
Apologize for the misspelling. Expectations.

Unfortunately, I bought into the shiny object syndrome and failed to deep dive into the realities of RV ownership. If I had known RV's were thrown together by folks making piecemeal wages, that dealers were not required by contract with the manufacturer to perform warranty maintenance, that it might take months to get warranty service performed (if the dealer is willing to take you in), that component manufacturers were in a race to the bottom to cut costs to the bone and that quality control was essentially non-existent at the factories - I expect I would have made much different choices. (Sorry for the run-on sentence). Or at least I would have set my expectations really low.

I'm sure you were a well educated consumer when you bought your first RV. I applaud you. I'm better educated now and won't make the same mistake(s) again. I should have come to this forum before I purchased. Kudos to the folks who do.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:48 AM   #36

This thread kind of fell off the rails. You can count on at least 20% off the MSRP up front. You can negotiate more, depending on the present demand and how many units the dealer has recently sold. When things were slow, we got 30% off. Be sure to negotiate the drive away price, not just the purchase price.

As for problems -
We are on our fourth RV. The pop-up we bought used and I knew it needed work. It really was excellent training. I fixed a lot of things, upgraded many more. A bit of trial and error, but I liked doing it. I sold it for far more than what I paid for it and enjoyed using it.

Our first TT was a small unit. From what I remember, I only had one issue with it - the shower surround came loose. Not many add-ons to break down. No slides, simple AC with no vents, etc. It was too small, though.

The second TT was bigger. It had many more moving parts. Again, very few problems. We had a couple of minor issues with it (back-splash peeling, slide needed adjusting, wood trim repair, etc.), but we have a good dealer, so those were fixed very quickly. It had more things on it, so a few more things to get looked at.

We are now in a 5er. We love it, but it is filled with many more things to possibly break. Yes, it has had a few minor issues, including it developed a crack in the shower pan. Again, we have a very good dealer, so those were quickly taken care of. We schedule the maintenance ahead of time and it is done when they say it will be done. We have learned what to look for to catch small things before they become large problems. If I can fix it then, I will. If not, I call the dealer and take it in. One more thing, if I need to make a temporary repair, I do it and then let the dealer know what I did, so they aren't surprised, when working on it. If it is something I have not worked on before, I ask to talk to the tech and have him explain what the problem was and how he fixed it.

I think there are four things to take away from this.
1. Learn all you can about how to do things. There are plenty of detailed videos online of what to do for whatever you need to get done. Take a class, ask in forums like this, do something to learn what you can so at least you are an educated consumer.
2. A good dealer is an excellent resource. I take some things to them, just so they continue to remember me. It doesn't take a lot to continue a good relationship. A VERY good point here is pick up your vehicle when you say you will! If you don't, then you get the reputation of not needing it and can be put on the back burner. We pick it up as soon as they say it is ready. It is then ALWAYS ready when they say it will be. Also, if you don't have a good dealer, find a good mobile repair company. Ask around. Someone knows something that can help you.
3. The more bells and whistles, the more to break.
4. There is no perfect ANYTHING! New houses, new cars, ANYTHING! You will have problems, and you will have issues. Use points 1 and 2 to get through them. The less you have of point 2, the more you need point 1 and vice versa.

You work on your house, or find someone to do it. You work on your car, or find someone to do it. Same with your RV.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
This thread kind of fell off the rails.
You are correct. However, the original poster is looking specifically at a Mercedes Benz chassis Class C RV, made by a specific company. If you have experience buying, owning and operating this specific vehicle, your input will only then be relevant to them. If you own something else like a 5er or TT, the pricing points will be different. The prospective purchaser of a class C must bake the chassis cost and any possible discounts into the cake. Generally, 30% off MSRP is where you may buy a new, current model year Class C of this specific type. With that said, everyone will have issues at some point that need to be addressed. A thorough pre-delivery inspection can prevent surprises down the road (literally).
The people that have the most problems speak the loudest. I feel bad for you if you bought a lemon. I feel bad for you if your dealer is a jerk and their service department is horrible. But the vast majority (the silent majority?) get problems resolved under warranty and become very happy campers.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:12 AM   #38

Fact or opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
You are correct. However, the original poster is looking specifically at a Mercedes Benz chassis Class C RV, made by a specific company. If you have experience buying, owning and operating this specific vehicle, your input will only then be relevant to them. If you own something else like a 5er or TT, the pricing points will be different. The prospective purchaser of a class C must bake the chassis cost and any possible discounts into the cake. Generally, 30% off MSRP is where you may buy a new, current model year Class C of this specific type. With that said, everyone will have issues at some point that need to be addressed. A thorough pre-delivery inspection can prevent surprises down the road (literally).
The people that have the most problems speak the loudest. I feel bad for you if you bought a lemon. I feel bad for you if your dealer is a jerk and their service department is horrible. But the vast majority (the silent majority?) get problems resolved under warranty and become very happy campers.
I would love to know the source of the data you use to be able to quote a statistic like this. Your opinion may indeed be correct, but unless you have actual data, it is just an opinion. I think we do a disservice to potential new buyers when we state opinions as facts.

If there were Consumer Report or J.D. Power type rankings of the various makes and models of RV's and travel trailers, information compiled from real data would be a lot more beneficial. To date, I have found nothing like that. Internet forums, while valuable, do not provide meaningful data (in my opinion).
Old 09-29-2017, 05:28 AM   #39

I'll chime in..

Something to consider that a lot of first timers don't know is that rarely does a dealer order a unit for their lot with any options.

For instance, the unit on their lot might all have single pane windows, when you can order double pane windows.

Or a unit on the lot might have a 13.5k BTU AC when they could be ordered with a 15k.

You'll want to ask for a new order build sheet on any unit you are considering. This will show you the options available from the factory so you can compare to units on the lot.

And be a bull dog on the price. I would take no less than 25% off MSRP, I shoot for 30, might take 27...

And ask when a unit was delivered to them. If it was delivered over winter, consider skipping it.. it was likely driven on salted roads to get there.

You might also look around for a gently used Unity van. If I were in the market for a Sprinter chassis RV, Unity would be at the top of my list. I might even consider a Roadtrek.

I didn't have time to read every post here this morning, I';m thinking though a sprinter chassis is what you were aiming for? If I'm wrong, forgive me.
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:46 AM   #40

ON delivery either camp in a corner of the dealers lot for 2-3 days or go to a close campground , with all the books and manuals and work EVERYTHING!

Finding the dump valve was never hooked up is better close to the dealer than far away.

Last thing he wants is you sitting outside his place with a big sign that sez.,

"I bought this yesterday and it doesn't work!"
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags