Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #1

Newbie question on buying a new rv

We are probably less than 6 months from buying. So I would love to hear from the group.
Is it more typical to find a decent (using that loosely) dealer and ordering?
Has anyone bought straight off the lot ?
Is there a benefit to buying at a show?
How much bartering can you do, I have bought all my vehicles through Costco so not looking forward to that part.
Thanks, hope to hear from the group!
K9graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We bought brand new off the lot and the price was $4000. better than the show price.The salesman barely bargained with us and therefore my husband still thinks we paid too much.

There are people here, and I am sure they will chime in, they fly to the factory or use an online site and seem to get great results.

We just bought a Subaru Forester (to tow) using Costco, and it was weirdly very easy, VERY! Never had an experience like that buying a car in the past.

Good Luck to you.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:58 PM   #3

We had been looking for abut 2 yrs still not sure if we were ready to buy. We had narrowed down the rv that we would like but afraid to pay the price for new and started looking at 1 yr old unit off rvtrader Saw one at a dealer but 75 miles way. Called an discussed, talked them to put a hold as work week and could not get there until weekend. They agreed and by Saturday we had purchased. original cost of unit around 36,000.00 by buying 1 yr old only paid 20,00.00. They agreed and have had for 2 yrs an really enjoy my Rockwood Signature Ultra light 5th wheel. Have had no problems other than what I had caused since first RV and 5th wheel that I was not use to pulling. Have learned a lot b being on this forum and reading about repairs and mods. Hope you get what you want and good luck!
RSBivings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Our past two RVs, a HTT and a TT, were both dealer stock and priced WAY lower than if we'd ordered them.
Both were new previous model year trailers that I feel the dealers wanted to get rid of them, to make room for the new year models.

IMHO, you have more negotiation ability for dealer stock, than a factory order.

By the way, I enjoy the bartering process.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #5

We ordered from out of state dealer specializing in out of state purchasing and Canada customers. Saved $10K over best deal at local dealer which was ~30% off of MSRP. I purchased a one way plane ticket to the dealer city and they picked me up at the airport. The entire transaction took about 3 hours. Very easy.

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecopco View Post
We ordered from out of state dealer specializing in out of state purchasing and Canada customers. Saved $10K over best deal at local dealer which was ~30% off of MSRP. I purchased a one way plane ticket to the dealer city and they picked me up at the airport. The entire transaction took about 3 hours. Very easy.
I have heard of folks doing that wondering how you handled any warrenty issues?
Old 09-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #7

All very good advice so far. I've never heard of Costco doing such a thing, I'm gonna check that out.
The previous post about buying an older model year is a very good idea that applies to cars and trucks as well. I'm actually shopping for a new TV right now, and there are some 2017 trucks that dealers really want to get rid of and if you work them hard enough you can get a great deal. The selection might not be as good, but a little research and willingness to travel a few miles will pay off handsomely.
Try this while RV shopping, you might get lucky!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9graham View Post
I have heard of folks doing that wondering how you handled any warrenty issues?

When we had a few things to fix before the 1 year warranty ran out I called FR and told them the dealer that I wanted to take my rig to. The dealer got authorization from FR and took care of all the warranty items. You may have to wait a little longer, but I was able to make an appointment and have the items replaced and repaired with minimal downtime. A lot of local dealers will try to scare you into thinking that they won’t help you with warranty repairs if you don’t buy from them but I have not found this to be the case. Money is money.

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:07 AM   #9

When I bought mine I called a dealer that had the same model (prior year) on their website for a great price. By the time I connected with them it had sold and they offered to order me a new one for the same price, I just had to wait a few months. Saved over $40k off MSRP (yes I know nobody pays MSRP) and over $10k off a comparable 5yr old model with 30k miles on it at a local dealer. Only had a couple of inexpensive items that would have qualified as warranty that I took care of myself because it was considerably faster.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:20 AM   #10

Your first RV probably will not be the last RV.

A 1 year old unit has lost at least 40% of the new sticker price , which nobody pays.

A 1 year old unit will usually have the factory bugs worked out , so is easier to start camping with than factory new.

Lots less hassle and money loss with a fairly new used unit.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:06 AM   #11

I looked at used and only paid a few thousand more that a dealer was asking for used one that didn't have as much. I went to a show and a dealer gave me a price of 5k less than best internet price he just had to order. I ended up not like that one and he couldn't get what I wanted. I walked into local dealer and negotiated before looking at it. I paid 3k less than best internet price to this day and bought it 9 months ago. I would have bought 1 yr oused if price was right.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Your first RV probably will not be the last RV.

A 1 year old unit has lost at least 40% of the new sticker price , which nobody pays.

A 1 year old unit will usually have the factory bugs worked out , so is easier to start camping with than factory new.

Lots less hassle and money loss with a fairly new used unit.
I agree FFred we are certainly open to used but so far in researching there are very few out there for sale in the fp we need.. Originally we were set on a 28' Sunseeker but after much looking and thought the driver leg room is lacking for my hubby. The MB has great legroom and we love the 2401W fp. Even when looking for a 28 ' not a lot out there. I guess folks hold on to them, must say something about the quality.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #13

I bought new right off the lot. I researched for about five years before taking the plunge. I focused my research on local dealers for about the six months prior to purchasing, and watched pricing trends. I went to so many RV shows, I started dreading them. I even checked out of state dealers, up to around 500 miles away. I knew what I wanted in an RV, and I was able to narrow down my search to local dealers and one particular local dealer. I purchased my FR the same day I looked at it, and I got a hell of a bargain, (IMHO).
seagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
All very good advice so far. I've never heard of Costco doing such a thing, I'm gonna check that out.
The previous post about buying an older model year is a very good idea that applies to cars and trucks as well. I'm actually shopping for a new TV right now, and there are some 2017 trucks that dealers really want to get rid of and if you work them hard enough you can get a great deal. The selection might not be as good, but a little research and willingness to travel a few miles will pay off handsomely.
Try this while RV shopping, you might get lucky!
I am in No. California and there are way more dealers with mbs 2401 W in Oregon which is very dooable I will have a look there I think. Thanks for the great feedback.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrace View Post
I bought new right off the lot. I researched for about five years before taking the plunge. I focused my research on local dealers for about the six months prior to purchasing, and watched pricing trends. I went to so many RV shows, I started dreading them. I even checked out of state dealers, up to around 500 miles away. I knew what I wanted in an RV, and I was able to narrow down my search to local dealers and one particular local dealer. I purchased my FR the same day I looked at it, and I got a hell of a bargain, (IMHO).
You sound like you operate like me! I am a researcher I just feel out of my element here because I am unsure of what a fair price is.. Much different than buying a car. So when I see a sticker of say 122k what percentage off won't get me laughed out of the dealership? [emoji13]
Old 09-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9graham View Post
You sound like you operate like me! I am a researcher I just feel out of my element here because I am unsure of what a fair price is.. Much different than buying a car. So when I see a sticker of say 122k what percentage off won't get me laughed out of the dealership? [emoji13]
Tell them you are well informed, start at 80, and don't stray far from it. And if it's a 2017 model instead of an 18, you should start lower. The 17's are being clearanced now at very good prices.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #17

The best deal was the most important for us, and that came from a dealer 2500 miles from home that is only 90 miles from the factory. We ordered in November and picked it up in March. We live in Oregon and a secondary reason for buying close to the factory, we wanted to be the ones putting the first 2500 miles on it, not some delivery guy bent on keeping a schedule.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #18

I agree with low-balling your first offer - if you like to negotiate. I would check other area dealers prices for the same/similar unit, RV trader and even Craigslist - you would be amazed at how many dealers post on Craigslist.

I'm not much of a negotiator, but I'm not afraid to walk away either. I would make sure there are no "dealer prep" fees, or other add-ons and I would ask for them to sweeten the deal by adding amenities - maybe a flat-screen if one is not included, or a weight-distributing hitch (if that's what style you are looking for), maybe backup cameras, etc.

Don't be afraid to ask for more, the worst they can say is no, and don't be afraid to walk away. Don't let the salesman play on your emotions and after he/she makes the pitch, ask for time alone or with your partner to discuss it and maybe look at the units again - alone. Look at everything. Open doors, look under stuff.
seagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #19

We've purchased many units over the years at dealerships.. Best buy was 1st sprinter model Show Price. (35% roughly off msrp). Replaced with our 2nd Sprinter model last year at a show and roughly 30% off msrp. Ordered that 1 from factory, new model year etc.. Looking back should have been able to do same deal at Local dealership and usually best for service (however I did find a dealership that has given me good service near home (Hopefully don't need much but if quality of service good while I have this unit.. will Strongly try and deal with them when that day comes). I typically replace every 5-6 years.. TIP> Stay away from a Sprinter model with the corner bed.. gets old quick!
TNSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #20

Rent First! Then decide to buy

Renting will tell you what features you like and don't like.

Once negotiating, always be prepared to walk away. A tactic I use is when I am sitting across the desk from a sales person I put my keys upon the desk within his/her view. My wife knows when I grab the car keys we are getting ready to walk. I literally have had sales people chasing me down when I was opening the car door.

I suggest just being up front with a sales rep and saying, look, at the end of the day, the selling price is going to boil down to what you will take for it and what I am willing to pay for it. Let's both save ourselves some time and tell me what you have to have for this unit.

Then offer $2,000 less.....
YoBobH42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags